Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #1

Packing for two-up camping

I have camped on my previous bikes as a solo rider and always used the pillion for one of the bags. This summer, I want to do some motorcycle camping two-up with the Nomad. I have a luggage rack, and am thinking of buying a Kuryakyn ultra tour bag to add to the packing space of the saddlebags.

Will the luggage rack support those large types of bags? The weight limit seems so conservative...

Thought I would ask if anyone has any tips or recommendations for packing the gear when two-up. Long term, we want a trailer but for 2015 we will have to do without. Can't do a tour pak this year either.

Thanks in advance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #2

See if this link works. There is a picture of my bike ready for two up riding and I have had the same load with my trailer behind the bike to go camping.
Zoom45

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14461

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 01-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #3

I do quite a bit of 2-up camping, usually for the weekend, but sometimes longer. I give my girl one of the saddlebags and take one for myself. We both have to leave some room for things like sheets, air pump, liquor, other assorted things. I do have some bag liners, and that makes the packing much easier and more organized. I then take my tent, sleeping bag, air mattress (both of those rolled long and skinny and in dry bags), and a chair or two (depending on which sleeping bag), and put adjustable straps around them to create a single unit. That unit is attached to my sissy bar/luggage rack with ratchet straps. We always have everything we need, and I have never had any problems keeping the bike nice and balanced and the gear in place. And we aren't exactly roughing it with a queen size air mattress and a tent that is 16'x7'...
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #4

My wife and I camped going across the country (Lansing to Seattle) on our 06 Nomad with this bag on the luggage rack:

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Lug...y-Bar-Bags/SB1

I tied the tent on top instead of the second duffel bag. You can see the tent in the picture of my ST1300 from another trip. Small, but quite serviceable. Stored the sleeping bags in one of the saddlebags. We had a great trip with sufficient, but not excess storage space.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Last edited by dank; 01-21-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

You may want to look at a Road Ready Sissy Bar Bag. They fit over the passenger backrest and can be used with or without a luggage rack. I had one for my 1600 and really liked it. Good quality and great people to deal with.

www.roadreadybags.com/

Joe "Griz" Grisolano
2008 Arctic Pearl Honda Goldwing
2008 Black/Red Nomad - Traded September, 2013
VBA #1210
Pittsburg, Kansas

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
I do quite a bit of 2-up camping, usually for the weekend, but sometimes longer. I give my girl one of the saddlebags and take one for myself. We both have to leave some room for things like sheets, air pump, liquor, other assorted things. I do have some bag liners, and that makes the packing much easier and more organized. I then take my tent, sleeping bag, air mattress (both of those rolled long and skinny and in dry bags), and a chair or two (depending on which sleeping bag), and put adjustable straps around them to create a single unit. That unit is attached to my sissy bar/luggage rack with ratchet straps. We always have everything we need, and I have never had any problems keeping the bike nice and balanced and the gear in place. And we aren't exactly roughing it with a queen size air mattress and a tent that is 16'x7'...
I would love to see a pic of that bike loaded for a trip if you have one
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #7

Thanks for the ideas. As I said, I think for this year I will pick up a largish sissy bar bag. A Saddlemen BR3400 is about 55 litres which seems like a lot of room in addition to the saddle bags. I want to be able to use the raincover since it always seems to rain on my trips, so I thought I would fit the tent in the bag and make a tube from ABS pipe for the poles that would attach under the luggage rack to to the outside of the bag.

It's fun to spend these cold, dark evenings planning for the warmer days of summer.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #8

We have and have used the T-Bag route 66 bag with the round bag that mounts on top via the netting. It's a solid set up and holds a lot of stuff. Then when set up and just traveling around the campsite area, I can remove the larger bag and install the smaller one for additional space. When the whole thing is put together, it looks like a giant backpack with a large bed roll on top.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #9

Here's my setup. Easy to pull and carriers everything I need and then some.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 01-22-2015, 05:32 AM   #10

A buddy back in NC had so much stuff strapped to his Nomad one trip, that he looked like the Beverly Hillbillies REO.

Another couple I know from Myrtle Beach packed so much stuff on their Harley that they couldn't ride it. It bottomed out the rear shocks, and took too much weight of the front end.

Be careful not to overload your bike.

MT
VBA 936

Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
You may want to look at a Road Ready Sissy Bar Bag. They fit over the passenger backrest and can be used with or without a luggage rack. I had one for my 1600 and really liked it. Good quality and great people to deal with.

www.roadreadybags.com/
+ 1

Old 01-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #12

one thing I have found very helpful is buy the space saver bags the you can roll the air out of. they allowed us to get a lot more clothes per bag saving a lot of space. we ordered off of amazon the key is making sure you get the ones that don't require a vacuum.
also a great way to keep clean and dirty clothes separate.

Last edited by gssbmm; 01-26-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added info

Old 01-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I would love to see a pic of that bike loaded for a trip if you have one
Unfortunately I don't think I do. never been much of a shutterbug. I just got my first smart phone a couple months ago, and run season is almost here, so i bet i could get some soon. Planning a little weekend ride to Louisiana the second weekend of next month.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 01-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #14

The Kury Ultra GranTour will work fine - here's a shot of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kury Ultra GranTour.jpg (26.8 KB, 87 views)