Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #1

AirHawk Seat Cover

Does anybody use the Airhawk seat cover and if so what are the pros and cons of it. Would you recommend it? And what size is required for the stock Nomad seat?

Thanks
Gary

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Top Contributor

AirHawk Seat Cover

classic01 does, he was kind enough to let me try it out at the Eastern Rally. I am sure he will chime in.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 06-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #3

AirHawk Seat Cover

Todd what were your thoughts on it?

Old 06-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Top Contributor

AirHawk Seat Cover

comfort in the seat was great...I really liked it. I have a long upper body and it raised me, i am guessing, 1.5 inches. Just put me up too high....BUT, I did not try to adjust and let some air out....I probably could have improved my position by doing some experimenting with the amount of air in it. Both Mike and his wife Sheila ride with one and love em.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 06-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #5

AirHawk Seat Cover

It makes me a bit higher (I'm only 5-8), but I love the comfort.

One downside. I ride almost every day to work (rain or shine), and the AirHawk ends up in my saddlebag a lot because it has a cloth cover. I can wipe off the stock seat with a towl and then have a semi-dry seat... but the Airhawk needs some real drying time before you sit down (I don't like arriving at work with a wet bottom.... gets people talking )

Michael K

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Top Contributor

AirHawk Seat Cover

can i chime in here, i have ridden with the propad(gel with australian sheepskin cover) for about 6-8 months and LOVE IT. only raises you about 3/4 inch but the comfort is superb. if it raisn the sheepskin is dry in no time. no dry time or shaking it out. very durable and fit is great. i bought the biggest one out of dennis kirk catalog and firts like a glove. Stays put and holds up well to UV rays. Two thumbs up. :-)

Old 06-30-2008, 05:45 AM   #7

AirHawk Seat Cover

I have the airhawk for both the rider and passenger ...and, truthfully, we hardly ever use them. Every once in a while, I'll put them on before a long ride, forgetting why I don't like them, but they generally come off before the ride is over.

Depending on how much air you put in (they don't require very much at all), they lift you up and forward in the seat anywhere from 1/2 - 1.5". I could live with that, I suppose, but -to me- they just feel weird ...like sitting on a seat that has been armor-all'd or something.

The fabric covers are ...well, fabric ...and flimsy. My daughter ripped the seam out of hers on the first trip because she 'fidgets' on long rides.

Ultimately, I just found that I don't like sitting on anything other than the seat.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:11 AM   #8

AirHawk Seat Cover

As toddfi stated, my wife and I use them on long rides and riding in the heat. We have the "medium cruiser" size for both seats. We like them, but as the driver, they do raise you up a little which helps looking over the windshield but effects my leg reach to the ground. I take it to work with me for the ride home because my bike sits in the sun all day and the seat gets HOT. At first you have to get used to your azz floating around. It's not bad but noticeable.
And as for many continuous hours on a motorcycle seat, I don't think there's a miracle seat or cushion out there.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #9

AirHawk Seat Cover

I use Airhawk on front and rear.
Once you get the air set where you like it, it's great! For me, when I first get on the bike, it takes a little squirming around to get it where it comfortable, but then it's great! It will raise you just a bit, could be an issue ir you're shorter, I'm ok with it, and I'm 5'11".
My wife loves it, compared to the stock seat!
If you put too much air in, you'll feel like you're sitting on a basketball; not safe in the corners that way!! Let it down to where you're just starting to touch the seat; takes a little experimentation.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #10

AirHawk Seat Cover

I appreciate the feedback. My seat is pretty much ok for the riding I do , however I will be taking a trip to Memphis TN in August and I was looking to add some comfort for the trip.

Gary

Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to scion0
AirHawk Seat Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydup
I appreciate the feedback. My seat is pretty much ok for the riding I do , however I will be taking a trip to Memphis TN in August and I was looking to add some comfort for the trip.

Gary
Just wanted to note that the wife and I will be taking a trip to Memphis TN as well but in Sept (18 - 20).

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 07-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
Advanced Member

AirHawk Seat Cover

I've had an Airhawk for about 5 months and never tried it (a friend that rides a Harley gave it to me, he didn't like it), until yesterday for a 20 mile ride. It doesn't take much air, in fact, it seemed low when I put it on. I'm 6'4 so the rise in height wasn't going to bother me, but moving forward is another question. I also have the Grasshopper back rest. Anyway, when I attach the seat cushion, I slid it forward farther than normal so the nose rides on the tank, and this allows my legs more comfort without moving me forward and even ends up helping protect the tank. At first test, I think I'm really going to like it.

I'm going on a 400 mile ride next week so I'll really be able to give it a try. If worst comes to worst, I can always put in on and take it off through out the ride just to change hot spots. I'll respond again next week after the ride and give more opinion.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
Advanced Member

AirHawk Seat Cover

Update on Air Hawk---I took almost all the air out for the ride home so when I sat on it really flattened out. I let the nose ride up alittle on the tank. It was great for the 250 mile ride home. The total amount of air probably only lifted me about 1/2". I could have gone a couple of hundred more miles with no problems. Very little butt burn. I would highly recommend one for longer rides, just don't overfill the air.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
Top Contributor

AirHawk Seat Cover

Thanks for your input Doc. After the ride to Eureka Springs, I was thinking about one of those things. I don't think I'll get the AirHawk, but the gel seat sounds good.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 07-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #15

AirHawk Seat Cover

I used one before I upgraded to a Russells seat.
Pros: I really helps
Cons: It's butt ugly and expensive for a temp fix.