Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #61
Advanced Member

The change in the ECU makes the bike run much better lessening it's chances of things going wrong and life is a risk anyway. You either do it or you don't. If you take good care of your ride and perform all the routine maintenance tasks, chances are best you will never need the warranty before it expires. I have protection on mine until 2020 and do all my own maintenance. I keep after it like it's a $500,000.oo sports car.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #62

Hlknvlcn60...your right. Life is a risk. I have always done my own maitenance on all my vehicles be it trucks,cars or bikes and so far nothing has blown up(yet). Of all the mods done to these bikes,i think Ivans mod is probably the best yet. I look forward to hearing how yours works out.
grasshopper driver backrest
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
freedom performance true duals
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
kuryakin longhorn cruise pedals
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Old 02-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #63
Advanced Member

Right on Rozie.....you know the drill! I feel very positive about this as Ivan is a well researched tech who spends countless man hours getting things to work right and has earned the reputation to back it up. It may be a couple of weeks before I run mine after re-installing the unit because of crummy wet cold Oregon weather...but first chance, the big green beast will hit the backroads for a full test. Until then......
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #64

Self diagnosis is intact...

I doubt that the entire warranty would be voided even if they did know...

The problem would have to be directly related to the ECU. A burned stator or regulator, or something unrelated should be covered.
Look up "magnuson moss warranty act"

The rev-limiter is still stock, I see no need to raise it on this bike with a stock, un-modified motor.

Ride more and worry less

Ivan

Old 02-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #65
Advanced Member

Right...and the fact that these motors make peak torque around 2750 RPM and even if that goes up with the ECU re-flashed, the torque curve will stay well with the rev range.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-27-2016, 07:41 PM   #66

Damn. I just today picked up my vaq from the dealer installing V&H and a power commander. Rode several hours in traffic and highway and had ZERO popping on decal. Stayed with stock intake and used a can tune for this set up, even tried giving it throttle right before letting it decal and can't get it to pop. I'm VERY pleased with the sound and unless it's imagined it does seem to have a little more response to the throttle. I only have 1300 on the bike and from what I understand these motors relax and run better a little after 2k or so. Should I wait to do this ECU flash until it's got a few more miles on it?

Old 02-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #67
Top Contributor

I found that my Voyager loosened up between 5,000 and 10,000 kms.
The engine did not get as warm and had more pep.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I found that my Voyager loosened up between 5,000 and 10,000 kms.
The engine did not get as warm and had more pep.
+1
I have just over 5100 miles and the bike runs way better than when it was new

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 02-27-2016, 09:28 PM   #69
Advanced Member

It takes more like 10,000 miles or more before these bikes really start to loosen up....they come tighter than a popcorn fart from the factory the tolerances take time to mate. I took it pretty easy on mine until it had over 4k on the meter. Changing the intake is a large part of what makes these bikes pop and belch, even plugging the fresh air hoses off can still have it happening. Each bike has it's own characteristics and temperaments. The ECU still has many restrictions on it to meet requirements and Ivan's flash will eliminate all of that making the motor run to it's real potential. This is also in sync with having a 2-1 pipe like I have more the reason for the flash. I look forward to the initial test that may have everyone not needing to spend money on commanders and fuel processors anymore. Everyone will know soon.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #70
Advanced Member

Ivan, does your flash address the cruise control issue that many of us have experienced? While riding with cruise set the engine will suddenly loose power for a second then resume on its own. It does this without touching any of the cancel switches or resume button. My bike will do this once in maybe 5000 miles, and I've heard about it affecting all years and models of 1700 with cruise control. It does not affect the instruments or radio so it is not an electrical power interruption, just a momentary fuel shut-off.
This has never happened on my bike when holding a steady speed manually. I've have 4 different ECUs they all do it.
And FYI, there are no 2009 or 2010 ECUs. They were recalled in 2011 and replaced with a factory reflash to fix revving and stalling issues. The recall units have a blue dot on them.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Last edited by gv550; 02-28-2016 at 07:34 AM.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #71
Advanced Member

gv550.....my guess is that with better fueling response the cruise should function a little better on that level. Good point, when I get my ECU back from Ivan this coming week and go out for a test ride, that will include the use of my cruise although I have never had a problem with mine, it has always functioned perfectly. Every bike has it's own unique set of quirks and perks. I will include the cruise control function when I report on the changes from the reprogrammed ECU.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
Ivan, does your flash address the cruise control issue that many of us have experienced? While riding with cruise set the engine will suddenly loose power for a second then resume on its own. It does this without touching any of the cancel switches or resume button. My bike will do this once in maybe 5000 miles, and I've heard about it affecting all years and models of 1700 with cruise control. It does not affect the instruments or radio so it is not an electrical power interruption, just a momentary fuel shut-off.
This has never happened on my bike when holding a steady speed manually. I've have 4 different ECUs they all do it.
And FYI, there are no 2009 or 2010 ECUs. They were recalled in 2011 and replaced with a factory reflash to fix revving and stalling issues. The recall units have a blue dot on them.

If it's from fuel cut, then it's fixed...

I have not changed any of the programming for it, as I am only concerned with driveability and performance issues.

Ivan

Old 02-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #73

2015 & 2016 models have been added and are now available....

Classic is on deck... should be available within a week or 2.
The Classic is the most restricted of the 1700 models, as the throttle closes to 80% opening above 4500 rpm.

I'll post the Classic's chart on my site when I finish the final adjustments.

Ivan

Old 02-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #74

Tracking says it showed today :) this means I'll have it back soon and I can start it and rev it in my garage can't wait lol damn northern ny weather :(
Freedom 2-1
IVANS ECU/PCV-ignition
Fan override switch
avon grips - w rays throttle mod
14" club t-bars
corbin touring seat
Rockford PBR300x4 amp
6.5 speakers front / 6x9 in bags
lay down integrated plate
bagger sheild
integrated front signals
BUT WAIT THERES MORE!!!

Old 03-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #75

Ivan can your reflash fix the speedometer error we have in the Vaquero? That would be a great fix to have included with everything else you have done.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit