Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #1

Identify THIS bike.

I ran across this bike at a poker run a few months ago. I do know it is a brand new replica of I think a Russian bike. The way you see it is how it comes too. If I am not mistaken, there is a dealer somewhere in Arkansas or Missouri. It is a very good reproduction and as best I can tell is very accurate. Any information on it would be greatly appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #2

Identify THIS bike.

Im not positive but I think its a Ural, whick are knockoffs of old BMW's. During the war the Russians took the BMW plant, dismantled all the machinery and brought it back to Russia. They are still in production today I believe. I see the odd one around here at our local bike night sometimes.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #3

Identify THIS bike.

I was very impressed with this one. It actually has a drive shaft that goes to the sidecar wheel. It was a neet little bike. I would like to find a website on it but have not had much luck.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #4

Identify THIS bike.

Agreed. Russian. My wife is from Ukraine, and when I've been there to visit the family, I see these bikes all over the place (unarmed of course) Most of what I have seen have sidecars too. www.imz-ural.com
We've considered renting bikes over there, but I'm not sure I want to ride a motorcycle on their roads. Poor condition of roads, and an overall lack of rules on the road makes for a dangerous situation.
My wife, Anya, has gone there this month. Even the first day, she called to tell me a story of her BUS DRIVER in Kiev taking to a pedestrian sidewalk to go around some busy traffic. And later, having a passenger get off the bus to move a road-closed barricade so he could use that street. HAHAHAHA Taxis are worse!!
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 07-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #5

Identify THIS bike.

Go here

http://www.imz-ural.com/gearup/

I've liked the classic styling of their sidecars and think one would look good painted nice with the right amount of chrome. I've ridden one for just a short ride. It was a fun challenge.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Identify THIS bike.

....It's one you'd never see me riding.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #7

Identify THIS bike.

A friend of mine who collects motorcycles has a modern Russian bike with a sidecar. I'm not sure of the name but I do know that it was manufactured in Russia.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Identify THIS bike.

My wife is from Russia also- she says she is familiar with the Ural name. There are some mountains over there by that name, too.

The backwards 'N' on the front fender would be a sure sign of the Russian alphabet.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #9

Identify THIS bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
....It's one you'd never see me riding.
I like this one

They are pretty crude, underpowered, but as a second bike it would be fun for me. They have the motorcycle rear driven wheel plus the side car wheel driven by a shaft, so you can go through snow etc.

I'd take it as a second bike over any fat tired chopper bar hopper bike, but it might just be me :)

Old 07-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #10

Identify THIS bike.

I'm thinking of Dans new offroad adventures...

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 07-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #11

Identify THIS bike.

I should have paid more attention but I think y'all are right, I think it is a Ural. And I also think this one came out of Kansas. Sure is a neet little bike.

We have a BikeFest coming up this month on the 18th and it is supposed to be the largest in the state. We are going to have our Dale Earnhardt Sr Taladega car there, and I am hoping this guy shows up. If he does, I plan on getting a lot more info, and a lot more pictures. Thanks y'all for your help.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:02 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Identify THIS bike.

I saw them at the Toronto supershow and in Laconia.
I agree that it would be a great 2nd bike

Old 07-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Identify THIS bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billz410
My wife is from Russia also- she says she is familiar with the Ural name. There are some mountains over there by that name, too.

The backwards 'N' on the front fender would be a sure sign of the Russian alphabet.
The Ural mountains separate Europe from Asia. The word ural is Turkish meaning stone belt, which describes the mountains... down the middle. There is also a Ural river so named b/c it originates from the Ural Mts.

Apparently the bike manufacturer is named due to it's proximity to the Ural river. From the Ural wkik...

Urals are often referenced as such, as they are also coming from a nearby famous river, the, well you guessed it, Ural - and that means Siberia indeed. Both factories were the child of the original 1941 factory in Moscow, dismantled & displaced in fear Moscow was too easy a target for German aviation.
http://ural.wikispaces.com/

Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #14

Identify THIS bike.

Someday I hope to get one of these, with the powered side car wheel. They may be underpowered but I think it would be neat to take out on the road in the snow or off-road. I'd also be able to take my dog Humphrey with me. He loves riding in a car and I'm sure he'd love the sidecar!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #15

Identify THIS bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb
Someday I hope to get one of these, with the powered side car wheel. They may be underpowered but I think it would be neat to take out on the road in the snow or off-road. I'd also be able to take my dog Humphrey with me. He loves riding in a car and I'm sure he'd love the sidecar!