Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #1

Question Height change in handle bars - FMB?

Greetings,

For a winter project, want to add some mini ape's. FMB's look promising.

So here is the question for those with different bars. How much higher are your after market bars compared to stock? I would like for the grips to be about where the mirrors are on stock bars. The stock bars measure 33" from the inside edge of the floor board to the top of the grip at the housing. The top of the mirror would be 40" on stock bars from the inside edge of the floor boards.
When I look at the listed dimensions of the stock bars and compare them to the FMB Menacing Monkey's dimensions, the measurements appear very similar.

The rub is, pictures of Vaqueros with FMB bars look like they are taller (higher). Is that so? Is it an optical illusion?

Would someone with after market bars mind measuring from the inside edge of the floor board to the top of the grip for comparisons sake? I measure from where the front part of the floor board bracket goes under the floor board. There is an exposed aluminum section there where the "sole arch" of a boot might rest. From there, straight up to the bars. Bike level as possible and bars straight as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by smokier; 09-02-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #2

FMB Mini Apes

I put a set of these on my 2015 Vaquero. With some modifications they do fit.I had an 9" Klockwerks shield and that was an issue with clearance.I had to adjust the bars down quite far to miss the shield and in the end I dont think I really gained much height at all.I myself would prefer more pullback and height.I am also not very fond of how the bars drop down a lot at the grip area which also takes away from the height of the bars.
This winter project for me is to talk to my local dealer about changing them out for something more to my liking.