Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
Top Contributor

Do Not Personalize Your Vehicle - Road Rage

Found this interesting. People who personalize their vehicle have a tendency to have more road rage. What's everyone elses thoughts?

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_9606929
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman
Found this interesting. People who personalize their vehicle have a tendency to have more road rage. What's everyone elses thoughts?

"The more markers a car has, the more aggressively the person tends to drive when provoked," Szlemko said. "Just the presence of territory markers predicts the tendency to be an aggressive driver."

I would agree, but keep in mind that there are exceptions to everything. We are only talking about a tendency here.

The more that your identity is wrapped up in your vehicle, the more that you will protect it as though it were you. The number one job of the self is to protect the self, and anything that it considers to be the self

For me, my vehicles are not part of me. I loan them out freely and ride and drive in ways that others might not. To me they are a piece of machinery.

I've know others that see it very different. I've seen Harley riders that think that their bike is made out of gold, nobody could even sit on it. If somebody tipped it over, they might protect it as if it were part of them that was hurt.

I had a brother in law with a brand new truck that cautioned me not to touch it when he took me out in the garage to see it for the first time; then he talked about how idiotic it is that people have to feel it, not just look at it. One time we were following them and had to go down a gravel road for about 1/4 mile. He stopped to make sure that there wasn't any gravel stuck in the tread that might come off and ding it.

He might be a candidate to act as though it needed protected as though it were part of him.

It seems to be a reasonable assumption that the more somebody personalizes a car with their own deeply held believes (the bumper sticker thing) the more they might take anything that intrudes on their personal space (the space around the car) as a threat to them personally.

Perhaps my own belief that cars and bikes are machinery helps explain why I don't do much by way of customizing. I've passed up purchasing cars that had custom this and that attached to them. I show my individuality by having one of the few cars that still looks stock

On the Lexus forum I go to, every one seems to talk about rims, custom lips, etc. I'll stand out by keeping mine stock.

Mine looks the way it left the factory. I don't need to make it mine.

It was a fun article, and a fun subject (I have a degree in Psychology, so I dig this stuff) :)
Thanks for posting it, and what do the rest of you think?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #3

This is an area where I'm not to fanatical
My cars and trucks are, as Dan says, machinery. I don't name them or put little custom stuff on them.
My bike is different. It is still a piece of machinery, but it is something I feel pride in owning. I will baby it by washing it every time I get done with a ride. I will buy stuff to make it look better and stand out from the crowd. I don't go overboard just put things on that are pleasing to me.
I don't consider myself a road rage kinda guy Sure thing other idiots do piss me off but I can control my temper very well.
I don't flip people off or try to run them off the road or shoot them.
What was the question again ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #4

I wouldn't definitely say that this isn't ever 100% of the time never true!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
Advanced Member

bobzinger

You may be right!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #6

I had my worst case of rage in a long time, in our bone-stock Camry, just this last Sunday.

Some bozo passed me in a parking lot going 25 mph, just as I was turning into a space.

I had to slam on the brakes and my poor wife got bruised up (she bruises easily.)

If I'd got a better look at that bozo's plate I would have tracked him down and smacked him around good. I was steaming for the next 30 minutes as we walked around the store.

The thing is that I'm NOT a violent guy! I never have been. I haven't actually hit another human being in close to 35 years, and even then I was provoked beyond all reason.

But Sunday at Wal-Mart I was ready to kick some ass. So much so that I surprised myself.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghost
bobzinger

You may be right!
He may be right ??? I can't even figure out what he said :-/

Cadd, the reason you got so pissed I believe is because your wife got hurt. When someone we love gets hurt by some bozo's stupidity thats what happens ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #8

my cars are personalized with my kids' urine and throw up. I don't care about my cars......My bike, I'm a little more anal about but not much

Old 06-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
...Cadd, the reason you got so pissed I believe is because your wife got hurt...
Oh, absolutely.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #10

I identify more with Wolfman's statement. My truck sits , rotting, 8 months of the year. My bike I try to keep in good shape and clean it at least once a week. I've owned the truck since 2000 and may have cleaned it 3 times. It's just a truck. I think the bike more identifies me. I think we all have issues!! That's why we sit on a computer and talk about all this stuff!!!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc

I think we all have issues!! That's why we sit on a computer and talk about all this stuff!!!!!
Yup

Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

In once had a customer with a brand spankin new BMW car, and he wanted me to make adjustments, but with out touching the car!

He was just a common fool with too much money, and I ran him off... I never did figure out how to adjust anything on a machine with out touching it.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #13

So I should take the "Mafia Staff Car.. You toucha my car I breaka you face!" sticker off my bumper?? ;)

Old 06-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #14

It doesn't matter who's car I drive I wake up in the morning with road rage :( :(" title="" border="0"/>

Old 06-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman

"The more markers a car has, the more aggressively the person tends to drive when provoked," Szlemko said. "Just the presence of territory markers predicts the tendency to be an aggressive driver."

I would agree, but keep in mind that there are exceptions to everything. We are only talking about a tendency here.

The more that your identity is wrapped up in your vehicle, the more that you will protect it as though it were you. The number one job of the self is to protect the self, and anything that it considers to be the self

For me, my vehicles are not part of me. I loan them out freely and ride and drive in ways that others might not. To me they are a piece of machinery.

I've know others that see it very different. I've seen Harley riders that think that their bike is made out of gold, nobody could even sit on it. If somebody tipped it over, they might protect it as if it were part of them that was hurt.

I had a brother in law with a brand new truck that cautioned me not to touch it when he took me out in the garage to see it for the first time; then he talked about how idiotic it is that people have to feel it, not just look at it. One time we were following them and had to go down a gravel road for about 1/4 mile. He stopped to make sure that there wasn't any gravel stuck in the tread that might come off and ding it.

He might be a candidate to act as though it needed protected as though it were part of him.

It seems to be a reasonable assumption that the more somebody personalizes a car with their own deeply held believes (the bumper sticker thing) the more they might take anything that intrudes on their personal space (the space around the car) as a threat to them personally.

Perhaps my own belief that cars and bikes are machinery helps explain why I don't do much by way of customizing. I've passed up purchasing cars that had custom this and that attached to them. I show my individuality by having one of the few cars that still looks stock

On the Lexus forum I go to, every one seems to talk about rims, custom lips, etc. I'll stand out by keeping mine stock.

Mine looks the way it left the factory. I don't need to make it mine.

It was a fun article, and a fun subject (I have a degree in Psychology, so I dig this stuff) :)
Thanks for posting it, and what do the rest of you think?
Hey Dan, My sister has a Phd in clinical psychology. I'm going to discuss this thread with her next time we get together. I'm anxious to hear what she has to say.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482