Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #46
Advanced Member

So far so good! I wouldn't use the cardboard however- you might get sued by Harley for copyright infringement! Sorry, my bad! Looks good so far,so you gave up on the 2 sided box arrangement? I just had my batwing off for repaint and I was looking at the frame and I think a 2 piece bolt together box would work - plus the wiring could then be routed thru a side hole and then out the middle into the harley fairing? Just a thought.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #47
Top Contributor

Most of the wiring is already in between the forks so it'll stay there. I'm still working on the mount. I want to get with someone by next weekend to make it. I can't move on with the major things until I get a mount.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #48

I realize there are differences in the Nomad and the RG as far as mounting goes, but I saw this on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/road-glide-f...#ht_500wt_1413
and thought I would pass it on to you.
I have always loved the "sharknose" fairings and I am very anxious for the end result of your project.
I am only about an hour away from you so perhaps there will be an opportunity to ride together sometime in the future.

Rensselaer, Indiana

Old 01-03-2012, 03:03 AM   #49
Top Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, Nubbs but I'll have to have a custom bracket made. The Road Glide (and Tour Glide) were made with 2 holes drilled in the frame directly behind the steering head. There's no space for these on the Nomad. :( I'll have to utilize the upper frame rail. I'll drill out the hole(s) that the plastic (cosmetic) cover screws into then probably drill one more hole (through both sides) an inch or two behind that. I was hoping to use the front gas tank bolt but there's not enough room to get a bracket over that without interfering with the tank. I was going to wrap a bracket under the frame rail but the rail is odd shaped so I can't do that, either. Hopefully, I'll be good with what I've planned.

We'll go riding this summer for sure. There are a few of us in the same general area. toy4bob lives in Warsaw and I've run across 24 quite a bit last fall. It's a quiet enough route.

I'm kind of stalled in the project right now waiting on more cash. I can't move on until I have that pesky main bracket. I'm hoping to get that done in the next couple of weeks. Then the hard part begins (wiring).
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #50

Good luck with the project. Should be a sweet looking ride once it all comes together.

Rensselaer, Indiana

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #51
Top Contributor

Spent most of the day today on the fairing although I didn't get a whole lot accomplished. I temporarily clamped the lower mounting brackets to the fairing so I could do some final measuring for the main bracket (I'll have to drill new holes and I don't want to do that until I bolt it to the main bracket. I can move the lowers easier than I can a solid center mount.

I had to cut away a good deal of the headlight brackets (yup, it's 3 parts) so the H4 headlight assys would fit (they were designed for sealed beams). Keep in mind, I'm doing EVERYTHING with a Dremel. Think I'll buy a new one and send them a thumbs up when I'm finished. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of the headlight bezels.

For those that don't know, there are 2 glove boxes (with hinged covers). On the Tour Glide, those covers are secured by keyed locks. The locks that came with the fairing were old, missing the keys, and basically useless (except for the latch part) so I ditched them. It's tough to find parts for an old fairing so I improvised and bought some cabinet locks. They're pretty close to the HD ones, but the square part of the back (that keeps the latch from spinning uselessly) was too big for the HD latches, so....I ground them down. Then I had to grind the flat sides of the locks so they'd fit in the holes in the fairing. It would have been easier to grind a bit of the fiberglass fairing hole but if the locks didn't work, it's easier to throw out the locks than to repair fiberglass. I didn't take any pics of the one I did today but I'll try to remember to do so when I work on the 2nd one tonight.

There's SO much work left to do (install gauges, wiring, stereo/speakers, plus the mounts, trim, etc) but it's temporarily on the bike so I feel better.

My head hurts too bad to continue any more today so I'll pick things up tonight. Besides, it's about my bedtime.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Last edited by Monkeyman; 03-06-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #52
Advanced Member

That's going to be nice and original. The dash looks high.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #53

Looking good.and alot of modding to mske it work lol. way too much for me,But since you may offer step by step instructions more Glide fairings may follow :)

Old 01-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #54
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese72 View Post
That's going to be nice and original. The dash looks high.
It's rediculously high with the stereo mount. The Tour Glide is a much flatter bike so you definitely look over it more than through it on that. Feels funny not being able to see the front fender anymore. Just something I'll have to get used to, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radco View Post
Looking good.and alot of modding to mske it work lol. way too much for me,But since you may offer step by step instructions more Glide fairings may follow :)
Step by step, maybe. It would take quite a work up. I hope more follow my lead.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #55
Advanced Member

Looks great! I wouldn't worry about seeing over the fairing as long as you can see the ground 50 feet in front of you that is. Remember that when you are doing slow turns you are looking where you want to go, not in front of you.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 01-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #56
Top Contributor

The only time I can see it being an issue is going in to the parking lot at work. They have a bike section divided from the rest of the parking lot with cement parking blocks. You have to be careful riding in between the first set of them as they're only about a foot apart. Same leaving. Other than that, I'll be good. It's just a learning curve and 90% of my riding is on the road anyway.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #57
Sr. Contributor

Looks different, but it's growing on me.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #58
Top Contributor

I think, when it's all done, alot of people will like it. Probably not enough to do the same thing but they'll like it just the same. As long as I like it, that's all that counts in the end.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #59
Mega-Contributor

You'll get used to not seeing the front wheel in no time. All of us with fairings had to do it. It's not a big deal.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #60

Chris, starting to take shape but I have one question..... What's that red thing with the handle in the picture that's leaning against the wall ???
VBA # 1234
VROC # 32837
Patriot Guard Riders
Naval Advisory Group Vietnam 69-70