Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Ultimate Baffles (Important) - Screens vs Pins

For those of you considering making the V&H Ultimate Baffles, here's something very important to consider. There has been much discussion here about the sceens vs the pins. I have both and whether or not you add the screens, you should definitely leave the pins in and here's why....

Dkdixie recently sent me some new screens to try (thx Dick). When I installed my Ult. Baffs awhile ago, because I used stainless steel for the material, I slathered them up good with anti-sieze all around the outer edges so that they would be somewhat easily removable.

Well....after two months (and 5000k) of riding around....one was a little tough to get out. After using a wire brush and screwdriver to rid the inner pipe of carbon buildup as best I could.....I used a pair of pliers to reach in and grab the pin. This allowed me a good solid hold and by pushing forward and back....was easily able to slide the baffle out.

Here's the deal though.....without that pin.....there is nothing....and I mean nothing...to grab hold of to get these things in and out... ! I would have been S.O.L. had there been no pins to grab. I honestly don't know what you would do to get them out again beyond somehow sacrificing your screens.

Thought I better mention this before someone runs into a problem.... ;). Make sure you anti-seize them upon installation and that you have something to grab onto later, because they will "stick" in there. I am going to make a point to pull them out every so often to re-apply the anti-sieze!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Excellent point, Kris!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 07-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Top Contributor

GTK(Good To Know),,, :-)

Old 07-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the good info. I bought and installed the Vance and Hines last week. Now I am just waiting for someone to offer to sale the Ulitmate baffle.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #5

If you needed to remove the baffles with no pin, you could use a slide hammer to get them out. This method would ruin the screens if you had them installed, but they would come out of the pipe. Once out you could install a pin or new screens.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #6

There's a much easier way to remove them.
Any "L" shaped tool, like a nail puller will work. One of mine is tight and I use a "L" shaped tool used in working on drum brakes.
Any tool of this type will "hook" between the baffle and screen.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 07-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #7

Should have these available any day now. I have some pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffkimkaitlyn/ of the prototype version I had produced. I'm waiting to get a production cost, and will share it with everyone as soon as I do! I agree that the pin is a great way to not only remove, but also install them. I was able to use it to insert the baffles and then turn them to locate the two screws to secure them. I tried no pin or screen, but it was TOO LOUD! The pin alone didn't quiet things at all. I then tried the larger hole screens, next the smaller hole screens, and finally both together. Not sure I noticed much difference with any of the screen combinations. Anyway, the baffles are made of 6061 Aluminum, and the removable pins are stainless, as well as the screens. I've secured a source for allen head 1/2-20 stainless screws, and would suggest using them for securing the baffles and the screens. I found my screws holding the stock baffles were pretty scuffed, gues I'm dragging on some curbs. Anyway, I'll have everything priced out and a production schedule in a day or two.
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Old 07-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #8

I've left mine the same since the adaption of the screen. I pulled the pins, but the hole is still there to where i am sure I could get some kind of a mentioned L shaped tool in there. worse case though, couldn't you just pull the pipe off at the connection and drive it out that way? I however, am hoping I never have to remove them.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperboy
Should have these available any day now. I have some pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffkimkaitlyn/ of the prototype version I had produced. I'm waiting to get a production cost, and will share it with everyone as soon as I do! I agree that the pin is a great way to not only remove, but also install them. I was able to use it to insert the baffles and then turn them to locate the two screws to secure them. I tried no pin or screen, but it was TOO LOUD! The pin alone didn't quiet things at all. I then tried the larger hole screens, next the smaller hole screens, and finally both together. Not sure I noticed much difference with any of the screen combinations. Anyway, the baffles are made of 6061 Aluminum, and the removable pins are stainless, as well as the screens. I've secured a source for allen head 1/2-20 stainless screws, and would suggest using them for securing the baffles and the screens. I found my screws holding the stock baffles were pretty scuffed, gues I'm dragging on some curbs. Anyway, I'll have everything priced out and a production schedule in a day or two.
Jasperboy,
Was looking at your photos and noticed you have the screens to the rear of the baffles.....very noticeable. I myself and I think most others have the screens on the front of the baffles (toward the front of the bike). They are a lot less noticeable this way and may (or may not) change the sound and/or performance.

Just from a looks perspective, I think you would want the screens positioned farther back into the pipe on the other side of the baffles to help hide them. JMHO.

Simply pull them out and turn them around so the screen faces the front of the bike....you will see what I mean....
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 07-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Top Contributor

I totally agree with Net. Screens must be on the front side to hide them. Another source for those SS screws for the V&H baffles is Lowes I just bought a few myself.

Now we have 1 pin and 2 screens together and not much change in the sound??? ???

Old 07-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #11

Jasperboy, I looked at your photos, and the screens "should" be mounted on the other side of the baffle, on the side with the angle instead of the side with the radius, and the radius side to the outside of the pipe. The angle side is to collect the exhaust and "funnel" it out. Least ways, that was the way I designed them to be. I know they're not perfect, but it was a starting point to give other folks some way to "tinker" with the V&H sound.
Kudos to you though for all the work you have put into getting these into production.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #12

Yup, screens on the INSIDE! I'll make that adjustment prior to any production. They do look a little odd with the screen visible, I just didn't see an easy way to tap the screw holes on the backside, but that is an easy change.
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #13
Top Contributor

The guy who made mine simply lathed a small flat edge on the backside to accommodate the screens. Unfortunately, since the screens were an afterthought of the original design....that step is not reflected in the drawing.... :-/.
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 07-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperboy
Yup, screens on the INSIDE! I'll make that adjustment prior to any production. They do look a little odd with the screen visible, I just didn't see an easy way to tap the screw holes on the backside, but that is an easy change.
Holes can still be tapped on the "backside" without any modification. Even though you are tapping into a taper it can easily be done with a drill press. I did mine on a neighbors drill press with no problem.
Would make it much easier though with about 1/4" flat surface.

Suggestion: You might consider changing the screen bolt size to 10-32 instead of 1/4-20. 10-32 x 3/4" works well when tapping into the taper, 10-32 x 1/2" would be enough on flat surface. Don't really need over sized 1/4-20 bolt.

When the screen holes are tapped, take into consideration the bolt head placement. If close enough to the edge, grind/file off a little of the head of the bolt and it will not have enough room to work loose.
I would also suggest tapping at least 3 holes, if not 4. Want to keep the screen flat.

Jasper, you have done a great job in finding a source to have these manufactured!
Well done!!

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 07-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #15

Perhaps having a smaller diameter hole in the baffle, would quiet them down just enough so that the screens are not required. The hole could always be opened up later if it doesn't make a difference.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951