Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Week of adventure (on my Nomad) ends adventurously

One of my earliest postings asked when does the fuel Gauge's "E" mean empty for real.

Last weekend I posted a question about gas seepage from the fuel cap.

My mind is an "auto-pilot" kind of processor in the early morning darkness, especially "bc" (before coffee).

That sets the stage for this morning's drive, which, like most Friday's has far less traffic (flex days, I guess).

On the bike's stand this morning, I thought I saw the gas gauge bars above a half tank.

About halfway to work, I looked down to check the time and noticed the yellow warning light and one bar. My full-face helmet, assisted by my Pillsbury doughboy clothes, obscures the gauge unless I intentionally tilt down, so I wasn't sure which cycle of the yellow light I was seeing--one of the short-duration, attention-getter yellow lights or the bottom-line, "I'm serious, here" yellow light.

I pushed the gauge's mode button to see my trip-meter--112 miles! What happened to my gas? I comfortably get 3 legs of my commuting route (44 miles each) on a tank.

Then I remembered last week's fuel seepage. While waiting for the O-ring (when I will also "fix" the cap), I've not been filling the tank to the splash guard. Also, at my last fill-up, I didn't put the bike on the side stand, either. OK, I was legitimately low on gas. (morning, bc)

Now, which yellow warning light cycle was I on? I don't like filling the tank in the dark in general, and my wallet was under my overalls, I'd have to remove my mittens, I wasn't sure in which pocket I put my Nomad key, and, if I got off this light traffic highway, someone was going to cause an accident up ahead and back things up, and ... but I didn't know which yellow light cycle I was on and, frankly, running out of gas on I-270 also has its inconveniences.

I took the next exit and, as I curved down the exit ramp, the light wnet out. I wasn't on my last warning yet! (Back to the wallet under the overalls, etc. mode)

I got right back on the highway. Eventually the light came on again. Was THIS the last light? I checked my mileage and did some math trying to calculate the 1/5 of a tank (rule-of-thumb for reserve) mileage. I should be able to make it to work. The yellow light went out again. If my math was right, I could make it to the stations around work. The final yellow light came on -- but I wasn't not worried now. Attentive, but not worried.

Then, two miles before my exit, as I was riding in the left lane in heavy traffic, I felt it. Slight, but noticeable. That little hesitation. Friends, if you've ever run out of gas, you know that little loss of combustion. It gets your attention like that little curiosity bump that Jaws gives to help decide if you are to be lunch.

Running out of gas in the left lane of rush hour I270 would indicate Darwin-ism candidacy, so I immediately started moving right. A couple more hesitations, but I made it all the way over. I could walk for gas if I had to. Oddly, the hesitations would come and go--but I was getting the message. I took the first available exit and, feeling the ever moe foreceful hesitations, missed the turn to my destination gas station.

I ended up making it. Getting to know the limits of a new bike is thrilling. Right now, I'm not liking the digital gauge. There's a lack of precision that my Classic's analog gauge provided. I could look down and, when the needle was COMPLETELY over the "E," I had about a quarter gallon left.

I'll eventually learn, but, in the morning dark--bc-- retrieving lessons can take a while.

Login or Register to Remove Ads