Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #1

Just put a Techlusion TFI on my bike, a discussion

Hey guys, think I pretty well got all the hard stuff out of the way. So this is more of an opinion asking post. :)

This weekend I did a half Caddman. I used a 9x2" K&N on the right side. ICSs are still intact, but disconnected. Left side has a OEM style K&N in the dog bowl. I ordered two 9x2s but one is still stuck in FedEx land... somewhere.

Bike: 2005 Nomad 1600
Intake: Right side Caddman / Left side Stock
Exhaust: Cobra Speedster Extra Longs

Firstly, for the pilot setting (pot 1), the rpm response as I turn the dial with the rpm at @2000 doesn't track immediately as I turn the dial (there isn't a constant steady response), but there is one spot where the engine really picks up steam and that seemed to be at just a hair past 3:00, At this point there is no gas smell or black smoke, and I can definitly tell a difference riding it. 1st and 2nd gears are much more friendly at low speeds, engine feels a bit stronger, and strangely the popping in the exhaust has been reduced to almost nothing, whereas stock, it was near constant on decel.

Ok, secondly, the Accelerator Pump (pot 2), I tried it at the recommended 4:00, it felt a little better than stock on accel. Put it on 5:00, seemed better still. When I turned it to 3:00, it felt sluggish by comparison. So, I put it at 5:45-6:00ish, it feels even better than 5:00. The temps were in the mid 80s at the time cause it was early morning, but at no point in any of the settings did it ever ping (the bike hardly ever pinged on 93 unless it was 97+ outside. Even then, it wasn't that bad. Also, during quick accel, there is no smoke.

The Main Jet (pot 3) is set to off and the Crossover (pot 4) is set to 9 because most things I've read said the stock ECU provides enough fuel at 4000rpm and up, so I figured I could let them be for now and focus on the first two pots.

So for recap, my settings are 3:15, 5:45, 1:00, 9:00

Most settings I've seen for setups close to mine have pot 2 at the 2:30-3:30 range, so I was just curious as to why mine seemed to perform better all the way up close to 6? Could my butt dyno be lying to me? Or... is this a case of every bike is different? Just thought I'd have a discussion on the topic. Thanks for your input. :)

PS, I've read the manual for the TFI, along with as many threads as I could find on this site, and any material I could find online. If I missed any vital information that should be obvious to me now, I apolgize.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo
So for recap, my settings are 3:15, 5:45, 1:00, 9:00.
That is pretty darn close to my settings. The only difference is on pot 3, I have mine set at 3:00. I was having an occasional stumble between 1st and 2nd gear shifts, and so was a friend of mine (DKdixie on here). He contacted Techlusion and the tech suggested turning pot 3 up to 3:00 and see if that would help/change the condition, then adjust up or down to optimize.. We both made this adjustment, and it took care of the problem. 3:00 works great on mine.
So my settings are 3:15, 5:40-45, 3:00, and 9:00

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I'm trying a totally different setup on my ride today. I've always ran near 3, 5, 9, 1. Going to be way different today based on conversations I've had with Mac and "theorizing" in my pea sized brain!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

BD pot 4 set at 1 will be off....... The TFI won't read. I am thinking the brain did one thing and the fingers did another.

SloMo Try running 87 octane. You shuld be able to just filler up and run it.

Octane ratings are based on compression ratio. These engine should be run on 87 octane based on that alone. The reasons why not is all due to EP regs and a super lean factory setting. You don't have these conditions anymore.

That left side filter is moot. You could seal that side air tight and nothing bad would happen.

Don't be wasting good money on parts that you can't see / float yer stick, and do nuthin.

Go do a smoke test and see. Nice still garage, run the bike light up a butt for smoke and see n early no air runs in from the left anymore. That will take about all of 60 seconds, so you won't die today in the gharage anyway.

Pot 1: Yeah man that's exactly how you do it. What surprises me is you didn't mention a very real need to drop the throttle plate black knob setting to get a lower over all idle RPM.

If you have ridden and feel as if down shifting is no long also engine braking, do lower that knob ASAP.

On my 01 and my 06 both times I had to street test for that very thing, and both times I almost had a runaway bike on my hands.

Of course knowing this was likey, I was ready for it, but still the runaway effect is slightly unsettling.

The first time was a little more of a surprise and I was a stranger in a strange land out in Cal.

The 2nd time at home in my NH the ride was still exiciting on the 1/2 mile dirt driveway

Here on this driveway I am limited to rear brake only.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #5

VulcanE, thanks. I'm glad to know my setting are at least close to someone elses.

Mac, It has raised my idle, but without a tach, I couldn't tell you how much. If I had to guess, it was probably 850-900 before, and now it is about 1000rpm maybe a little more. I may yet back it down, but no higher than it is, it didn't strike me as a big priority at the moment. Also, I haven't had to mess with the idle adjust knob before. I will have to figure it out I guess. lol. Will try 89 oct at next fillup, and go from there.

Engine braking is still effective, and I do hear ya on the dirt driveway. Mine is about 4-6" of fine sand from the drought. Braking isn't an option at all lest you build a sand pile in front of either tire and get stuck. lol. Cruisers don't make good dirt bikes.

As far as the other filter, I was kinda looking at it for symetry (spelling sucks lol), and a backup filter incase something happens to the right one. When I ordered two, I thought about this.... and I've paid as much in the past on bling that didn't really add any performance to the bike. lol. Thanks for your insight though. :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Oh Man around heya' I am the Typo King... Both times I was going from dead stock to the old solder on TFI, either dual or single Cad's, and V&H Baggers. The main difference is from dead stock. The black knob factory settting for the black knob, which is the throttle plate idle stop was open too much, with modded fuel.

I hope you got to ride the bike some plenty, stock, so you get to see the 10% more in theory you just got.

Often times I find folks don't spend any time as stock, and can't tell if they got better preformance or not.

Me I am one cheap SOB, and buy parts that will do what I want them to do. Since the K&N filters cost more and the left side is pretty much moot, I would leave the old paper filter there.

Of course with that said I lost the right side Spector cover while riding with the filter LOL. The cager behind me hooked the filter under his car and went off down the raod dragging it. The cover got trashed and went in the roadside weeds.

I was swapping out the left side parts when a cop asked if I needed any help. I stuffed a rag on the leftside cross over and told the cop I was well past any help he could offer, unless he planned to shoot me.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Mac I always type the last two pots backasswards.. It's an age thing!!

Anyway today I rode 150 miles two up in very warm weather up mountains and down meadows. I set the first pot at 4 and turned the second pot down to 3.

4 on the first pot sounds like it would be rich but I set it with the rpms very high near 3k and 4-4:30 was the highest rpm the engine would get to so I settled on 4.

Reasoning than now my motor should run substantially cooler I shouldnT need the accelerator pot "2" high at all since I wasn't needing a big squirt of full rolling on the throttle to keep the motor from pinging as it's running much cooler.

I averaged 40 mpg's even though highway speeds were at a GPS 75mph and I ran mid grade 89 fuel which I never do...

My experimenting seems to be working as when I get off the bike I can almost leave my hand on the motor it runs that much cooler.

I've noticed that leaner first pot settings )2:45-3) with the second pot at 5-6 doesn't give any better mileage but way more engine heat.

One day I was experimenting with the TFI on my tank with the rubber plug open and watched the lights working. The second pot flickers yellow almost all the time with any minute throttle movement. That made me think the a higher second pot was defeating the purpose of a lean first pot setting.

Now with the second pot near off and the first at 4 it gets as good or better mileage and runs cool. Not to mention very slow speeds and throttle smoothness that most Nomads don't seem to enjoy. at least mine never did. Now there's no lurching at parking lot speeds.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 07-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #8

That is interesting Brad, I might have to do a little tinkering............what you said makes a lot of sense.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

BD, bassakwards is my middle name. I think I am getting closer to being 33 again, but my wife says it's more like 14. Is that bad?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Well Mac, we was born neekid and feeble so that's how we will end up.

Member # 0005

Old 07-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

I dunno BD, 2 days ago I was accused of being 15 years younger than I am. If you ask me I think it's workin'

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Don't knock it!!! thats a good thing right??

Member # 0005

Old 07-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

I wasn't, but the look I got was that deer in the head lights look....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac