Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #1

Improving throttle response on the 1700's.

OK...I am finally have the time and am starting this thread to detail my mod to the 1700 Vulcans.

The 1700's utilize a fly-by-wire system where we are not directly connected to the butterfly plates in the throttle bodies.

In the first 1400 miles of owning my Vaquero i could tell there was a pretty obvious delay in the response of the engine vs. what my wrist was doing. In the break-in period i knew some of that was due to a tight engine, but once i got it over 1000 miles and started floggin it hard it loosened up even more, but the lag was still there. Being that i own and operate a performance m/c shop this lag was bothersome as on a daily basis we are making our customer skoots perform better, and this lag was just the opposite of what i wanted.

Having dealt with other fbw systems i knew that what the ecu was programmed to do is in many instances not what is best for performance. So when the skoot went up on the dyno for it's baseline runs and stage 1 of it's (many to come!) mods, one thing i was gonna document was this throttle lag.

I did a half throttle dyno run to document the performance at that throttle position. I then performed my modification to the throttle grip turning it into a "quick turn" throttle. That is, for every twist of the wrist there will be a correspondingly greater signal sent to the ecu, prompting it to open the butterflies quicker and further.

Upon start-up i could tell much better throttle response so that was promising. Performing the same 1/2 throttle dyno run the increase in performance was huge, more than i expected.

DYNO GRAPH...

Once the skoot was out on the road on it's first test ride the improvement was immediately noticed, as the same throttle input allowed for quicker acceleration. In normal riding i did not have to twist the throttle so aggressively to get the rate of acceleration that i wanted, and it was so nice to have almost instant acceleration from a standstill without having the cars behind me gettin too close.

A very simple mod that has made a huge improvement in an area of performance that was sorely needed. I have been working on skoots for 35 years and i still wonder why things like delaying performance is done, especially when a fix is made and the improvements are this good.

I am offering this mod to anyone seeking a perfomance improvement on the Vulcan 1700's ONLY, DOES NOT FIT the 2000. Any one interested can pm me for details.

Hope this clears up ANY and ALL concerns and provides the info to those who wiill benefit from it.

THANX
RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by RACNRAY; 05-25-2013 at 12:26 PM.