Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 11-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #1

Voyager Convertible Kits

Anybody have any experience with or know something about the VOYAGER Motorcycle Convertible trike kits?
Somehow these always seem to remind me of "training wheels".
The link is www.mtcvoyager.com
From the pictures on the link, the Nomad saddlebags are still there, but wonder how they could open all the way?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Voyager Convertible Kits

It doesn't look like the bags would open completely. I don't know anything about the conversion kit. Not a bad idea if you have someone in the house that is afraid to ride, like my wife. If I knew she would ride with me I might consider purchasing it.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 11-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #3

Voyager Convertible Kits

The Hannigan trike-kits do look the best of any I have seen.

The Voyager kits look like the cater to the HD crowd with top-opening bags -- whereby the Nomad's bags would open only partially. That would be a problem I would think.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #4

Voyager Convertible Kits

I have a Voyager kit on my '04 and can still use my bags. But...you swap out your hinges on your bags and they send you a pair of modified hinges that allow the door to slide off after they open. There is about 6" to open the door and lift it off the hinge pin. Works just fine!. PM me if you have any questions.
mike

Old 11-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #5

Voyager Convertible Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
This is the best looking trik I have seen made from a Kawasaki.

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/conten...sakitrike.html
I have been talking to them, since before they had ever done a Nomad conversion. Now they have done at least one and answered my questions about keeping the saddlebags, etc. IMHO, they seem to offer the best Trike conversion on the market. However, their prices reflect that and puts it out of my humble reach. Darn it!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #6

Voyager Convertible Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
I don't know anything about the conversion kit. Not a bad idea if you have someone in the house that is afraid to ride, like my wife. If I knew she would ride with me I might consider purchasing it.
That's my primary reason for thinking trike. My wife absolutely refuses to ride the Nomad with me, even though we have logged thousands of miles riding our Burgman650. Two different friends of ours have had their GoldWings converted and my wife thinks we need to go that way with the Nomad.
I would rather have a complete transformation like Hannigan and others offer, but the price keeps me from going in that direction.
Although the Voyager (and others of this style) appear to me more like training wheels, it is an interesting thought that you can take them off (in 5 minutes, Voyager claims!) and be able to ride on two wheels again, whenever you want. I still have unanswered questions concerning the steering problem that happens when the bike is now a trike. A completely different set of dynamics occur.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #7

Voyager Convertible Kits

BTW: For anyone who is interested, here are a couple of links to the Voyager site.

http://www.mtcvoyager.com/kits_on_motorcycle.html?mtc=6

and a photo of a Nomad custom Voyager.

This guy went all the way, even to getting a complete matching paint job. Ever see a Yellow Nomad before?

Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Voyager Convertible Kits

The dynamics do change with a conversion kit. I know a few guys that ride trikes and seem to really love them. I don't think you could take a sharp curve with the trike that you take with a motocycle. I fear they might flip over if you took a curve too fast.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181