Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Thumbs Up NomaGlide build

Might as well start a thread about the Tour Glide fairing. I'd add it to the mods thread I already started but this is a huge project all by itself and needs it's own thread.

A brief history first. I bought an early '80s HD Tour Glide fairing a few weeks ago. Total disaster as it was in much poorer condition than I expected. There are some early '80s only TG fairing parts (specifically the built in turn signals) that are damn near impossible to find and rediculously expensive when you can find them. One of the turn signals was damaged and the fairing in general was "less than perfect". Too much work to do so....I bought an '89 TG fairing (which has separate turn signals). I've been buying other misc parts I'll need since and have most of what I need minus (1) headlight, a fuse block and a custom made main bracket.

Today I spent a bit of time at the local hardware store looking for all the little screws, nuts and bolts to attach everything. Less than a win as a few of the screws, etc were wrong but not a complete fail as I got enough to start mocking things up.

I've decided to use the old fairing to mock things up as I'll have to drill a few extra holes while moving parts around. Once I know exactly where I need things, I'll transfer the measurements to the good fairing and sell the old one. Even if I only get $50 or $100, I'll still be satisfied.

Here's a pic of the old fairing bolted to the crash bars (as HD did).

As you can see, it's in the VERY early stages. The zip ties are to keep it level and to keep it off the fender. Don't mind the tape. That's what I used to mark where all the places I needed to fiberglass. I don't have the same problem with the new fairing.

Here's a pic of the old windshield just sitting on the old fairing. I'll have a new windshield made the same height (16" I think). I'd like to find a recurve but can't find anyone who makes one.

The fairing needs to come back about 2" but I'll need to make sure there's enough room with the forks turned full lock. As it is, it's quite a stretch to where the radio will be. Also, the glove boxes won't open fully with the handle bars straight. A nice set of ape hangers should fix that nicely as that should make the upright part of the bars straighter. (It'll also solve that outstretched arms, bending over problem.)

I hope to work on it a bit more tomorrow. I'd like to get the rest of the bolts needed (never knew the lower mounts took shoulder bolts) and the fairing moved back over the weekend aswell as measuring for the center mount. Once that's done, I can take the fairing off and remove the tank in preparation for the rest of the winter mods and wiring for the fairing.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Monkeyman; 03-06-2012 at 02:39 AM.