Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Thumbs Up Original owners.

Hi all. We bought our 2005 Nomad new in 2005 and still have it. Thought of replacing it a few times, but its been paid for and just cant bear to let it go.
Only replaced tires and normal service.
Had an exhaust heat shield rattle when new and was replaced under warranty.
Changed battery once.
All in all, it's been a good bike and the wife and I still enjoy it.

Be careful out there.

Don & Donna
1965 Pontiac GTO, 389 4 Speed. Bluemist Slate
Cruising the back roads, that is living!
Member #000033.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2015, 02:51 AM   #2

I know what you mean, I too bought my 1600 Nomad in 2005, cant believe it was that long ago, really doesnt seem 10 years has passed. I have done routine maintenance, a battery and tyres, thats all. I have however spent a lot on "extras" and the bike is far different than the bike I rode away from the dealership. Most noticeable is the Harley batwing fairing and the large Harley trunk. I still love the bike as much as I first did and although my eyes have strayed (we all still look around) I have no plans to change, apart from loving the bike I have too much invested in her now. I have a fairly short riding season here in the UK, summers pass quickly and the bike lives in the garage through the winter months. I have a second bike, a Kaw Versys 650, which is my "all weather" bike and this extends my riding period each side of summer. I am not so concerned with getting the 650 wet and dirty, much easier to clean and keep nice. My latest accessory, a Dash-Cam, recording all my riding, mainly for "accident" purposes. I have mounts on both bikes and car so can move it from one to another, its a great and inexpensive addition. I have toured with my wife pillion in various parts of the world on rental bikes, but have done some trips around Europe on the Nomad. I live on the south coast and its a short Ferry ride to France and Spain for some great riding with B+B accomodation.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:12 AM   #3

I sold my 73 Harley XLCH a year or so back to a Japanese guy for more then I paid for it in 73. He lived in California but gave me 8K for the bike because it was in mint condition with original miles at 7900 on it. I bought it brand new and just never rode it much because the kick starting would play hell on my right knee. If it kicked back on you it either hurt your knee or almost threw you over the handle bars because it had so much compression. If it backfired on you in a kick you thought a mule kicked you in the knee so therefore I rode it sparingly. I had it back fire one time while kicking it with my left leg and it threw my leg back up with so much force into my ribs that it broke two of them when it happened. The buyer said he would ship it to his business in Japan and sell it for 10 times what he paid me for it. They have a real big craving for the old Harleys in Japan.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:47 AM   #4

Still love my 2005 and with just over 20,000 miles she should still have plenty of life!

Rallies: Kalispell 2010, Crescent City 2011, Canmore 2012, Estes Park 2013

Old 06-14-2015, 07:54 AM   #5

I've had my '05 for 10 years and 4 months now, and still loving it. Kept up with maintenance, on my 3rd battery, and have had no big issues, still on the original clutch spring.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #6

My '05 Nomad was originally my dad's bike. He traded an '02 Valkyrie for it. Rode it home off of the showroom floor. A few years later, I got the bike as a birthday present. While he had it, I think I put more miles on it than he did (knee and back issues). The only work that's been done to it: normal oil changes, brake/clutch fluid flush, replace kickstand bolt, tires. The bike has about 38k miles on it and runs like a champ. My eyes stay on occasion, mainly because I'd like to have an Orange Vaquero, but I keep with my trusty Nomad. It's been a bullet-proof bike that is comfortable and reliable.

Oh yea... I do need new bags for it... at least a left bag. Had one fall off going down the highway at 70 mph and it got trashed by several cars behind me. Still trying to find a set for a decent price.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 06-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
Advanced Member

I had a 2004 1500 Vulcan classic for 11 years before I decided to sell her and get the 2014 Vaquero. I loved that 1500 as she never let me down and went on some nice road trips. I have to say though it was time. I love my Vaq.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it - people like me".
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #9

You know, when you buy a bike, there is always doubt. I bought a '05 Harley Dyna from neighbor for 5K. That let a poor guy have a Harley. I beat the crap out of that bike for 5K mi., then traded it for a '05 Road King. The rear wheel went out (spoked), it needed valve stem seals, new tires, three pour oil changes. All on warranty. Now I have to do the cam chain tensioner repair for 1200 total cost. Then I saw this 07 Nomad at the H. Dealer and watched it for 2 months. No bites. Thanks to this site and other research, I think this is one of the best machines on the planet. Don't know yet if I'm keeping the H. or selling it. All I know is, I sure enjoy riding that Nomad.
Harley Bagger Muffs
Christian Motorcycle Rider

Old 06-23-2015, 05:43 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

I bought mine new on April 28th, 2001. I love how it makes me feel so special !

I wonder if people with other brands feel great about there rides after 14 years?
Or maybe I should be updating every 3 years.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]