Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #1

Vaquero KQR backrest questions

SO I was a little disappointed today when I found out that I would have to drill holes in the beautiful green paint of my new Vaquero just to add the rear passenger seat mounting brackets....so i have a couple questions;

1-Are there any other after market back rests out there..if so where?

2-if I do get the Kawasaki backrest has anyone had any problem drilling the holes and messing up the paint and are there any tips like taping the paint so it doesnt chip etc....

3-Does anyone have any pics from various angles they can post that show the backrest attached and also removed so I can see what the brackets look like (i really hate the thought of ugly-fying the rear end of my bike when the brackets remain)

Thanks to all in advance...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #2

Get a Mustang seat with the driver and passenger backrest built into the seat.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #3

Thats an option but i would rather keep the stock seat and i do need to get a luggage rack also...

Old 07-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #4

The Kawasaki kqr brackets are big chunks of chrome on the back. I didn't like them at first, but you get used to them. I didn't have any problems with the paint (drilled from the inside - they're also pre-marked for you).
Take a look at my photo album. You can see them in a couple of the pictures.
The only other setups I've seen are the Mustang seat (like Coffey mentioned) or a permanent luggage rack (pretty big) that you then mount a backrest to (kind of backwards).
I'm not a fan of the backrest itself. I plan on making a different sissy bar and pad that will use the kqr brackets.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #5

Thanks OK Vaquero..
Dang...sorry but those brackets really put some ugly on the back of an otherwise pretty bike........but i guess u gotta do what u gotta do...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #6

As OK Vaquero had mentioned, the places to drill are already marked on the back of the panels. Instructions called for a 1in hole saw bit but I used a 1 1/8 for a little extra clearance. Worked out well. You also want to make sure you use a fine toothed hole saw bit to minimize damage to the panel and paint on the outside. When I drilled out mine, I had no chipping of the paint and minimal edge cleaning (removing the burrs from the hole saw)

Old 02-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #7

I actually used a stepped unibit from the inside, and got a beautiful, clean hole. The brackets do add a big chunk of Chrome, but you do get used to seeing them there. I am eventually going to powder coat mine black, as I intend to de-chrome the entire bike.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 02-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #8

I went to my local dealer and bought replacement color matched panels, drilled them out for the backrest bracket. Now I can switch back n forth as needed.......it doesn't take long to switch them either......after a couple times practice.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:57 PM   #9

step bit and a lil painters tape and you will be good to go. i actually drilled the hole like 7/8 so that it fit closer to the mounting hardware, less gap. mines actually at powder coat right now. will post pics after I get them picked up this week.