Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #1

Voyager ?

I need to view the drive belt , belt has a ware mark on the back side like something got in there at one point . so I need to expose the rear trans pulley just to verify something isn't wrong or a foreign object stuck in the belt guide . I know I need to remove the outer and inner covers , no big deal but I also have to remove the slave cylinder for the clutch or so the Service Manual states.....for those that have done this ,is there anything I need to look out for removing the slave cylinder ? any advice on this is appreciated. I did take a red paint stick and spin the rear tire holding the paint stick into the ware mark , it doesn't appear anything is contacting at this time but I want to be sure .

I also get a strange buzzing vibration from the rear wheel most heard on the brake side . If I just touch the brake pedal the noise goes away . or if I weave the bike side to side it will stop and start again . I can hear it at 2000rpm but it only appears at that rpm range . I'm think possible brake caliper ....so as much as I hate to I am going to remove the bags and remove the caliper from the bike and ride around the block to see if the noise goes away . I have spun the rear tire on the lift and checked for play in the rear wheel and cant feel or hear anything , but want to rule out a wheel bearing . I've already checked the rear turn signal assembly and tried to snug up the chrome around the tour pack , I've also cleaned the caliper and replaced the pads as well as applied a anti vibration compound to the pad back .... Ive knocked on the exhausts with my hand ....I would think a bad wheel bearing would sound bad all the time and get worse as speed increases ...... or maybe the ware mark on the drive belt and this noise go hand and hand
PCV

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #2

I get a "WWRRing, buzzy whistle" from both my bikes and I believe its the cooling holes/slots in the rotors that cause this. I only get it from the front of the 800, drum rear brake. Slight pressure on the brake handle or pedal changes the intencity or eliminates it completely. This may be the buzzing you hear. This is normal.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #3

well I have issue #2 figured out . not sure what the cure is but its not the wheel bearing or anything ...I pulled the right saddle bag , and removed the brake caliper . Put a plastic bag over the brake line and secured it to keep it out of the wheel ..... when for a ride .... dead silent ..not a sound ... So at this point I know its not the pads rattling around as I had them basically glued into the caliper with permatex anti rattle compound . so I removed the copper plates from the calper and clean it and the caliper very well .....as well as tweaked the copper plate to afford more secure fit ..... I also got most everything torn down to view the drive belt trans pulley on the back of the trans....but stopped , wanted to re read the service manual again on that and tomorrows another day .....the red paint line I put on the belt yesterday was still intact after my test ride so don't believe I will find anything ....but still want to check and put a eye ball on the belt guide and check for damage .
PCV

Old 06-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #4

All issues cured....and I removed the 4" risers and routed all cables correctly.....1 bad thing about buying a used bike is correcting the previous owners jack hole wrenchin g jobs......the stock risers feel much better and the bike handles better ......at one point something did get sucked into the drive belt.....but it's all fixed now as well.......tired of wrenching time to ride
PCV

Old 06-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Advanced Member

There ya go Ipack....I had confidence in you to get the "bugs" out....NOW RIDE WHILE SUMMER IS HERE!
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
There ya go Ipack....I had confidence in you to get the "bugs" out....NOW RIDE WHILE SUMMER IS HERE!

I knew I would get it ...I just work a lot . I cant leave anything alone , I have to know everything is right and know where the maintenance is ....Now that damn dent in the tank is gonna drive me nuts all summer ...wish I knew how it happened but $hit happens , just one more thing to fix .
PCV