Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #46

I'm to poor to buy a new VAQ. So i'm going to turn my nomad into one( more or less ). But one day I will own a vaquero. I hope you like yours as much as i do. As far as owning a HD Never gona happen
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
Thank you! By the way, have you replaced the stock seat, or do you find it comfortable enough?
I bought the kawasaki gel seat at the same time. I think it raises me an inch or so, enough to make the 9" cee bailey's shield a tad too short (for me). I ride with the stock seat most often, unless the wife is with me for a longer ride. The gel seat is wider for her, but she says even the stock is okay for shorter rides.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
cheriann, I see you on FB all the time and it is nice to see you diving back into this site. You will enjoy the Vaquero. Just go slow for a while until you get used to the larger mass over the 900.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #49

Looks great,guys

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment,not only about survival

Old 04-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #50

Thumbs Up Blue

I Love the bike she wants. I will have to wait for a little while longer though. She gets the next pick on the bikes, but, I get the next pick of cars. Can you say Camaro!!!!!

Once Chuckster comes up with a Tow Hitch for her new bike she will be puling a trailer with her Luggage....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post
I bought the kawasaki gel seat at the same time. I think it raises me an inch or so, enough to make the 9" cee bailey's shield a tad too short (for me). I ride with the stock seat most often, unless the wife is with me for a longer ride. The gel seat is wider for her, but she says even the stock is okay for shorter rides.
I did notice the gel seat and wondered how it was. I have a Corbin on my 900 that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE....but it's $800 to get one for the Vaquero

Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
cheriann, I see you on FB all the time and it is nice to see you diving back into this site. You will enjoy the Vaquero. Just go slow for a while until you get used to the larger mass over the 900.
LOL! Are you saying I "talk" too much over there?!!

I plan on taking my time with it. As I mentioned earlier, Chaz is hoping I think it is too much bike for me and trade with him

Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz View Post
I Love the bike she wants. I will have to wait for a little while longer though. She gets the next pick on the bikes, but, I get the next pick of cars. Can you say Camaro!!!!!

Once Chuckster comes up with a Tow Hitch for her new bike she will be puling a trailer with her Luggage....
Yeah, yeah, yeah.....just remember I will be driving that Camaro into Washington, DC traffic for work!!!!!!

As for the tow hitch...once I get one for my Vaquero, that will mean I will be able to pack MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!!!! I'll have YOUR trailer and MINE to carry it all!!! Hey, if it helps, I'll offer up space in my saddle bags for your stuff!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah.....just remember I will be driving that Camaro into Washington, DC traffic for work!!!!!!

As for the tow hitch...once I get one for my Vaquero, that will mean I will be able to pack MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!!!! I'll have YOUR trailer and MINE to carry it all!!! Hey, if it helps, I'll offer up space in my saddle bags for your stuff!
That's funny! But, so true. That's the way it usually works out. I don't care how much talk these guys have. They've all been there.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #55

Don't know if the driver seat on the Nomad & Vaq are the same. I know the passenger seats are way different. I think the driver seat on the Nomad & Voyager are the same. Anyways, I've been really pleased with the OEM seat on my Nomad & have no plans of changing it. Did a couple 12 hr days down to Fl in Nov & was really comfortable the whole time. The driver backrest & highway pegs are a must though! Hopefully, your Vaq will be as comfy as the Nomad & save you that $!

VBA #01922

Last edited by Pitchinguy; 04-26-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #56

Just a few other things I neglected to mention, mostly on setup once you've got your new Beastie...

First, tire pressures, MaKawi recommends 28psi front which seems crazy. The front has no feel, it seemed lazy and pushes and I'd suspect tire cupping problems for such a heavy bike as such low pressures. I experimented with different tire pressures and really liked 35psi front, 40psi rear. I weigh 145 pounds and always ride solo, this pressure setup gave a stable, neutral handling front and is showing no abnormal wear, if it wasn't for the fact I'd touch down some of the hard bits I could easily run these tires out to their edge now.

The belt... Kawi calls for 3-4.5mm deflection, wow that's tight! When I rode Harley the belt was always kept at 3/8" to 7/16", 9.5-11.1mm. I put the Vaquero to 7/16"... A hot topic, but considering the rear end is now running quiet I'm going to believe I'm on the right path...

Air shocks... I ended up at 10psi for a nice easy chair ride with the rebound set to 2, as I said, I'm 145 pounds so adjust up or down based on your weight...

Pictures... post some when you get your Vaquero!

Last edited by DarkStar; 04-26-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: lingo edit

Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchinguy View Post
Don't know if the driver seat on the Nomad & Vaq are the same. I know the passenger seats are way different. I think the driver seat on the Nomad & Voyager are the same. Anyways, I've been really pleased with the OEM seat on my Nomad & have no plans of changing it. Did a couple 12 hr days down to Fl in Nov & was really comfortable the whole time. The driver backrest & highway pegs are a must though! Hopefully, your Vaq will be as comfy as the Nomad & save you that $!
Thanks Pitchinguy! WOW! That's a first...I've never heard anyone say they are comfortable with the stock seat. Maybe Kawi finally made one we can live with!!!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Just a few other things I neglected to mention, mostly on setup once you've got your new Beastie...

First, tire pressures, MaKawi recommends 28psi front which seems crazy. The front has no feel, it seemed lazy and pushes and I'd suspect tire cupping problems for such a heavy bike as such low pressures. I experimented with different tire pressures and really liked 35psi front, 40psi rear. I weigh 145 pounds and always ride solo, this pressure setup gave a stable, neutral handling front and is showing no abnormal wear, if it wasn't for the fact I'd touch down some of the hard bits I could easily run these tires out to their edge now.

The belt... Kawi calls for 3-4.5mm deflection, wow that's tight! When I rode Harley the belt was always kept at 3/8" to 7/16", 9.5-11.1mm. I put the Vaquero to 7/16"... A hot topic, but considering the rear end is now running quiet I'm going to believe I'm on the right path...

Air shocks... I ended up at 10psi for a nice easy chair ride with the rebound set to 2, as I said, I'm 145 pounds so adjust up or down based on your weight...

Pictures... post some when you get your Vaquero!
Oh boy!!! Thank you for added tips!!!! I have copied and saved to a Word doc so that I can remember all the numbers and settings!!!!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #59
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
Hey CJ

I know you are a big fan of the HD endless accessories because you mention it frequently but I guess I am wondering what the value in that really is?

Any time I have needed a part or accessory for my Nomad I have been able to find or get it easily so I don't see the advantage to the expansive HD catalog? If I needed parts every day or week maybe it would be an issue but buying a few a year is easy.

Now maybe there is a bunch of stuff I don't want or need but if I want chrome, bigger windshields, horns, seats, accessory mounts, lowers, fender bibbs, emblems, lights, clocks, white walls, backrests, gauges, fuel processors, exhaust pipes, trunks, cruise control, replacement parts, etc for my Nomad they can all be found with a couple clicks. They may not be in one neat little catalog but they are easy to find. I assume many of the HD parts still need to be ordered and obviously most of them are made by someone other than HD and HD just puts their name on them...So why is the catalog such a big feature?

I know you have owned both a Nomad and an HD so you have experience with both. Not looking for comparison in the bikes because they are different price points.

Everytime you bring up the accessory issue I just scratch my head and ask "why is that such a big deal?". So I guess I need to ask you the question.
The lack of accessories (both OEM and aftermarket) is one of the few real gripes I had about my nomad. It's also why I didn't seriously consider a new nomad or a vaquero or voyager. You shouldn't have to buy a Harley sportster solo rack for your nomad. They should make a shock air balance kit for it, you should be able to easily purchase a rebuild kit or a performance kit to juice up the bike, if that's what you want.

But mostly, I just think 15 pages of accessories is pretty pathetic. It's like Kaw has decided "yep, that's all anybody is ever going to need" and that's it.

I guess it boils down to having more than one option. Having only one option is having no option at all.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #60

Send a message via Yahoo to galax83061
I put on the Kawasaki Gel seat and it makes a hell of a difference in the ride.
VBA #02024