Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Loud Squealing Sound

Hi, New to KawaNow. I enjoy the info about the Nomad. This is really a great site. I have bought a new 2007 Nomad and only have about 600 miles on it. Ive had it back to the dealer but they are of little help. My question is- I have a loud squealing sound that I think is coming from the front end somewhere. It happens if I hit a hard bump in the road like going over some railroad tracks. It will last anywhere from 3-4 seconds to about 30-45 seconds. It will at times quit when I slow down and then it just suddenly stops. I have looked over the whole bike and nothing is loose or rattles. It does not do this every time you hit a hard bump either. Anybody have any suggestions or have had the same problem. Thanks for the help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #2

Loud Squealing Sound

Welcome to the board; You may have something caught in your front caliper, such as a pebble or peice of something. I would check them first. If its a rattle you have instead of a squeel, its most likely the wiring in the headlight bucket. Check these first and see if it solves the problem.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 PM   #3

Loud Squealing Sound

Welcome to the board Nomad1600. Seems like you got a stumper there, never heard of anything like it. Bike makes some strange sounds but that's a new one for me.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:23 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Loud Squealing Sound

Welcome...nice to have another NC member. Especially from Mt Pilot.

I agree with Ringadingh, check your front brakes. The only other possibility I can think of is your fan which could make that noise.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #5

Loud Squealing Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghost
Welcome...nice to have another NC member. Especially from Mt Pilot.

I agree with Ringadingh, check your front brakes. The only other possibility I can think of is your fan which could make that noise.
Welcome from TN. gree to check front brake caliper for debri.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #6

Loud Squealing Sound

I like gghost's suggestion of the fan. I think that would be more apt to make the sound he is hearing. But what the he11 do I know :-/
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #7

Loud Squealing Sound

Nomad1600, welcome from eastern Nebraska. Have you had the 600 mile service performed yet? I'd have the dealer check it very thoroughly. Tell em to take it for a ride.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Loud Squealing Sound

Welcome to the Nomad Nation from Phoenix, AZ!

One thing that comes to mind is a front wheel bearing. Heck, it's under warranty, make sure you tell the dealer about this when you get your 600 mile service done.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #9

Loud Squealing Sound

Welcome and congrats on the Nomad!!! No idea about the squeal though, sorry.
VBA #00671

Old 04-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #10

Loud Squealing Sound

Sounds to me like maybe a brake caliper may be sticking. After this happens (and you haven't used the brakes a while previous to the noise, so you know they were cool) feel the rotors and calipers. If they've dragged they will heat up and you'll be able to feel it. If this is the case, insist that the dealer address it most vigorously. If it's just the fan squeeling, that's not nearly as dangerous as brakes overheating and maybe boiling the fluid, but I would insist that the fan motor be replaced. If he just shoots some oil in the bearings and says it'll be fine, it'll just start squeeking again eventually.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Loud Squealing Sound

When I saw the subject posted I thought I've heard that noise before and it was coming from SWB and Nico's hotel room

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Loud Squealing Sound

Hi everybody. Thanks for all the great info. I have had the 600 miles maintenance done the dealer could find nothing wroung. The noise doesn't happen all the time I can ride the bike for several days and it's fine. I can take it out for a short ride and the first liile bump it starts squealing. Ive checked the brake pads. The wheel for rubbing on something. Ive check the fan and it spins freely. I have let the bike idele and waited till the fan comes on and it is just as quite and smooth as ever. It has made the noise in hot weather and cold. It was 28 the other morning and it squealed when I hit a bump after about 10 seconds it stopped and didn't make a sound for the next 10 miles then I cut the bike off. That afternoon it was 75+ outside rode 6 miles was mering into a lane on the interstate hit a bump and it started squealin. 2miles down the road it quit. Hasn't made the noise since. I have hit the brakes front and rear, accelerated, turned stood up and the only thing that seems might make it stop is to slow way down and then it just stops all of a sudden and it might not do it again for days and many miles. Well, I thank you for your help. It is great to have this site to go to for help. I look forward to talking to you again. Hello to all the NC people out there!!!!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Loud Squealing Sound

Welcome from southeast Tenn, check out the above post they are all good places to look. the fan may be problem as it comes and goes, but your dealer should take care of you on this. you may just have too insist.
ride safe.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #14

Loud Squealing Sound

Next time you hear that squealing slap your passenger. It will stop after awhile.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #15

Loud Squealing Sound

OK, that doesn't sound like the brakes if the sound doesn't change when you work them.

If you think it's the fan, you might rig a temporary switch on the circuit so when the noise starts you can switch the fan off and on manually. You could also remove the fan, hook it to a 12 volt battery, and shake it around while it's running to see if you can duplicate the sound.