Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2016, 09:10 PM   #1

Irate 1700 Voyager engine cutting out

I recently had my '09 Voyager reflashed by Ivan, and the machine ran like a different bike for several hundred miles.

However, (and this is probably not an ECU problem) on the way back home from a rally in Wisconsin, the bike started to "cut out" by this I mean that the engine momentarily stops then restarts, like a car engine does that has a bad ignition system. At first, I thought it was bad gas, but several new tanks of fuel later, and several thousand more miles on the odo, it still does it. It seems to cut out when I accelerate under load, like from a stop. I can control the cutting out by slowly accelerating thru the gears, then setting the speed control. FUNNY THING IS, WHEN I COME TO A HILL, AND THE SPEED CONTROL CALLS FOR MORE GAS, IT DOES NOT CUT OUT!

I have spoken to Ivan, he can't think of anything in the reflash that would cause this condition, and I have to agree, simply because the bike ran perfectly for 2500 miles on the way to Wisconsin, and just started doing this on the way back home. This condition has also had a very detrimental effect on my gas mileage too. (about 5 MPG average). I think this is because raw gas is just going out the tail pipe.

Anyone have any ideas?

A word about the bike: It has been a trike since 2011 (Champion trike)
The bike has about 28,000 miloes on it.
It is a 2009 Voyager 1700 ABS

hank43

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by hank43; 09-04-2016 at 09:13 PM.