Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

Tires ain't pretty

Understanding colder air & weather can cause air molecules to condense, I seem to be having to air up my tires more than I think I should have to.

Wondering what is a good product to add to my tires, to keep them from leaking air.
Kury ISO grips
V&H Twin Slash
Cobra FI2000R
Chucksters BAK
Ray's Throttle Mod
4 Polk DB521
Alpine KTP-445U Amp

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #2

Nitrogen

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 01-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win_surfur View Post
Understanding colder air & weather can cause air molecules to condense, I seem to be having to air up my tires more than I think I should have to.

Wondering what is a good product to add to my tires, to keep them from leaking air.
Is it just one or both?

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 01-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Kryptonite.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #5

You made sure that you don't have any leaks? Nitrogen IMO is a marketing scam, they will still fluctuate as much as compressed air. We keep having to fill aircraft tires every couple of days as the temp up here in calgary keeps going up and down. Plus the air that we breath is 97% nitrogen anyways.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #6

It seems to be both, although i can feel it in the fron more.

It could be leaking, and that's why I'm seeking advice on what to do. Like, is that green slime stuuf any good or ouwld that lend to an unbalanced tire\wheel?
Kury ISO grips
V&H Twin Slash
Cobra FI2000R
Chucksters BAK
Ray's Throttle Mod
4 Polk DB521
Alpine KTP-445U Amp

Old 01-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #7

Quote:

Here you are mate. Towards the bottom of the article is a section on tire pressure loss. Worth the reading.

http://www.motorcycle.com/rider-safe...101-91339.html

Old 01-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #8

I think you should first find out where the air is leaking.
It could be just the valve stem core is leaking.
I had an 07 that leaked around the bead and had to put a tube in the tire.
I don't like sealers like Slime or Fix-A-Flat as they are real messy when you have to change the tire.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #9

Check your valve stems. The valve core may be a little loose.
They just need to be good and snug, don't over tighten them.

VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 01-03-2015, 06:35 AM   #10

Grin

Mick, I read the article. ROUND! My tires are supposed to be round? Well, that explains a lot right there?!

I just recently had the same issue. After some investigation, I found what seemed like a very tiny hole in the center of the tire almost like a pin prick as if some prick had left a pin in the road. Leak was real, real slow. Just bit the bullett and replaced.

Last edited by paul; 01-03-2015 at 06:39 AM.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #11

I'd think you may have a small leak but....is it cold where you park the bike? I'd check the pressure, go for a ride and recheck the warmed up tires just to see. Warm soapy water poured on the valve stems and even on the tires might indicate a possible leak.
I just read an article from Edmonds that did a year long study on nitrogen. The claims are less pressure loss and less tire "rot" from the inside. Edmonds said the benefits of nitrogen are negligible at best. Of course with all things, there are opposite opinions.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubijk View Post
You made sure that you don't have any leaks? Nitrogen IMO is a marketing scam, they will still fluctuate as much as compressed air. We keep having to fill aircraft tires every couple of days as the temp up here in calgary keeps going up and down. Plus the air that we breath is 97% nitrogen anyways.
agreed nitrogen is horse shit, in the car business unbelievable customers come in for just nitrogen says it rides better yeah! 39.95 thank you
I also believe that's its worse than compressed air as far as leaking down in winter temps

Old 01-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
It seems to be both, although i can feel it in the fron more.

It could be leaking, and that's why I'm seeking advice on what to do. Like, is that green slime stuuf any good or ouwld that lend to an unbalanced tire\wheel?
That green slime type stuff works good enough, and I was shown it would balance your tires like the dyna beads. The problem I ran into was corrosion. Years ago I put some sealant like that green slime in my Ford Ranger tires, it was water based and I didn't give it a thought, but the wheels were polished aluminum. I was having a flat fixed and when they removed the tire, the area where this sealant came in contact with aluminum was heavily corroded. It was so bad the tire shop had to take a grinder with a wire wheel to clean it up in hopes the bead would seal. After that I have not used that liquid type sealant.

That could have been 15 years ago, so meby they have corrected that problem. I would check into how the sealant you want to use, reacts with ferrous and nonferrous materials. Some of the coolants we use in the machine shops have corrosion inhibitors when machining metals, this could be some thing to ask about.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #14
Advanced Member

In some areas its not a scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
agreed nitrogen is horse shit, in the car business unbelievable customers come in for just nitrogen says it rides better yeah! 39.95 thank you
I also believe that's its worse than compressed air as far as leaking down in winter temps
I worked for over 30 years on CAT equipment and at a CAT dealership. The major reason for using nitrogen in tires is because it is an inert gas and does not support combustion.

I don't know about aircraft tires but when we used nitrogen in the heavy equipment, we had to find out what the ambient temperature was, then, using a chart, fill the tire or accumulator with nitrogen to the pressure indicated on the conversion chart.

I went to the dark side about two months ago and I have a tire pressure monitor on my vaquero. I work a second shift and start around 4 pm. So I can head for the barn at 12:30, 2:30, or 4:30 AM.

What I have observed is my tire pressure can drop about 4 psi at night when the temp gets 50 and below. That's enough to change the way my skoot rides. I have not done it yet but i'm going to vacuum the tire and using one of my old charts put nitrogen in and see how the pressure reacts.

Time will tell.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubijk View Post
The nitrogen content of earth's atmosphere is roughly 78%. I agree with the marketing scam sentiment though. I just use a bicycle floor pump to keep my tires properly inflated. Never takes more than 5-10 pumps to top them off.

http://www.aquatext.com/tables/air.htm