Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #1

Oil pressure gauge?

Could those of you that have installed one let me know where you got it and how the install went? I am thinking about putting one on my 2005 1600 nomad. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #2

Oil pressure gauge?

I havnt installed one yet, but am thinking about it. You should use an electric gauge for ease of installation, Gadgets website shows how to install the sending unit, its not that difficult to do at all.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Oil pressure gauge?

Just asking a question on the addition of an oil pressure gauge.
Would it be a peace of mind thing, knowing what the actual oil pressure is, or not having faith in the idiot light? (Or just cool having one?)

The reason I ask is, When I had my sandrail, I did have gauges and "idiot lights". I wanted to keep my eyes on where I was going and looking out for what may be a hazard. I would drive by the sound of the engine, not a tach. If there was an oil pressure problem, I was more likely to see that bright red light over glancing at a gauge. A dash full of gauges does look cool and will assist in testing, diagnosing, etc when in the garage. But how often do you actually look at the gauges in your car when you drive? Not much probably, but you would complain if you didn't have them.

I am in no way trying to stir a pot, just looking for people's reasons for using a gauge. Someone may give a reason that will get me to think about adding one.

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Oil pressure gauge?

I personally think its just a nicey thing to have but not really needed. i will spend my $$ elsewhere. :-)

Old 02-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #5

Oil pressure gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob
I am in no way trying to stir a pot, just looking for people's reasons for using a gauge. Someone may give a reason that will get me to think about adding one.
I've never considered an oil pressure gauge and you're right about a tach. I have one because I like the way they look. However, the one "gauge" that I do find essential and look at frequently is a LED voltmeter. When I see the green lights I know the juice is flowing and if it's not, I better do something quick or I'm heading for a dead battery. I consider this a good investment for $32.95 at Eastern Performance:

http://www.easternperformance.com/in...roducts_id=422

They have a sticky back and mount on any flat or nearly flat surface.

Patriot Guard
Kawanow #263 (November 2007)
262 Prior Posts

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #6

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Oil pressure gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercianbike
Quote:
I've never considered an oil pressure gauge and you're right about a tach. I have one because I like the way they look. However, the one "gauge" that I do find essential and look at frequently is a LED voltmeter. When I see the green lights I know the juice is flowing and if they're not, I better do something quick or I'm heading for a dead battery. I consider this a good investment for $32.95 at Eastern Performance:

That's the reason I'm going to get an oil gauge. It'll give you an indication that something ain't right I would think quicker than a light. Now it's all in what you're comfortable with. For me a voltmeter save me a lot of money, trouble and time when me and the family were on a trip. We were out 40 miles and the needle starts slowly indicating a dyeing alternator. So I took the car back home and got the other one.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Oil pressure gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercianbike
Quote:
I've never considered an oil pressure gauge and you're right about a tach. I have one because I like the way they look. However, the one "gauge" that I do find essential and look at frequently is a LED voltmeter. When I see the green lights I know the juice is flowing and if it's not, I better do something quick or I'm heading for a dead battery. I consider this a good investment for $32.95 at Eastern Performance:

What type of tach? Do you have a link?

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #8

Oil pressure gauge?

I have a tach on my bike. Look at it all the time. It is easyier to see than the speedometer. ( up higher so don't need to look down away from where I'm going as much)
I have guages in my truck also. It is easier to keep track of than idiot lights. By the time the lights come on you already have a big problem. The guages warn me in advance if something is amiss.
To answer your question ,I watch them quite often in my truck.
This is just my opinion, your opinion may vary
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #9

Oil pressure gauge?

This is waaayyy out there, and may never happen, but, What I would love to see on a bike would be a HUD. I had a Grand Prix with the HUD and absolutely loved it. Never took my eyes off the road and could monitor all functions fast and easy. Had total control of the device. I could turn it off or dim or bright or raise or lower. To me, this makes perfect sense on a bike. Once you get used to using it it's easy to look right through it. I know that if I get the chance in the future I won't hesitate to order it for any vehicle I own.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Oil pressure gauge?

With a idiot light for oil, when it comes on and stays on it is too late.. With a lower oil level the hydralic lifter should be somewhat starved and then you would hear it and feel it sooner than later..

The best way to not be starved for oil is to check it every day before you ride..

For those with a plastic oil gear a good gauge is essential. I am not certain which years, the only year i am certain of is 1999, but I think some 2000's had them.

If you have one, I would get it swapped for one of Judges if he is still making them. Gadjet has all of that..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #11

Oil pressure gauge?

What type of tach? Do you have a link?[/quote]

Sorry for the delay in answering. I bought my tach off eBay about three years ago. Do a search for "Bullet Tachometer". I just checked and there are some listed. Mine only has a white light background. Seems the newer ones let you choose up to seven colors. Be sure to get one for a one inch handlebar.

There are also vendors such as:

http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/category/24/

Do a Google search for "Baron Tachometers".
Patriot Guard
262 Prior Posts

Old 03-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Oil pressure gauge?

Pretty pic of that river there and the bike.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #13

Oil pressure gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
Pretty pic of that river there and the bike.
Thanks Doc. I really enjoy the bike and the countryside in Northern Virginia and across the border in West Virginia. But now I have to research oil pressure gauges.
Patriot Guard
262 Prior Posts