Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #1

Cracked saddlebag repair?

Has anyone successfully repaired a cracked ABS saddlebag? My 2012 Voyager is 18 days out of warranty and a new bag is $1100 dollars from Partzilla. It has a 2" crack starting at a hinge hole. I'd drill a hole at both ends of the crack and glass mat the inside if I knew it would work. Never had much luck with snowmobile hoods-maybe this is different. Ebay bags are worse than what I have.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by H8BUGZ; 03-18-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:52 PM   #2

Yep... I high-sided my Voyager over the '14 Easter break, and during the resurrection (see what I did there?) the only plastic I replaced was one leg shield and the bag hinge cover.

The fairing and right side saddlebag were very badly damaged, mountings ripped right out of the fairing and the lower half of the saddlebag broken at the hinge and the front mount. I took them down to the local plastic welder (ask any panel shop, they'll tell you who the best in your area is), and they worked absolute magic with all the broken pieces.

When they were done putting Humpty back together, I took bag & fairing back to the panel & paint shop, told them the full names of Kaw's paint, and they did the rest. I can't tell there's ever been a repair, even on the inside of the bag.

Even if you don't want to go to the expense of paint... I'd still suggest a plastic welder. They should at the very least be able to run a bead along the inside of the crack to reinforce it.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 03-18-2017, 11:14 PM   #3

JB Weld will work for a small crack. Ur right to drill the holes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #4

plastic weld, i use a old screw driver heat it up red hot and slowly melt it along the crack. after that i'd suggest using either fiberglass mat and resin or 3m panel bonding adhesive.
Vance & Hines Twin Slash
Kury Iso Grips
Passenger Boards
Rotation Industries 26" Juno
BadDad 26" Wrap Fender
BVD Raked Triple Trees
Rear Loweing Kit

Old 03-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #5

http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic...ent-96712.html

That sounds like the perfect reason to get a new toy and learn how to use it.

MT
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #6

http://easyabsrepair.com/

I'm hearing that ABS pipe glue works well. There is also a retailer online that offers the glue with an ABS slurry included for a one step process. (http://easyabsrepair.com/). Anyone have any testimonials on this product?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #7

I used the abs repair on my vv fairing worked very well I would recommend it and very easy to use.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 PM   #8

I had a pair of Bates bags on a Harley. The lids were completely detachable, and managed to detach themselves and get scuffed and cracked a few times. I had very good results by glassing the inside, as you mentioned in the first post. I just used glass cloth and polyester resin. I have had variable results welding plastic. If you go that route, you should at least run a heavy bead inside where it doesn't show, as the repair tends to be weaker than the original, at least the way I have done it. Although I welded a boil bottle on a BUBF that worked out very well, if not too pretty.