Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #1

Debaffle ?

I'm considering doing the debaffle. I went to 2 dealers and 1 bike shop to get opinions. Every tech advised against it, saying the bike would run poorly after tampering with a tuned system. Has anyone had such a problem after doing this procedure?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Debaffle ?

Speaking from my own experience... no. It sounds better, but I didn't notice any decrease in performance.

I don't put a lot of faith in what dealership techs might tell you.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Debaffle ?

I did it and I am happy with the sound, not too loud, but loud enough for me and the wife.
No issues affecting performance. Add a TFI and a 9" air filter and you will be very surprised at the performance difference.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #4

Debaffle ?

Hi Vince. redtail here. i debaffled about a month or so ago. great sound and not too loud. my wife loves it. As far as performance i couldn't tell any differance at all and have done no other modes. we got 42mpg. fully loaded, two up, and in the mountains during our trip to helen. in town i usually get around 38 to 40. my nomad is a '03 1500 fi. go for it man.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #5

Debaffle ?

dont do it, I mean if you are the type of personality that questions the decisions you sometimes make, DONT DO IT. If you have the type of personality that will find a way to make any decision you make, a winner, THEN DO IT..

Sorry for the venting but, I have done, undone, done, undone, bought all the mufflers possible from members here, actually paid $800.00 once for a set of new stock mufflers, God I am crazy.

My advice is to buy a set of debaffled mufflers from someone, and keep your stock. Or if you really want that big bike sound, get a set of Dooleys. Hell, some say they are to high in price, no, not compared to what Kawa wants for just stock mufflers.

And those Goat bellys we all have lying around, new stock ones are over $600.00 bucks.

So all I am saying is that debaffled works for some, and that is cool, but go about it in a way that doesnt cost you in the long run. Trust me, I know.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #6

Debaffle ?

Seems to sound a little deeper.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #7

Debaffle ?

I debaffled mine last weekend. I like the sound much better then stock and my wife and I can still talk while cruising hi-way speeds with no problem. It had no effect on the performance of how the bike ran. I added a Dobeck TFI Fuel Module and that improved the performance.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #8

Debaffle ?

Debaffled about 8 months ago. No performance issues. Added the TFI a couple of weeks ago. Otherwise, my bike is stock. Oh, by the way, the shop foreman at my dealership told me the same thing but was ready and willing to sell me a set of V & H aftermarket pipes.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #9

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Debaffle ?

D'baffled 12 thousand miles ago, and no problems here. And with each modification I do me and my beloved Nomad become closer. Sometimes I take what the techs say with a grain of salt. The last Dyno Tech I spoke with told me that people purchase TFI fuel processor and have no idea how to set them up. As it turned out I had my pots set within a half hour of his settings.

I believe there is a set of d'baffled pipes for sale in the for sale section of the board if you want to go that route. Or take a chance and go for it if you like the feeling of your chest swelling with pride!!!!!!! Thats why I love my Nomad!

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #10

Debaffle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjam
dont do it, I mean if you are the type of personality that questions the decisions you sometimes make, DONT DO IT. If you have the type of personality that will find a way to make any decision you make, a winner, THEN DO IT..

Sorry for the venting but, I have done, undone, done, undone, bought all the mufflers possible from members here, actually paid $800.00 once for a set of new stock mufflers, God I am crazy.

My advice is to buy a set of debaffled mufflers from someone, and keep your stock. Or if you really want that big bike sound, get a set of Dooleys. Hell, some say they are to high in price, no, not compared to what Kawa wants for just stock mufflers.

And those Goat bellys we all have lying around, new stock ones are over $600.00 bucks.

So all I am saying is that debaffled works for some, and that is cool, but go about it in a way that doesnt cost you in the long run. Trust me, I know.

Ok TRJAM admitted he was crazy

He also has some commitment issues

Just kidding TR...I know you are just trying to help!

Actually I kind of flip flopped in my opinion after my debaffle as well. At first I liked it but did not like the thump thump thump at highway speed...wanted quieter......and I got it quieter....by accident! I installed Valkyrie tips and Chuckster's lowers at the same time....somehow one of these mods or possibly the combination of the two really made a difference at speed.

Now I love the sound, but don't kid yourself, it isn't the sound of Netnorske's V&H's with the "Ultimate" debaffle.....but for the huge $$$ difference BD's debaffle does offer a little deeper tone than stock for little cost.

No performace issues that I have noticed (6 mos-5000 miles).

Good luck.

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 05-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Debaffle ?

TR has a valid point!

Some have a "gear head" personality and will make any mod work and some have the "drive in, drive out" "make it all better for me" personality. If your in the latter of the two, go buy some aftermaket pipes and have the dealer install them. You'll be much happier.

Ask any darksider if he's a gear head with his Nomad. I bet 100% of them say yes.. Our Nomads are a personalized committments for each and everyone of us!

I drive a 93 dodge turbodiesel. It's highly modified (done by me)! I couldn't part with her!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #12

Debaffle ?

Vincent' let us know what you're doing or thinking. Some of these answers could be taken as harsh. Believe me you are amongst friends here, and there's nothing to fear.

Once their was a guy on this forum who ask a lot of questions about the debaffle. He went through the hole procedure and for one reason or another got butter flies in his stomach and went back and bought a set of new stock pipes. I believe Cactusjack may remember. I felt bad because I had a hand in talking him into it.

I've had other jobs in my life but I've always been a mechanic. I enjoy modifying machines to make them perform better. If that's close to your background, I say go for it. If not that's fine to. ;)

Do you live close to one of the members?

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 05-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Debaffle ?

Harsh me???

itsemt, I'm acutally agreeing with trjam!!! He's right in his own "change my mind every other minute" capacity

Vincent: I apologize if I sounded like itsemt said. "harsh". I'll digress some and say the opinion of your dealer is the LAST opinion you'll ever want to hear. In 35 years of riding motorcycles I've only met two mechanics in a dealership that knew as much as I has already forgotten! Trust me that's not a feather in my cap to say I know tons. It's more about the sorry state of affairs that exists in the dealerships.

Successful modifications done by experinced Nomad owners has infinite times the value that any dealer you'll ever find has. When several dealers couldn't find nor fix my non-venting gas cap that was spilling all over my tank, guess who fixed it? BD.... and I know it was done right!

My point is that the value of the information you will no doubt obtain here shouldn't be clouded by the harsness or blunt style of anyone's delivery, especially yours truely!! I'm the worst at it!!! But I will always lead you to greener pastures. Always...

If a louder exhaust is not really at the very top of your list right now, sit back and think awhile about it and add other bling...... You'll pick up enough here to have a go at some of the mods. When you jump to the "Darkside" or car tire, we'll know you've arrived!!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #14

Debaffle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
TR has a valid point!

Some have a "gear head" personality and will make any mod work and some have the "drive in, drive out" "make it all better for me" personality. If your in the latter of the two, go buy some aftermaket pipes and have the dealer install them. You'll be much happier.

Ask any darksider if he's a gear head with his Nomad. I bet 100% of them say yes.. Our Nomads are a personalized committments for each and everyone of us!

I drive a 93 dodge turbodiesel. It's highly modified (done by me)! I couldn't part with her!
Well BD, I have a 2005 Dodge, and it is completly stock. Lol

Bottom line folks, 99 percent will love the debaffle or want more later. I happen to now realize I am in the 1 percent and just like the quiet stock sound when crusing. I had a set of new Dooleys and sold them without ever evening opening them. Yeah, I am flaky, but have a good heart. Lol

Old 05-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #15

Debaffle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Harsh me???

itsemt, I'm acutally agreeing with trjam!!! He's right in his own "change my mind every other minute" capacity

Vincent: I apologize if I sounded like itsemt said. "harsh". I'll digress some and say the opinion of your dealer is the LAST opinion you'll ever want to hear. In 35 years of riding motorcycles I've only met two mechanics in a dealership that knew as much as I has already forgotten! Trust me that's not a feather in my cap to say I know tons. It's more about the sorry state of affairs that exists in the dealerships.

Successful modifications done by experinced Nomad owners has infinite times the value that any dealer you'll ever find has. When several dealers couldn't find nor fix my non-venting gas cap that was spilling all over my tank, guess who fixed it? BD.... and I know it was done right!

My point is that the value of the information you will no doubt obtain here shouldn't be clouded by the harsness or blunt style of anyone's delivery, especially yours truely!! I'm the worst at it!!! But I will always lead you to greener pastures. Always...

If a louder exhaust is not really at the very top of your list right now, sit back and think awhile about it and add other bling...... You'll pick up enough here to have a go at some of the mods. When you jump to the "Darkside" or car tire, we'll know you've arrived!!!!
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Now my feeling are hurt :'( :'( :'( harsh a hole

Vince ain't posted in a while. He may be in the garage trying to snatch them aggravating mufflers out, while we're preaching a sermon in cyberspace!

You don't need a wooden dowel for the baffleectomy!! There that ought to get the puddin' stirred!

Woo Weee Vince if you want to hear howling, snarling, snorting, open throat screaming, and gnashing of teeth just mention a car tire for your Nomad to your riding buds.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad