Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #1

Bashing Harley's

I for one have been eyeballing the Ultra Classics for awhile now. They have everything I want in a bike and are a beautiful machine. I love my Nomad and just have not been able to justify twice the cost. The other thing that really bothers me is the attitude of the majority or Harley owners I come into contact with. I have only had one comment in 3 years from Harley owners where they referred to my bike as being nice. I have made that comment to them several times just to see if they would return the favor and they just look at the Nomad as if it is a cheap made bike. Then there are those who will not return a wave at all. I work with a couple of guys that own Harley's and they often refer to metrics as Jap crap. One of the reasons I might never own a Harley boils down to I just don't want to be a part of that idiotic stuck up mentality. So I don't bash Harley's. Just the personalities they create.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #2

Bashing Harley's

I sold my harley (after riding it for 5 years) to get a Nomad. I couldn't give a tinkers damn what other harley riders think of my Nomad. The only time they really got upset with me is when we were at Mt. Rushmore (during the Sturgis Rally) and some foreigners wanted a picture with my Nomad having Mt. Rushmore in the background. That kind of upset my harley friends who were with me, but they got over it. Hey, great looking bike Dave, kind of looks like mine...Jody

Old 09-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #3

Bashing Harley's

I agree, sort of. I don't give a _ _ _ _ what Harley riders think (or anyone else for that matter) about what I ride and have to believe the same of them. I ride what I have because it's what "I" like, it's something I can own without 48 months of payments, wicked high insurance, and I can work on it myself. I'm sure the "Jap Crap" haters all drive American cars too... right? Feh... ignore them and go ride.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Bashing Harley's

Here we go again... ::) ::)
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #5

Bashing Harley's

the way i see it is they ride what they want to be kool and we ride what we ride to ride. when you see a lot of them at rallies and places like deals gap most of the time they trailer up and trailer back we ride all the way.
VBA # 290
2006 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #6

Bashing Harley's

I ride with a few HD owners and they have always been civil towards remarks about my bike. I can't really recall ever recieving a smart remark from anyone, so I guess most of them are ok but like in any group there is alwats a couple thathave something to say. When its time to replace my Nomad an Ultra is definately on the short list, they are a bit more money but you get a whole lot more with them as well, and they do handle a lot better than a Nomad, especially the newer ones.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #7

Bashing Harley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
+1,

Ride whatever suits your needs best, period.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Bashing Harley's

You should not need anyones stamp of approval. I, like others here could give a rats what anyone thinks. I love my two rides. I like rolling up to 100+ bikes somewhere having the one Nomad vs having the 20th Road King, or Ultra, or Street Glide. I talked to another guy who had a Honda Valkyrie, he said, man I like to be different, I was like, I hear ya. I have demo'ed them all, you have a fine bike that compares very nicely. Look into a Voyager or a Victory Cross Country if you want the 6th speed and trunk.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Bashing Harley's

I ran into a crusty old Harley guy once and he said"I see you ride a rice burner".That was when gas was about $4.00 a gal so I told him that rice was a bunch cheaper than gasoline.He cracked up and said"Ya got me there buddy".I have been riding for over forty years and noticed the old timers aren't as likely to bash the Jap bikes as the weekend warriors that ride only to the Harley shop and Starbucks.As for myself I don't care what you ride,it's the attitude that counts.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Bashing Harley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
+1,

+++++1 suck it up....I say. If you want a Harley, have a Harley, don't be like the A-holes you have encountered in your travels.
Again I say there are A-holes riding Harley's and A-holes on Nomads.
Bottom line? They're both A-holes ,...on and probably off their rides.
We're motorcycle enthusiasts here aren't we? With a special liking for Kawasaki Nomads,... that's it!!
Enough said about Harley owners and metric owners.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Bashing Harley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadwest (Dave)
I for one have been eyeballing the Ultra Classics for awhile now. They have everything I want in a bike and are a beautiful machine. I love my Nomad and just have not been able to justify twice the cost. The other thing that really bothers me is the attitude of the majority or Harley owners I come into contact with. I have only had one comment in 3 years from Harley owners where they referred to my bike as being nice. I have made that comment to them several times just to see if they would return the favor and they just look at the Nomad as if it is a cheap made bike. Then there are those who will not return a wave at all. I work with a couple of guys that own Harley's and they often refer to metrics as Jap crap. One of the reasons I might never own a Harley boils down to I just don't want to be a part of that idiotic stuck up mentality. So I don't bash Harley's. Just the personalities they create.
You aren't being fair a Nomad is more in line with a Road King then a Ultra you get a lot more goodies on an Ultra.
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 09-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Bashing Harley's

What makes a bike any good or not to me is discovered in the wrenching. Being from the back ground of a pro foreign car tech I just agree with the way the Nomad is made.

The Nomad isn't perfect, but no other bike is either.

HD guys don't bother me any, and i don't bother them back.

The new younger crowd haven had just the choice of HD or brit bikes either. Most of them have no idea whats inside a engine for that matter.

Bikes didn't used to be a turn key ride, and a rider had to be at least a part time tech.

Now a days any fool with money and a mild desire can ride what ever he wants.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #13

Bashing Harley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Now a days any fool with money and a mild desire can ride what ever he wants.
Love that last line, Mac. Well said.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #14

Bashing Harley's

i also ride with a couple of harley guys and they would never say anything bad about someone elses ride....
we make fun of them more than they of us . hehehehe
also drove an ultra classic on the weekend for about 75 miles while the harley guy rode mine. we both had our wives on board and i have to say that the ultra classic is a sweet ride...
power is maybe a bit more than the nad but not much.
i thought she was a fair bit tighter on the road than my nomad
he agreed with me that the nad needs a bit more work to throw around twisties etc ...don"t get me wrong, the nad is a comfortable ride by any standard and tha harley guy did say that he realy liked the nomad experience................

Old 09-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Bashing Harley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy ... #00722
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis

+1,

+++++1 suck it up....I say. If you want a Harley, have a Harley, don't be like the A-holes you have encountered in your travels.
Again I say there are A-holes riding Harley's and A-holes on Nomads.
Bottom line? They're both A-holes ,...on and probably off their rides.
We're motorcycle enthusiasts here aren't we? With a special liking for Kawasaki Nomads,... that's it!!
Enough said about Harley owners and metric owners.
Hey man! I am an A-hole and I ride a Nomad. Guess that's why they don't bother me.