Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #1

Controls installation

(2011 Nomad)
I'm rotating my OEM bars up a tad (I have long arms). I looked in the manual and I see a torque spec for the handlebar clamp bots, but I don't see one for the control screws. I surmise these are tightened to feel ?

Also what's the best tool for popping up the clamp bolt plugs ? An exacto knife ?

On my Harley it had a torque spec for the control screws. Once I just tightened them by hand (they are kinda dainty lookin aluminum) and they came loose with me while riding. Torqued um from them on.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
(2011 Nomad)
I'm rotating my OEM bars up a tad (I have long arms). I looked in the manual and I see a torque spec for the handlebar clamp bots, but I don't see one for the control screws. I surmise these are tightened to feel ?

Also what's the best tool for popping up the clamp bolt plugs ? An exacto knife ?

On my Harley it had a torque spec for the control screws. Once I just tightened them by hand (they are kinda dainty lookin aluminum) and they came loose with me while riding. Torqued um from them on.

I just always used the smallest flathead screwdriver I had to carefully remove the plugs, never had any problems. As far as the control screws I've always tightened them snugly by hand and never had one come loose yet. I don't kow if they give a torque setting for those or not since i don't have a shop manual for my vaquero.
I should add that when I say small flathead I'm talking small, not quite as small as a jewelers screwdriver but almost.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Last edited by tazfl; 08-04-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #3

You'll find things don't vibrate loose as much on the Nomad as they can on an HD. A little med grip lock tight always works well. Watch out removing the chrome plastic riser bolt covers as they scratch easily.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net