Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #1

Just put a Techlusion TFI on my bike, a discussion

Hey guys, think I pretty well got all the hard stuff out of the way. So this is more of an opinion asking post. :)

This weekend I did a half Caddman. I used a 9x2" K&N on the right side. ICSs are still intact, but disconnected. Left side has a OEM style K&N in the dog bowl. I ordered two 9x2s but one is still stuck in FedEx land... somewhere.

Bike: 2005 Nomad 1600
Intake: Right side Caddman / Left side Stock
Exhaust: Cobra Speedster Extra Longs

Firstly, for the pilot setting (pot 1), the rpm response as I turn the dial with the rpm at @2000 doesn't track immediately as I turn the dial (there isn't a constant steady response), but there is one spot where the engine really picks up steam and that seemed to be at just a hair past 3:00, At this point there is no gas smell or black smoke, and I can definitly tell a difference riding it. 1st and 2nd gears are much more friendly at low speeds, engine feels a bit stronger, and strangely the popping in the exhaust has been reduced to almost nothing, whereas stock, it was near constant on decel.

Ok, secondly, the Accelerator Pump (pot 2), I tried it at the recommended 4:00, it felt a little better than stock on accel. Put it on 5:00, seemed better still. When I turned it to 3:00, it felt sluggish by comparison. So, I put it at 5:45-6:00ish, it feels even better than 5:00. The temps were in the mid 80s at the time cause it was early morning, but at no point in any of the settings did it ever ping (the bike hardly ever pinged on 93 unless it was 97+ outside. Even then, it wasn't that bad. Also, during quick accel, there is no smoke.

The Main Jet (pot 3) is set to off and the Crossover (pot 4) is set to 9 because most things I've read said the stock ECU provides enough fuel at 4000rpm and up, so I figured I could let them be for now and focus on the first two pots.

So for recap, my settings are 3:15, 5:45, 1:00, 9:00

Most settings I've seen for setups close to mine have pot 2 at the 2:30-3:30 range, so I was just curious as to why mine seemed to perform better all the way up close to 6? Could my butt dyno be lying to me? Or... is this a case of every bike is different? Just thought I'd have a discussion on the topic. Thanks for your input. :)

PS, I've read the manual for the TFI, along with as many threads as I could find on this site, and any material I could find online. If I missed any vital information that should be obvious to me now, I apolgize.

Login or Register to Remove Ads