Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Passenger backrest vibration

Question, see if anyone else has this problem and what they did to fix it.

I have the stock passenger backrest on my 2005 Nomad. It vibrates enough to drive my wife crazy where she has to stop and scratch her back. At first I thought she was nuts, but she lifted up her shirt and her back was all red from being itchy. Yes, the backrest is bolted tight, it's just the vibration from the engine.

Same thing happens when my boy rides back there, and he's not a little boy either.

The only way my wife can take it for more than a mile or two, is to put a small pillow under her coat so it doesn't cause itching.

Anyone else's passengers experience this? I've seen some other comments on the web about the Nomad and passenger backrest causing itching.

If you had this problem, what did your passenger do to stop the problem?

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Yep, I'd say it's a common problem.
My wife noticed it but didn't complain too much.
It got a little better after I put rubber washers between the back rest and the bracket.

After I installed the V&H pipes, it got worse.
I've been trying to think of a way to put a black sheep skin pad on it.
Some have bought Mustang pads but I'm shooting for a cheaper solution first.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

I'm not sure but I think there was a thread about this maybe a year back.
I just asked my wife as she has spent some long hours on the back of my bike. No issues for her at all, but she did ask what type of coat your wife wears. My wife wears either a heavily padded leather MC jacket or a ballistic nylon Joe Rocket jacket depending on the temp or her mood.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #4

My wife didn't ever mention this problem, and we rode many 600+ mile days together, but she also always wore a heavy motorcycle jacket.....FirstGear Kilimanjaro. So maybe it is differences in bikes, or maybe just the jacket. Mufflers were stock, baffles in.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to dabull

i can understand the backrest shaking, but the mufflers making it worse??

I like the rubber washer idea...maybe the thicker the better?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Advanced Member

I should of mentioned, everything is stock for pipes. She has tried different jackets, shirts, etc. I've tried to think of something to 'slip on' it for when she rides but haven't quite thought of a good solution yet.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 03-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham
I should of mentioned, everything is stock for pipes. She has tried different jackets, shirts, etc. I've tried to think of something to 'slip on' it for when she rides but haven't quite thought of a good solution yet.
Ok, then the only thing I can think of is your bike vibrates, or at least the back rest, more than mine. What is the mileage, do the handle bars vibrate, is there any particular rpm that is worse?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #8

My wife had the same itchy back until I added the tourpack with the wraparound backrest. The OEM backrest vibrated because it was mounted so solid. The trunk has a little springback in the mounting bracket which lessens the vibration.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 03-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #9

I also have an '05 and deal with the same issue. My wife can't put up with the vibration very long. I have a gel type seat pad (folded double) I mount on the back rest which cushions much of the vibration and gives her a lot more comfort for longer rides. I have discussed this in a thread at length here some time ago which resulted in no real resolve. I imagine some bikes are worse than others but I do believe it's an inherent characteristic of the bike. I notice that vibration at the base of the backrest isn't bad but as you move up towards the top of the backrest it intensifies greatly. The vibration is also most noticeable in a certain RPM range. I just sat on and ran an '08 and feel the 'same' sort of vibration I feel on my bike. I'm wondering if guys that have installed aftermarket trunks/tour packs in place of the stock backrest have noticed an improvement for passenger comfort ?? Any more help/suggestions on this issue would certainly make me a happier camper.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #10

Cajun - did u install the Mutazu/DMY style trunk?? If so..what do u think of it...durability/construction etc. How did u mount it? If you have any pics they would be helpful. Thanks

Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
Advanced Member

I've got 16,000 miles on it now. I don't notice any vibration myself other than regular motorcycle vibrations, but then again, I'm never on the back riding as passenger. I have Mustang seats on it with the driver backrest, no problem there.

No abnormal vibration in the handlebars, don't know if the passenger backrests vibrates differently at different RPM's.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #12

I had the problem when I had a tall Cobra backrest mounted directly to the fender struts. When I got a Jardine quick release backrest the problem abated. The Jardine mounts on "spools" attached to the fender strut, so it is slightly isolated.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 03-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez
Cajun - did u install the Mutazu/DMY style trunk?? If so..what do u think of it...durability/construction etc. How did u mount it? If you have any pics they would be helpful. Thanks
Rez, It is a Mutazu DMY. I've had it on the bike going on 3 years. You get what you pay for but it has served us well. I've replaced the rubber lid gasket twice, the locking mechanism once, and the bottom finally cracked a few months ago. But for a little over $100, what can I say. I fabricated my mounting bracket out of 1 1/2" x 3/16" flatbar shaped like a U and welded a 3/4" pipe nipple on the ends of the U that mount where the backrest mounted. I welded 4 tabs on the inside of the U that the trunk bolts down to. I have a pice of 3/16" alluminum that is sized to fit inside of the bottom of the trunk and another the size of the exterior bottom of the trunk. The base of the trunk is sandwiched between the 2 pieces of alluminum and bolted to the U bracket. Had the U and the posts chromed at a local shop. I have some pictures somewhere on Photobucket that I'll dig up and post for you.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 03-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham
I've got 16,000 miles on it now. I don't notice any vibration myself other than regular motorcycle vibrations, but then again, I'm never on the back riding as passenger. I have Mustang seats on it with the driver backrest, no problem there.

No abnormal vibration in the handlebars, don't know if the passenger backrests vibrates differently at different RPM's.
I'm wondering if there is a way of dampening it. This may sound funny, but something like filling the main tube with foam using expanding foam crack sealer might dampen or change the amplitude to the point it is not bothersome.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #15
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
I'm not sure but I think there was a thread about this maybe a year back.
I just asked my wife as she has spent some long hours on the back of my bike. No issues for her at all, but she did ask what type of coat your wife wears. My wife wears either a heavily padded leather MC jacket or a ballistic nylon Joe Rocket jacket depending on the temp or her mood.
You're right. Every so often this question gets asked, so it must be a real issue for some. Unfortunately, I don't ride 2 up and I have a tourpak with a wraparound backrest, so I can't offer any personal insight.

My only advice would be to try and isolate the backrest with rubber dampeners to reduce the vibration, or replace the backrest with a tourpak.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17