Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #1

Best cycle I've ever owned

The other day I was thinking about how much I love the Nomad. I've put 25,000 miles on my '07 leftover since May of last year and I've enjoyed every mile. (Well except for the accident). I was wondering about how many miles I've put on bikes since I started riding and I'll guess between 250 and 300,00 miles. The Nomad isn't the quickest or best handling but it has the amazing ability to put a smile on my face every time I mount her. After doing the mods and getting her just right, I'm thinking I'll keep her as long as she lives. (That is unless an '08 or older comes my way that tickles my fancy with less miles. And even then maybe I'll have two, taking turns on riding both of them).

Whoa YEA!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #2

I'm getting close to 20,000 miles on mine in alittle over a year.My Nomad is probably the best all around bike I have owned. 300-500 mile days are no problem and 700-800 mile day are easily done(alittle harder on my backside).

Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #3

I agree, I often find myself sitting in the garage drinking a beer or smoking a cigar and just staring at my Nomad. I have owned just about every style of bike there is, Street Bike, Naked Street Bike, Sport Cruiser, Touring Cruiser, and the Nomad by far is the most enjoyable bike that I have ever had.

I hope she lasts me a really long time!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian ("Itinerant Man")
I agree, I often find myself sitting in the garage drinking a beer or smoking a cigar and just staring at my Nomad.
Glad to know I am not the only one that does that.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #5

The Nomad is an amazing bike. It's a shame that Kawi change her so much in 09.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #6

It must be a guy thing. I too find myself going to the garage just to detail the bike, listen to the radio and remember just how GREAT a bike I really have. It is my 7th motorcycle but must admit that it is the best bike I have owned so far and this is the best forum out there. So glad I am able to be a part of KawaNow.......

Eagleman
VBA# - 01172
2006 Vulcan Nomad Green/Silver

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagles:
they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Well, she's my first bike. I got her 5 months ago and have over 7,500 miles on her so far. At first, I was a little intimidated by the size and power, but now I jump on and take off like I've been riding my whole life. She's so easy to drive. I just don't think you can beat Kawasaki, and a lot of that is from what other people have said. I might eventually upgrade (a few years ahead) to a newer Nomad, Voyager or even the V2K. But I really can't imagine a better bike. Jamie

Old 08-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #8

The Nomad is only my third bike. The first was a 1976 Honda 360 followed 2 years later by a 1978 Yamaha XS750E configured for touring (color matched fairing, bags, bars) which I rode until 1987. Then 20 years went by and I bought the 2006 Nomad. I am so happy that I "found" the Nomad! And then I "found" KawaNow!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #9

My first bike was an 1100 Shadow which I bought new and put 22,000 miles on in a little over 5 years. I thought that was a great bike until the first ride on my new 07 Nomad. I could not believe the difference. The shadow felt like it was going to blow apart at 70 mph and was very unstable feeling at that speed. The Nomad was so smooth I could not believe what I had missed all those years. Before I bought my Nomad I demoed 2 Roadkings, a Roadstar, 2 1800 vtx's, and a used 1500 Nomad, all from one dealership. The Nomad was clearly comparible in power but far exceeded the others in handling and comfort. I later bought a new 1600 Nomad. I still cant believe how much bike I got for the money. And yes, I too find myself just staring and admiring it sitting in my garage when I am not riding her. 10,500 miles now

Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #10

Well, I've got 4,000 miles on my 1700 now and can't believe how great this new Nomad is. I remember when I had my 1500 Nomad and the 1600's came out. I was dissapointed in all the changes, the longer wheelbase, the stretched tank, etc. But as time went on I grew to appreciate the better looking floorboards, the chrome strips that covered the gap between the frame and bags and other features that I wish my 1500 had. But all along I was happy with what I had and didn't begrudge the changes. Evolution being the pursuit of perfection! Well I traded that 1500 for a Goldwing 'cause I thought the wife and I would tour more but I was never completely happy with the "Wing and the wind turbulence was bad for her and she didn't want to ride it too often. A "friend" made me an offer I couldn't refuse by offering too much cash and his bike for a trade so I wound up with a Yamaha Venture. Plenty of power and lots of storage but that thing was a "Porker" in a parking lot and has unbearable engine noises and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Then along came the '09 1700 Nomad. A return to the smaller size that fits me so well, a 1700 engine with more torque, a quiet, smooth, reliable belt drive, A 6th gear overdrive and cruise control. I couldn't wait and when my dealer said he would trade for the Yamaha I rode my new bike home the next day! And I couldn't be happier. There has been NO problem with the Saddlebags. They're not nearly as flimsy as many believe, they hold a LOT and the top loading is so much easier than the side loaders (that admittedly are much more attractive). I'm still surpised by the vehemence exhibited by the 1600 owners over the changes Kawasaki made. If you really want to see some upset people drop by the Voyager website and get their reactions to their new model! (A V-twin!!! OMG!) I'm looking forward to reading posts a couple years from now as "New" Nomad owners become more numerous, the bugs are worked out and everyone realizes that change is inevitable, and whether you own generation 1, generation 2 or generation NOW. Nomads and KawaNOW is the only way to fly. Check out the shot of my ride on the members page, member # 01109. Oh, by the way, it may not be Black but I'll bet it's as fast as yours!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #11

I want for none other. Only owned two but doubt if there will be another any time soon. Then again, I should ride more, only put on 20K mi in the last two years.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #12

I often find myself sitting in the garage

I got myself in trouble that way, twice!!

Came home from great rides, just sat on the bike enjoying the warm, fuzzy feeling, went to get off, and realized I hadn't put the kickstand down.

I don't care if they show 100 pound women on youtube picking up a bike or not! It's heavy to pick up off the floor!!

But, yes, I ride about 1000 miles per month and I come home from each trip with a smile.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #13

On my Nomad I only put on about 10k in 2 years.. Bad season and work got in the way.. on my 04 Honda Sabre I put on a avg of 15k a
year.. Now about 38k from 0 miles when I got it new..
Jim How do you like the Roadnouse pipes???

Rich

Old 08-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #14

I've said it on here before, but I think that the nomad doesn't do anything great, but it does everything well.

I like having a bike that does EVERYTHING well.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
Mega-Contributor

In 2 weeks, I'm riding the Coronado Trail with a bunch of guys from work. It will be an overnight trip: up Saturday, spend the night in Pinetop AZ, then back home on Sunday.

Guess what they all ride? (Hint: It starts with Harley and ends with Davidson). Unless another "enlightened rider" signs up for the trip, I will have the lone metric bike in the group. I see it as a chance to show these "individualists" what a real motorcycle is.

They will be no match for the mighty Black Sunshine. I love my Nomad.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17