Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #1

My knees get wet!!!

IMG_3717.jpg Does anyone know of an Air Deflector or a Filler or SOMETHING to block or fill this area? My knees get wet!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-16-2014, 12:34 AM   #2

I had the same thing... It's a poor design when the water runs down the fairing to that point and then blows onto your knees. My knees are about the only part of me that feels the cold as well.

So it annoyed me too... I went & bought a roll of adhesive backed sponge rubber seal about 12mm x 12mm, (maybe 1/2 inch square) and stuck a length of it under the fairing, and another length to the leg guards in the same place so they matched... Put them so they guide the water to the outside edge - end of problem.

I've heard of someone else (Mike Fay on Delphi) who just squashed a short length of that sponge rubber plumber's pipe wrap in there. Same principle.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 05-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #3

These solve the problem completely, although if it really pours hard you have to tuck your elbows in a bit to keep them dry too.

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/wp-c...1300_ABS-5.jpg

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Last edited by dank; 05-16-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #4

Peg you are one step ahead of me all the time! We are taking a 4000 miler this summer to the Tail of the Dragon and trying to get her ready. I'm headed to the hardware store today to see what I can find. They make 101 different air deflectors for Goldwings but cant find 1 for the voyager. I tell my Wing riding buddies'"Those Wings are real nice and when I get real old I'll buy too!" Thanks... again!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Advanced Member

These, but he is REALLY proud of them and I think they look like crap. Especially from the front. http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/voy17.html

A flat piece of soft black foam from a craft store stuffed in there looks pretty decent and works well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #6

I remember when Kris jump through a handful of loops trying to block the wind in the same location.

To me, that's part of the experience of riding a motorcycle. I personally don't want to block every little nick and cranny where wind/water might hit me. If you're riding in rain and the only thing getting wet is you're knees I'd say you're in pretty good condition.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
If you're riding in rain and the only thing getting wet is you're knees I'd say you're in pretty good condition.
That may be the issue here, we are in really good shape rain wise on this bike. So the one place that is hitting us is standing out more in our heads.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Irate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_voyager View Post
Peg you are one step ahead of me all the time! We are taking a 4000 miler this summer to the Tail of the Dragon and trying to get her ready. I'm headed to the hardware store today to see what I can find. They make 101 different air deflectors for Goldwings but cant find 1 for the voyager. I tell my Wing riding buddies'"Those Wings are real nice and when I get real old I'll buy too!" Thanks... again!
LOL OLD? who you calling old??? :)

Old 05-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I remember when Kris jump through a handful of loops trying to block the wind in the same location.

To me, that's part of the experience of riding a motorcycle. I personally don't want to block every little nick and cranny where wind/water might hit me. If you're riding in rain and the only thing getting wet is you're knees I'd say you're in pretty good condition.
That's because your just a kid Jared! Us old guys don't like cold knees, hips, hands. don't like them to get wet riding either.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
These, but he is REALLY proud of them and I think they look like crap. Especially from the front. http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/voy17.html
Holy Fugly Batman

Old 05-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
Advanced Member

It's called a convertable. When the sprinkles start, you just pull over and put the top up.

Seriously though. The foam weather strip in the void sounds like the answer to your dilema.
(kawboysix)

Old 05-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
That's because your just a kid Jared! Us old guys don't like cold knees, hips, hands. don't like them to get wet riding either.
Why don't you just add a roof and block that intensive sunlight and those harsh UV rays.

Last edited by Jared; 05-16-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #13

Dank is that some kind of spaceship? I cant see the V-Twin its all covered up and my wife will fall off the back! When I get real old I'll buy one of those!!! Enjoy it!!!

Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #14

Jared, I used to be young but now I'm into Comfort and Speed!!! LOL!!! Heated Seats, Heated Vests, Stereo, Intercom, CB, Kitchen sink!!!

Old 05-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_voyager View Post
Dank is that some kind of spaceship? I cant see the V-Twin its all covered up and my wife will fall off the back! When I get real old I'll buy one of those!!! Enjoy it!!!
Looks like a Goldwing with a roof. Seems like it's right up some of these old geezers alley.