Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Results of Dyno run and custom map...

Just had the dyno and custom map done. My bike is a 2006 Nomad 1600 with V&H Baggers, PCIII and the CaddmannQ dual air intake as performance mods.

Horsepower is now: 67.38 (up ~5-6 )
Ft.Lbs Torque is now: 84.95 (up 9-10)

Apparently there was "some kind" of map in the PCIII at the start of the dyno, but all those numbers (which were making it run too rich, thus lowering mpg) have been corrected. MPG should increase (more on that after the next tankfull) since the air:fuel mix has been corrected for the various throttle positions and loads.

So, as promised, there are the numbers! Bike runs very smoothly now. No popping, etc. Motor sounds smooth and strong throughout the acceleration in all gears.

Daryl

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Definitely want an update on mileage! Mine took a dump after PCIII install.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #3

I'd be interested to see those numbers as well. Although, I don't have the PC3, but the fi2000r. I used the default 1600 Nomad pot settings, which immediately eliminated any errant popping, and increased the overall feel, power, and driveability of my bike. Unfortunately, I think the MPG took a dive too, but I didn't notice it until this past Monday when both the wife and I were on the bike. I'll have to track the mileage to see whether it's really true or not.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Advanced Member

ARE WE REALLY CONCERNED WITH MPG. ISNT IT ALL ABOUT THE ZOOM ZOOM?

Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Quote:
ARE WE REALLY CONCERNED WITH MPG. ISNT IT ALL ABOUT THE ZOOM ZOOM?
Thank you! That's part of my point! Another "interesting phenomenon" I've noticed herein: On the one hand so many praise the mods then are quick to chime in on the negative aspects of doing them.

Hmmmm,
Daryl

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Just had the dyno and custom map done. My bike is a 2006 Nomad 1600 with V&H Baggers, PCIII and the CaddmannQ dual air intake as performance mods.

Horsepower is now: 67.38 (up ~5-6 )
Ft.Lbs Torque is now: 84.95 (up 9-10)

Apparently there was "some kind" of map in the PCIII at the start of the dyno, but all those numbers (which were making it run too rich, thus lowering mpg) have been corrected. MPG should increase (more on that after the next tankfull) since the air:fuel mix has been corrected for the various throttle positions and loads.

So, as promised, there are the numbers! Bike runs very smoothly now. No popping, etc. Motor sounds smooth and strong throughout the acceleration in all gears.

Daryl
You got fantastic results from your mods. I made similar mods without such great results. I put cobra true duals, fi2000r, and the thunder air kit. After dyno tuning, the best I got was 55 hp and 70 something torque. The dyno guy said it was still running too rich, but could not go below the 0-0-0 settings. I guess I need to get to power commander so I can dial in less fuel. Glad to hear your results were so good, gives me hope.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:54 AM   #7
Advanced Member

jlamz,
While inside the room, John (the guy who dynoed my bike) showed me what all the charts, graphs, etc meant. My origianal set-up came up at first and the air:fuel curve looked like "a frowning face", as he described it. That meant exactly what you just stated: too much fuel under certain loads. By "loads" he is referring to the different rpm levels in different gears. So, he basically re-did all the air:fuel settings for ALL throttle positions in ALL gears in 250 rpm increments. That is why he also stated that I might even see BETTER mpg since the bike won't be running so rich at the low and top ends of the graph (ie, only the middle 1/3rd was flat as it's supposed to be).

What I've noticed most of all so far is:
1. much better throttle response - no lugging, no hesitation...just an even response from the motor under ALL degress of acceleration;
2. smoother acceleration - the motor sounds "smooth" versus "choppy"...this tells me that the air:fuel ratio is dialed-in and the motor is being served the proper amount of fuel under all degrees of acceleration (start-off, cruising at XXmph for sustained periods, and full throttle); and
3. the increase in hp and torque - I could feel it instantly. Nothing that'll blow you off the back of the bike, but compared to where the bike started, it just runs SO much better... more like what the motor is capable of versus the way Kawi has engineered it to run on the bike.

Hope that all made sense. You really just have to "feel" it to truly understand the differences with a custom mapped PCIII.

Daryl

Old 01-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Advanced Member

ds06nomad. ROCK ON MAN DONT LET ANYONE PISS ON YOUR PARADE. I DID THE HYPERCHARGER PC111 AND V&H BAGGERS. LIKE YOU SAID ITS NOT LIKE YOUR GETTING KNOCKED OFF THE BIKE. BUT FEELS WAY MORE POWERFUL TO ME.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #9

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec.../photo_06.html

Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
Advanced Member

daaaammmmmmiiiiittttttt anyways!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #11
Top Contributor

keep a spending guys and let me know.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #12

I have an 2006 Nomad 1600 with a bit over 6000 miles. I replaced the stock exhaust with Cobra Speedster Xtra Longs and a DynoJet Power Commander. I installed the pipes myself but took it to the local dealer (Shumate Harley-Davidson/Kawasaki/Honda/Suzuki, 3305 W. 19th Ave, Kennewick, WA) and had them install the Power Commander. I don't know if the technician ran the dyno before or after they installed the Power Commander. But after they installed the Power Commander and made adjustments with it, the Max power went from 58.33 to 62.93. the Max Torque went from 83.93 to 86.62. I have not changed the air intake. I am super pleased with the extra HP and how it idles and has great response through the entire range. And I love the sound.

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 01-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #13

Does anyone know what the stock HP and Torque is on a 1600 Nomad? I can't find it anywhere.
BnG

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 01-06-2008, 01:36 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Quote:
Does anyone know what the stock HP and Torque is on a 1600 Nomad? I can't find it anywhere.
BnG
When you find out, let us know. Ma Kaw has been very secretive with this info, unless you go get it dyno'd right out of the box. I don't know why that is either, unless they don't want us to know the truth.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #15

Thanks, SWB. Someday we may all know.
BnG

Kawanow #150