Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

with just a little work on the 2000 cc using the same frame and adding the fairing and trunk and bags cruise and creature comfort items they could have had a awesome bike and kept a lot of riders that went to other brands

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtom69 View Post
with just a little work on the 2000 cc using the same frame and adding the fairing and trunk and bags cruise and creature comfort items they could have had a awesome bike and kept a lot of riders that went to other brands
I think they had to up their game a bit. The trunk and bags aren't first rate and big enough, the room for the pillion is smaller than the HD touring bikes and unless your SO is a waif, it won't work well and it's compounded by the fact that it can't be easily adjusted and even then it looks half-assed. I also found the 1700 engine tuned way too mellow. I rode a 96" EG and I couldn't tell the difference. The 1700 should have been better power wise. And even better choice would have been a C14 with different bags, a real topcase, rational ergos and a slight increase in displacement to add a little more power for the added stuff, which would be cruise control, a better fairing/heat control, audio system, etc. Instead they went in the other direction with both bikes, although the C14 was executed better in some ways. The V2k had some issues that Kawasaki wanted to divest themselves of. It's a not a 250K mile engine like the 1700. I've read about too many examples chugging oil with under 100K and some as low as 30K. They should have put some of the Ninja engineers on the Voyager project and come up with a better designed bike.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #3

When I test rode the Chieftain I absolutely fell in love with it. Even to this day with all the mods to my Vaq it still falls short to the Chieftain BIG TIME. I am patiently waiting for Indian to improve the paint quality. Havin worked on Jap crap for so long I have never seen the "soft paint" complaints so many Indian owners are expressing, and for what a Jap bike costs there is no reason for soft paint, even more so on what an Indian costs.

There are other issues I see with the Indians that are keeping me with the Vaq, but hopefully in time all the kinks will get worked out, then I'll take the plunge. Have fun and good luck with your RM.

RACNRAY

Old 05-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #4

Thanks everyone for all the positve comments. Ray i have read about the soft paint and on the showroom floor there was a black RM and on the right side saddle bag cover were swirl marks on a brand new one. I told the dealer to make sure mine never sees the showroom floor.

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster