Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
NICE GAINS...lots more fun to ride now!!

RACNRAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
A VERY IMPORTANT ITEM....the Thunder intake gasket MUST be used with a sealant. The gasket paper's composition is what I call "dry", it does not contain a sealant that other gaskets do. 100 % sealing can only be truly achieved when sealant is applied to both surfaces of the gasket.

RACNRAY
Is there any specific sealant you can recommend Ray? I have the gasket to install.
VBA#02576

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #152

Mav1
Ray recommended ThreeBond 1211 but I used ThreeBond 1184 I found at my local motorcycle shop and it works great. I installed the Thunder gasket and Intake seals with this stuff and waited until the next day and it seals great. If you have the decal pop thing going on I would recommend replacing both Intake seals, both Throttle body seals and put the Thunder gasket in there all sealed with the ThreeBond and you won't be disappointed. Those Thunder gaskets aren't cheap. It's really not that hard to do at all.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc3210 View Post
Mav1
Ray recommended ThreeBond 1211 but I used ThreeBond 1184 I found at my local motorcycle shop and it works great. I installed the Thunder gasket and Intake seals with this stuff and waited until the next day and it seals great. If you have the decal pop thing going on I would recommend replacing both Intake seals, both Throttle body seals and put the Thunder gasket in there all sealed with the ThreeBond and you won't be disappointed. Those Thunder gaskets aren't cheap. It's really not that hard to do at all.
Thanks! Info greatly appreciated!
VBA#02576

Old 02-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #154

Vaq Popping and Backfiring

Hey Ray,
I have a 2011 Vaq with bad popping on decel and also a jerky throttle at low rpms. Its very annoying. I purchased the Gasket from Thunder MFG but this is going to be the first time I've taken this bike apart and have no idea what I'm doing. So I have some questions. When you block sanded the intake manifold and throttle body mating surfaces, what grit paper did you use? Also, did you use the Thunder MFG throttle body gasket? If so, did you apply sealant in that area too or just use the purchased gasket? Can I use regular Permatex or does it have to be the same sealant you used? I read in your other posts about blocking off the hose behind the right side air cleaner too. I was trying to find pics of what it was supposed to look like when it was completed does anyone have any of these pics available? I'm also looking for a good map to use for my Power commander. I hope this isn't too many questions at once. I was trying to get all this done before I head down to Daytona for Bike Week.

Thanks

P.S.
If its too much to answer here, you can email me and I'll send you my number.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong1180 View Post
Hey Ray,
I have a 2011 Vaq with bad popping on decel and also a jerky throttle at low rpms. Its very annoying. I purchased the Gasket from Thunder MFG but this is going to be the first time I've taken this bike apart and have no idea what I'm doing. So I have some questions. When you block sanded the intake manifold and throttle body mating surfaces, what grit paper did you use? Also, did you use the Thunder MFG throttle body gasket? If so, did you apply sealant in that area too or just use the purchased gasket? Can I use regular Permatex or does it have to be the same sealant you used? I read in your other posts about blocking off the hose behind the right side air cleaner too. I was trying to find pics of what it was supposed to look like when it was completed does anyone have any of these pics available? I'm also looking for a good map to use for my Power commander. I hope this isn't too many questions at once. I was trying to get all this done before I head down to Daytona for Bike Week.

Thanks

P.S.
If its too much to answer here, you can email me and I'll send you my number.
CALL me at my shop 954-455-9665

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads