Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 AM   #1

Hypercharger - one more time

OK, I searched the archives and did not find a lot of info I am looking for. So, as almost everyone is snowed in I figured ya'll wouldn't mind bestowing some wisdom on the subject of Hyoerchargers. ;)
Yes, I know they do not work any better than any other big air flow mod. :( However I like the look, have always had one on my Harley [lets not go there] and want to put one on the Nad.
I've read a lot about clearance issues with reaching the brake pedal as the Hypercharger sticks out a bit. Also I am wondering how the Hypercharger setup handles the stock plumbing in the air-box minus the reed vales [Whatever they are called, to many gray hairs to remember names of useless items]. Anyone with any info or opinion concerning installing a Hypercharger on an '07 Please jump in.
Thanks and any pic's would be appreciated.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-16-2010, 02:57 AM   #2

Ive had my Kuryakyn Pro Hypercharger on my 2005 Nomad virtually since new. Couldn't believe the difference in performance, even though it had been explained to me previously (V&H plus PCIII). The crossover tube is gone, alongside all the other "bits" both left and right. I have a dummy chrome cover on the left now, just to "balance" the look. I also made spacers to move the right floorboard out a little, combined with a larger break pedal cover, again from Kuryakyn. I know this set up gets some negative feedback, but I love the look and to be honest, although my right knee knows the hypercharger is there, its no big deal.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:20 AM   #3

Check my web site for two nice air intake systems that I make.

www.chucksterscustoms.com
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 02-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #4

it will hit your leg big time very annoying to me. the brake is a bitch to reach unless your ultra pigeon toed. i spaced my floor board out 3/4" and reworked the brake pedal. that helped a little. the look is awesome, more topend power, alot of intake noise at heavier throttle, i need to do more work on the brake pedal.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #5

It's too bad how it sticks out. I too really like the look, but I decided to go with Chucksters 7" plates. The performance increase is great!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #6

I got my hypercharger as a gift. I like the performance difference, but it does stick out. Moving your floorboards out seems to be the best solution. If I were buying I'm not sure, it's the one I would buy, other than looks there are lots of options.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #7

I have a Hyper Charger on my 99 1500 carbed model and don't have any real clearance issues. It was on there when I purchased the bike so I can't really talk much about performance gains because I don't know how the bike performed without it.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Here is a photo of my set-up. Plumbing has all been removed. No extension of floor boards or brake pedal. Who uses rear brakes? ;) However, you will notice that I have highway pegs that come out from the bottom of my floor boards and most of my cruising has my feet placed on these which means the hypercharger is not an issue. Yup it sticks out and takes a while to adjust, feels natural after awhile. My biggest complaint would be in the cold weather, trying to tuck in for warmth, it does create an issue.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #9

James. I have a Hyper Charger a my O7, I installed it following the instructions that came with it. It was pretty simple. I opted to remove the left side cover, element, mount and plate and the cross over. (I used dremel tool to cut end off to get out). Took about 2 hours total with about half that time dedicated to getting the left side junk off and the crossover out.
After installing, I made two 1 1/2 extensions (out of 350 Chevy valve guides) and moved my left running board out 1 1/2 inch (takes two new bolts also) then I made two 1/2 inch spacers and moved my rear brake master cylinder and pedal out 1/2 inch. (if you get a longer brake line you can move it further but I didn't need to) I took a couple hours to do this and cost about $5 for the new bolts. I never even notice the charger now. In low speed manuevers and extreme turns the right runing board will now touch down some times. It used to be the left that always hit first but not since this change.
I'm traveling right now but when I get home I will email you some pics if you want?
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #10

Thanks to all for the replies.

trosco and psychocycle,
What did you do with the crankcase breather hose and the intake air temp. sensor? Are these just disconnected or does the Hypercharger have fittings for them. I know the crankcase breather can be attached to a small filter and tucked away. If the intake air sensor is disconnected what effect did that have on the bike? Did you install a TFI also? And if so was this due to just the Hypercharger or a combination of pipes and intake?
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 02-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James "Bubba" Andreu
Thanks to all for the replies.

trosco and psychocycle,
What did you do with the crankcase breather hose and the intake air temp. sensor? Are these just disconnected or does the Hypercharger have fittings for them. I know the crankcase breather can be attached to a small filter and tucked away. If the intake air sensor is disconnected what effect did that have on the bike? Did you install a TFI also? And if so was this due to just the Hypercharger or a combination of pipes and intake?
the aircleaner backing plate is made to accept the sensor and breather hose. you also get a brass elbow for the beather hose.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel

Hey Bubba, this has nothing to do with the hypercharger, but I do like the lights you have on the back and front of your bike.

Did you use a triple whammy on the turnsignals? What are the other lights you're using on the back towards the top and on your crash bar in the front?

Thanks,

Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #13

Everything (breather, sensor) has conections in the Hypercharge kit. And how to do the the things like eliminate the solinoids and plumbing is covered thuroughly in instructions.

My opinion is that if you did nothing else to a Nomad, you would still need to add a FI Controller! It was the first thing I did!

I have played with exhausts and with intakes after that and result was some tweaking of controller settings. Then did porting plus full radius of valve seat and lip done on Heads and a little more tweaking on controller but 50% of the improvement I have gotten came from just adding the controller.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 02-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #14

trosco...Thanks...

PM sent to Blue Rebel.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 02-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosco
Everything (breather, sensor) has conections in the Hypercharge kit. And how to do the the things like eliminate the solinoids and plumbing is covered thuroughly in instructions.

My opinion is that if you did nothing else to a Nomad, you would still need to add a FI Controller! It was the first thing I did!

I have played with exhausts and with intakes after that and result was some tweaking of controller settings. Then did porting plus full radius of valve seat and lip done on Heads and a little more tweaking on controller but 50% of the improvement I have gotten came from just adding the controller.
+1
I have a Power Commander Fuel Injection Kit and a Bub Enterprise Exhaust system. Removal of the reed valves assemblies and catalytic converter.