Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #1

Product review - Mini remote digital thermometer

I had one of those chrome handlebar mounted thermometers on the Nomad - and got used to seeing just how hot / cold it really was. I quite like that readout in the car too - not sure why, but it seems to be of interest to know the outside temp... I just do ok?

So I've been looking for a replacement for the Voyager. Limited space on 1 1/4" bars, so I cast the net a little wider and came up with one of these Mini Remote Thermometers from Aerostitch for just $24 (cheaper than most analogue models except those from China). The reviews on that site sold it to me... And my verdict so far?

The probe can be mounted remotely, away from the engine and out of the sun, and for the Voyager I chose to cut a hole and mount the unit in the door of my left fairing pocket. The battery is supposed to last a long time (about a year if left switched on) but where I mounted it I can open the door to turn it off when not riding.

I've just taped the probe to stand slightly off the underside of the pocket for now, inside the fairing. It seems fairly well ventilated in there. If it become obvious the reading is affected by heat from engine or lights - I'll think of somewhere else.

Waterproofing is yet to be tested, but I ran a bead of left over black Permatex (hey, I'll never use that for anything on the Voyager) around the edge, so water shouldn't get to the internals.

Here's a picture... Sorry about that readout for those of you still caught up in winter. I'd usually have it set for a C readout, and only changed it to F to rub salt in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1242.jpg (90.1 KB, 90 views)

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Peg; 02-05-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #2

Gee thanks, I am buried under a foot of snow and just got nailed with an ice storm!
The readout looks good though...

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad

Old 02-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post

Here's a picture... Sorry about that readout for those of you still caught up in winter. I'd usually have it set for a C readout, and only changed it to F to rub salt in.
I come in from plowing 18" of snow and have to put up with stuff like this just when I was starting to think Peg was a decent guy
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I come in from plowing 18" of snow and have to put up with stuff like this just when I was starting to think Peg was a decent guy
I could have gone down there mid afternoon and taken my photo to show a shade under 80°F... But I'm such a good guy TC... I would never have done that to you fellas.

So I took that photo at 10am while it was still a little cool. ...And this is the thanks I get?

Old 02-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I could have gone down there mid afternoon and taken my photo to show a shade under 80°F... But I'm such a good guy TC... I would never have done that to you fellas.

So I took that photo at 10am while it was still a little cool. ...And this is the thanks I get?
If your lookin for Thanks I think you came to the wrong forum
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-06-2014, 01:15 AM   #6

Quote:
If your lookin for Thanks I think you came to the wrong forum
Ayup... If it's any consolation, the days are drawing a little shorter down here... Feb and March are usually not too bad and we have high hopes for them since there's not been too much of a settled summer so far.

You'll have the boot on the other foot before long... you know it.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 AM   #7

Just kidding ya Peg, I hope you have as many days riding as you can handle.
I'm used to the winter time out. Lived here for 68 years and winter has never failed to show up yet
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-06-2014, 02:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Just kidding ya Peg, I hope you have as many days riding as you can handle.
I'm used to the winter time out. Lived here for 68 years and winter has never failed to show up yet
I know that my friend... We're not getting as much riding as we'd like this summer though unfortunately. I'm on the west coast, and it's been a summer of unstable weather from off the Tasman sea between us & Oz this year.

We got a good tour of the South Island in on the Nomad back in Sept, but not much in the way of distance rides since we bought the Voyager.

I made a mistake with the Mustang seat on it too... Neither of us like it much. I have an order form for an RDL half completed, but sure ain't looking forward to seeing what it costs to ship a seat both ways... The 'stang was $160 one way, and it's unfortunate that it was money entirely wasted. I doubt I'll find a buyer for it down here - there's only a handful of Voyager's in the country.

The cost of shipping is another one of those drawbacks to living down at the butt end of the world I guess?