Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
What I find funny is that I NEVER CALLED IT A SECRET!!
RACNRAY
You developed a cure for the problem.
You would not divulge the process for the cure.
That makes it a secret.
That being said, I do not blame you in the least for not sharing the process.
You invested your time and money to come up with the cure and found it was marketable. Why anyone would feel you should give away the process for free is beyond me.
I know you took a lot of flack for not divulging the process when you first joined the forum and you still stayed here, I congratulate you on your ability to take the criticism and your patience.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #77

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by top cat View Post
you developed a cure for the problem.
You would not divulge the process for the cure.
That makes it a secret.
That being said, i do not blame you in the least for not sharing the process.
You invested your time and money to come up with the cure and found it was marketable. Why anyone would feel you should give away the process for free is beyond me.
I know you took a lot of flack for not divulging the process when you first joined the forum and you still stayed here, i congratulate you on your ability to take the criticism and your patience. :d
Thanx

RACNRAY

Old 08-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #78
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
I bet his secret has something to do with mice running on a wheel!??? I'm sworn to secrecy. That's all I can divulge at the moment.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #79

I'm not meaning to take away from anything that he may legitimately have discovered or spent time on. Perhaps he discovered something and wanted his time and effort to pay off from his work.

I and thousands of others have also discovered a similar thing (or perhaps the same thing), and have no problem sharing it for free. Google "Quick Throttle Mod".

I guess I don't see anything wrong with either one of those ideas.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #80

Geez... a bunch of anti-capitalist around here. WTF?

Embarrassing to see that... not to mention painful.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Geez... a bunch of anti-capitalist around here. WTF?

Embarrassing to see that... not to mention painful.
Obama,s plan is coming together.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #82
Sr. Contributor

Hey Ray!!!

YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT! SOMEONE ELSE DID!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #83
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Hey Ray!!!

YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT! SOMEONE ELSE DID!
OMG....Brad...you're killing me.....

Ray spent a good amount of his shop's time machining and dyno-testing, and far be it from me to object to seeing him make a few dollars in return for the effort. His pre-modified aftermarket grips are the bomb....and made a huge difference on my Voyager......so sell as many as you can Ray....ain't America (still) great?

"This message brought to you by a believer in the free market system....and I approve this message"
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #84
Sr. Contributor

thanks Kris. I gave Ray his props. It is a very old mod done on dirt bikes up to 10 years ago. I'd buy Ray's if I didn't want to take the time to build it myself.

Member # 0005

Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #85
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
thanks Kris. I gave Ray his props. It is a very old mod done on dirt bikes up to 10 years ago. I'd buy Ray's if I didn't want to take the time to build it myself.
I can't say one way or another if he ever claimed it was a "new idea". Obviously it is not. What I do know is that he claimed to be making/selling modified throttle grips that would help your cruiser scoot along better....and that it does. I'm not against anyone making their own...and I'm not against paying someone a few bucks to make it for me..... I chose the latter.....

Either way it is a real improvement over the stock grip, whatever side of the fence you fall. Like Greg, I just find it a little annoying that people are so quick to criticize the guy for making them available via the "free market". It's okay if you want to make your own, but don't bash a guy for selling them to people who willingly and happily send him money to provide the modified grips for us....that's just un-American.....
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Last edited by Netnorske; 08-27-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #86

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
OMG....Brad...you're killing me.....

Ray spent a good amount of his shop's time machining and dyno-testing, and far be it from me to object to seeing him make a few dollars in return for the effort. His pre-modified aftermarket grips are the bomb....and made a huge difference on my Voyager......so sell as many as you can Ray....ain't America (still) great?

"This message brought to you by a believer in the free market system....and I approve this message"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
I can't say one way or another if he ever claimed it was a "new idea". Obviously it is not. What I do know is that he claimed to be making/selling modified throttle grips that would help your cruiser scoot along better....and that it does. I'm not against anyone making their own...and I'm not against paying someone a few bucks to make it for me..... I chose the latter.....

Either way it is a real improvement over the stock grip, whatever side of the fence you fall. Like Greg, I just find it a little annoying that people are so quick to criticize the guy for making them available via the "free market". It's okay if you want to make your own, but don't bash a guy for selling them to people who willingly and happily send him money to provide the modified grips for us....that's just un-American.....
THANX..your support humbles me and I am grateful!! :)

Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #87

I didn't see where anyone bashed Ray. If that is what people thought I was trying to do, I'm sorry as it was not my intention.

From my understanding, the free market allows the consumer to determine the value of an item. Whatever someone is willing to pay is what it's worth, so to speak. As the market gets more familiar and flooded with an item, the item's perceived value decreases. By repackaging an item, it appears to be new again and regains value. I doubt that was Ray's intention, but it's exactly what has happened.

It's not my money, so why would I care how other people spend it? I thought this was a forum for sharing ideas of, among other things, how to be more self-sufficient--how to make things or do things from home instead of buying them or taking the bike to the dealership. Sharing how to service your swing arm instead of being forced to go to the dealership isn't anti-american nor is it anti-capitalistic.

I also don't think of it as un-american or anti-capitalistic to share with others how to make a similar item for free. Sure, Ray is someone that we can relate with, a real person and not a big company, but if this was a popular mod by Kuryakyn everyone would be shouting with joy if we figured out how to make it on our own.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
I didn't see where anyone bashed Ray. If that is what people thought I was trying to do, I'm sorry as it was not my intention.

From my understanding, the free market allows the consumer to determine the value of an item. Whatever someone is willing to pay is what it's worth, so to speak. As the market gets more familiar and flooded with an item, the item's perceived value decreases. By repackaging an item, it appears to be new again and regains value. I doubt that was Ray's intention, but it's exactly what has happened.

It's not my money, so why would I care how other people spend it? I thought this was a forum for sharing ideas of, among other things, how to be more self-sufficient--how to make things or do things from home instead of buying them or taking the bike to the dealership. Sharing how to service your swing arm instead of being forced to go to the dealership isn't anti-american nor is it anti-capitalistic.

I also don't think of it as un-american or anti-capitalistic to share with others how to make a similar item for free. Sure, Ray is someone that we can relate with, a real person and not a big company, but if this was a popular mod by Kuryakyn everyone would be shouting with joy if we figured out how to make it on our own.
Fair enough Jared... but not on the same thread about someone's product/service. That just seems to be in poor taste. JMHO

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #89
Sr. Contributor

Those are good points Jared. Let the man recoup for his efforts. Let
the home mechanic enjoy his efforts.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #90
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post

All good points Jared....but I think lost in the equation is that Ray put himself out there a bit with honorable intentions to provide a product/service that no one else was fulfilling....and despite rave reviews has taken some unnecessary heat in the process from any number of people both here and on other forums. JMHO.
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Last edited by Netnorske; 08-28-2012 at 10:31 AM.