Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #61

Should be picking up a new 2011 black Vaquero this weekend. I had already made up my mind pretty much after test riding, but this thread pretty much adds the sugar coating to the decision!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #62
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Should be picking up a new 2011 black Vaquero this weekend. I had
already made up my mind pretty much after test riding, but this thread pretty much adds
the sugar coating to the decision!
Duff, welcome to the forum and post some photos.
No photos, it didn't happen.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 04-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Yep, there's no Chinese made officially licensed t-shirts, or key chains, or bar and shield underwear, or anything else that doesn't have to do with the actual motorcycling experience... That's left for the Milwaukee based make-believe...

Oh, I forgot, speaking of accessories and whatnot...

Why do Harley riders need to have chrome on all their parts?

It makes them easier to spot on the side of the road....

heh
fantastic! on my trip to arkansas the only bikes that broke down were late model ultra classics and road glides...watched two get push started, one had a starter problem...saw a road glide ultra go into the show for clutch issues...one went to change the oil, and they rebuilt his heads...(19k on the odo) But they did give him a loaner for the weekend.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Too bad you really don't know what you're talking about. There aren't tshirts or key chains or cat collars in the HD P&A book, just 850 pages of parts and accessories. There's more than 15 pages of nothing but seats.
Yeah, our pres. used to ride a valkyrie, my father used to have a shadow...both now own multiple harleys and have spent thousands on accessories...both rarely ride anymore, and have the shop come pick up their bikes, change the oil, detail them, and drop them off at the house when they are done. Dad has had his bike as long as ive had the vaquero, and he has 1000 miles on it, I will hit 7k on the way home today (1st week in Jan. to the last week in Mar.) It just depends on what you want. As far as performance and longevity Kawi has HD whooped...if you want a fancy cam, or bolt on accessories, that can be purchased in a catalog then HD might be for you, their paint is exceptional though...I plan on doing custom pain once the bike is paid for anyway...any other parts I need would also be custom fabbed...harley riders used to have that mind set...some still do, like my Compound brothers down south...Honestly, dad used to be pretty cool, but now he has sold out, even his underwear say HD on them...it isn't about rebelling or freedom anymore, it is about keeping up with the Jone's...being "one of the herd" ...but they have cool commercials.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by element80 View Post
Yeah, our pres. used to ride a valkyrie, my father used to have a shadow...both now own multiple harleys and have spent thousands on accessories...both rarely ride anymore, and have the shop come pick up their bikes, change the oil, detail them, and drop them off at the house when they are done. Dad has had his bike as long as ive had the vaquero, and he has 1000 miles on it, I will hit 7k on the way home today (1st week in Jan. to the last week in Mar.) It just depends on what you want. As far as performance and longevity Kawi has HD whooped...if you want a fancy cam, or bolt on accessories, that can be purchased in a catalog then HD might be for you, their paint is exceptional though...I plan on doing custom pain once the bike is paid for anyway...any other parts I need would also be custom fabbed...harley riders used to have that mind set...some still do, like my Compound brothers down south...Honestly, dad used to be pretty cool, but now he has sold out, even his underwear say HD on them...it isn't about rebelling or freedom anymore, it is about keeping up with the Jone's...being "one of the herd" ...but they have cool commercials.
Some of the shops around here even have "Custom" in their name, but won't touch any project that can't be wholly purchased and bolted on. haha.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
Thank you!!! It's funny you mention the Voyager vs Vaquero. I have already been getting that from others, but I am firm that I want the Vaquero
Get the green one. It is bad ass! Our local dealer has one with 21 inch wheel on front performane air inductoin system with cover that matches the front wheel, and cobra tri-ovals. The tri ovals match the bags perfectly. My wife loves the comfort of our voyager. If i was riding solo the vaquero is pretty nice.
Vulcan Bagger #01989
2013 Road Glide Ultra
2013 Softail Deluxe
2011 Voyager 1700 ABS (traded)
2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 (traded)
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Gone but not forgotten)
2007 Vulcan Classic 1600

Old 04-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by element80 View Post
I have a buddy that has an AWESOME looking street glide with a custom paint job. I think he's put 6 starters on it, and he now has a Victory that he rides any time he is going out of town because the HD quits on him so much. He talks trash about "rice burners" but one day when I was at his house by myself without witnesses he said his first choice was the white/beige voyager but he didn't want the same color bike I got so he got the Victory. Not knocking the HDs, they're ok bikes, but I like to feel confident that I can go on a long distance trip and know with some certainty that my bike is gonna make it.

Oh yeah, plus my bike cost almost 10,000 less than a comparable Harley.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #68
Top Contributor

Nothing wrong with the Harleys from the last 15 years or so. They had more issues before that (and tons of issues back in the AMF days). I think it's funny when everyone tries to compare the Electra/Street Glides (or Road Glides) with a Nomad. They aren't supposed to be the same kind of bikes. The Nomad is Kawasakis version of the Road King which is only sort of a touring bike. The Harleys really strong suit is resale value. You can't buy many (any?) metrics, keep them for 5 years then resell them for 80+% of the original price like you can with a Harley. The initial cost of a Harley isn't really that far off a comparable Kawasaki. A new Voyager is $18k. A new Ultra (either Road or Electra Glide) is around $23k. That's only $5k difference. The '09 and up HD touring bikes will run circles around the VV/Nomad, too. The big difference is cooling and details. The Kaws are water cooled and the fit/finish on the Harleys leaves most of the rest in the dust. Go to a big bike night and see if you can find a late model VV next to a late model Road Glide or Electra Glide. You'll see the difference.

I prefer water cooling and the riding position of the Nomad (at least mine) is great but my next bike will probably be a Harley.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Should be picking up a new 2011 black Vaquero this weekend. I had already made up my mind pretty much after test riding, but this thread pretty much adds the sugar coating to the decision!
That's GREAT!!! I'm so glad this helped you out too!!! I was afraid I was beating a dead horse bringing this up again, when I know the Vaquero has been discussed at length already

Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarriker View Post
Get the green one. It is bad ass! Our local dealer has one with 21 inch wheel on front performane air inductoin system with cover that matches the front wheel, and cobra tri-ovals. The tri ovals match the bags perfectly. My wife loves the comfort of our voyager. If i was riding solo the vaquero is pretty nice.
I honestly haven't seen the green one yet. I wonder why they charge another $1,000 on the asking price for that color?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #71
VBA Founder

I fell in love with the green and black Vaquero since attending the Kawasaki Dealers show in Orlando last October. Many don't like that color scheme, but in person, that bike kicks ass. Do you know what bike took the show? The beige and gold Voyager for 2012. Fully loaded, that's one hell of a bike.

My plan is to get a Voyager in the next two years and ride it along with my 2005 Nomad. If my wife didn't ride with me, I'd probably get a Vaq. I think after getting the Voyager, I might trick the Nomad out. Who knows.

I don't want to single anyone out.... but CJ, keep in mind where you are and what type of forum you're on. And remember, it's all good.... the main point is that we all ride.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Last edited by trip; 04-30-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #72
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=trip;424436]I fell in love with the green and black Vaquero since attending the Kawasaki Dealers show in Orlando last October. Many don't like that color scheme, but in person, that bike kicks ass. QUOTE]

I've got to agree, pictures don't do the green / black combo justice...you have got to see it in person...course I might be a little prejudice :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new_vaquero2.jpg (100.3 KB, 29 views)

Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #73

[QUOTE=tazfl;424472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
I fell in love with the green and black Vaquero since attending the Kawasaki Dealers show in Orlando last October. Many don't like that color scheme, but in person, that bike kicks ass. QUOTE]

I've got to agree, pictures don't do the green / black combo justice...you have got to see it in person...course I might be a little prejudice :)

That is a sweet color combo!

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarriker View Post
I saw that bike on YouTube! That 21" front wheel makes that bike a sweet looking ride! I think I'd really consider that set up if I can ever get myself to buy a new Vaquero. It really makes the bike look custom!

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #75

[QUOTE=tazfl;424472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
I fell in love with the green and black Vaquero since attending the Kawasaki Dealers show in Orlando last October. Many don't like that color scheme, but in person, that bike kicks ass. QUOTE]

That is sharp looking!