Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

18" front wheels for Vaquero

I want to moderately change the look of my bike by simply changing the diameter of the front wheel to 18" and going from a 130/90/16 to 130/70/18 front tire (which are readily available) such that it fits just like the current setup does and you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference when looking dead on from the front. I would retain the front fender, brake set up etc.
Problem is, I can't find any 18" front wheels for the Vaquero!
Has anybody either looked into this already, or knows of a diverse wheel manufacturer?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Advanced Member

You can go to Phatperformanceparts.com for wheels...they have some real pretty 18x3.5 rims for under a grand or one I saw for 982.00 and change. If you really want to make it right, trash the funky front fender like I did and go to cruisercustomizing.com and get a klockwerks front fender. The one I have is the hugger "level" fender that fits the stock 16 inch front rim or any of the 18 inch wheels Phat has. The fender mounting kit allows you to flip the mounting blocks for either rim size mentioned 18 or 16.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #3

Thanks! While it doesn't say on the website, do the stock brake components just swap right over?
I'll give that Klockwerks fender a look as well.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
Advanced Member

The brake rotors may or may not be applicable for a new wheel.....although I would bet more on the + side for that one. You can get Phatperformance on the phone and ask them about that.....the stock wheel bearings and brake rotors should fit the new 18 rim they offer, along with stock spacers. I think it would be cool if they had wave rotors available for stock replacements. If a different set of rotors had to be purchased, they are not a lot of money although the whole setup must work with the calipers as well. The guys at Phat are knowledgeable and will help you all the way with any questions you may have.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Klockwerks fender

Here's my Klockwerks fender on mine....on the stock 16 inch rim. The mounting blocks can be flipped over to fit the fender on the 18 inch rim with say, if you get the 18x3.5 rim over a 130/70-18 tire. They have a few different styles to choose from in this format.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0055.jpg (94.5 KB, 76 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #6

Check these guys out too. They have a bunch of different wheels in several sizes. They are bolt on and you can use the stock rotors or get matching rotors.

http://www.rotation.mx/wheels-metric-cruiser/
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 04-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #7

While we're on the subject, anyone know of a kit to swap on a Harley 18" front wheel? There's some Nice Harley CVO take off wheels for cheap on eBay. I know there was a Nomad thread where it was done, but was hoping there was an easy way to do it. Sounded like that guy did some machining to get it to work.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:42 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Rotation first I knew of them thanks Gypsy for the tip. Looks like great selection and even better when the stock rotors and wheel bearings and spacers all fit right. It would otherwise be a real pain in the ass and not be worth the trouble. I replaced that bulbous funky front fender on my Vaquero with a Klockwerks hugger and painted it black. It made all the difference in the word and actually made the 16 inch front wheel look 10 times better....even my friends noticed and remarked about it. Fender and paint, $650.00 total.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken Blowout View Post
While we're on the subject, anyone know of a kit to swap on a Harley 18" front wheel? There's some Nice Harley CVO take off wheels for cheap on eBay. I know there was a Nomad thread where it was done, but was hoping there was an easy way to do it. Sounded like that guy did some machining to get it to work.
There is another thread on this same topic, which points to this interesting article.
https://sites.google.com/site/rodsv2...awasaki-vulcan

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 04-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Wow nice article and I am wondering if it is really all that worth it, the work for the HD wheel. I did however, know that the axle and other componentry for the HD setup is actually metric as one day I found this out when my friend was wondering if my axle tool would fit his 2014 Street glide. It did. Harleys are not all that SAE anymore....things are changing. Many parts for Harleys are made overseas these days as the company is always looking for mega sales profits and finding ways to make parts cheaper. So for all you HD guys who think those bikes are still "all American", take a closer look....they're not.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #11

18" wheel

Thinking of buying a Voyager.. already thinking of front wheel mod...

So is there a 18 inch on any other Kawasaki or Suzuki bikes?

Currently have a 2nd gen venture.. put a Stratoliner wheel on it... any chance the stratoliner could fit?

Old 09-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_greg View Post
Thinking of buying a Voyager.. already thinking of front wheel mod...

So is there a 18 inch on any other Kawasaki or Suzuki bikes?

Currently have a 2nd gen venture.. put a Stratoliner wheel on it... any chance the stratoliner could fit?
Turns out there are many choices, particularly from RC Components where I got mine almost three years ago. I ended up with a 19" wheel, Straight swap, went with 130/60/19 tire.