Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2024, 02:50 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Ahh, right. But I agree with you. Anytime after the bike has been run and allowed to rest for 20 minutes, overnight, are both fine for checking the oil level. Like after a gas stop, or after the bike sat overnight and you check the oil in the morning. In that rest time the oil should have settled into the engine sump. I think on both the 1600 and 1700 the oil filter is on the bottom/left side of the bike. So after rest the oil filter/sump will have collected oil draining down from the top end. I don't recall that either the 1600 or 1700 have any sort of check valve system to keep any oil up in the heads/cams/valve guides after shutdown. So after a rest the oil will have drained down. Just the action of starting the 1700 to warm up the oil means some oil will remain up high in the engine again until it drains down to the bottom of the engine. To those that obsess about the level shown on the dipstick they might want to keep "topping it up" and over time may end up over filling the sump.

Since I own a 1600, I'm not fully aware of the oil check procedure on the 1700. What is the process that causes the issue?

Login or Register to Remove Ads