Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Not a Nomad

Didn't see a general area for posts. Although it's not a Nomad, she'll be riding with one. Not sure that counts. My SO picked up her first motorcycle. She's excited. I'm running the gamut. Fired up that she's taking an interest. Nervous as the proverbial long tail cat.

Got an o.k. deal on the bike. It's a 2006 with 6,000 miles on it and we paid $3000. I've seen better deals for the same bike in other parts of the country, but bikes really seem to hold their value here in Arizona for some reason.

She's tiny (a little under 5') and 110 lbs. so I'm going to drop the rear 2-4 inches to help her sit flat footed.

She's signing up for Ridesmart school and of course I'll work with her extensively in an unoccupied parking lot here by the house. Our plan is to pick an RV park out in the country, trailer both bikes behind the motorhome, and ride from there using it as a basecamp. Don't want her riding in town. Too many crazys out there.

Anyway. Here we goooooooo!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #2

Good deal.
My wife bought a Honda Spirit 750 a couple years ago and took the rider course. That course is well worth the money.
She rode the 750 for a little over a year and traded it for a 900 LT.
She can now ride circles around me.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Is that a Yammi 250 ? I showed one to my wife and a Rebel, but she just prefers to be a pillion.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #4

That is a v-star 650. I had an 02. Great for beginners and the bike is bullet proof. She will outgrow it in a couple of years.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Yupper 650 Vstar. She would've liked to get an HD sportster, but I kinda talked her out of it. I figured her just learning and all it would be better to drop a $3000 bike than a $6000 bike (or whatever they're getting for the HDs). It'll still break her/my heart if it happens, but to a lesser degree. In addition I'm the mechanic and prefer to work on the rice. I've had buddies with sportsters and they shook themselves apart in short order.

The Yammy's a good little runner. Kinda pipey and buzzy but not terribly. Tends to shift best when the rpm are up especially with my 220 lbs on board. I think it'll work out pretty good for her.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by danimal2; 09-30-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Advanced Member

I had a 650 Classic and it's a nice bike.One trouble point is the oil filter location.If you do your own oil changes be very careful reinstalling the four screws on the oil filter cover.They strip very easy.About one halve turn past finger tight.This is the inner cover,not the outer case cover.Very important to keep the drive shaft spines greased also.There have been more than average drive shaft failures with the 650.Everything else is bullet proof.I'm sure she will enjoy it.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

If you make that seat a little more narrower, that will help her reach the ground as well.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #8

Nice looking ride. Hope she enjoys riding it.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Thanks fellas. Appreciate the input on the oil filter deal. Tomorrow I'm changing oil, cleaning air filter, changing gear lube, doing the lowering kit etc. etc. I'll be sure to take it easy on those screws and grease the driveshaft.

I'm thinking about shaving the foam down some on the seat. Hadn't considered narrowing, but not out of the question for sure.

Took her up to an empty parking lot. Just got back. No cars, lit, gated on one end, and turned her loose. She did real well. Of course there were the obligatory engine snubbings whilest discovering the friction point of the clutch, but over all..........she did great and looked good doing it.

Ticked I didn't take a camera along. Next time.

Last edited by danimal2; 09-30-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #10

That looks like a great deal on that bike, you couldn't get one here like that for that price.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #11

Good buy. I had the exact same bike, same year, same color. Never had an issue with the spline, but I was aware that they are a weak point.
The only other thing is the seat. It was very uncomfortable worse, than most stock seats. I found myself standing up at stoplights just to get some circulation back.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 09-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Good buy. I had the exact same bike, same year, same color. Never had an issue with the spline, but I was aware that they are a weak point.
The only other thing is the seat. It was very uncomfortable worse, than most stock seats. I found myself standing up at stoplights just to get some circulation back.
I'm with ya on the seat. It's an odd ball and doesn't really look like it goes on the bike. Might have to see if I can find something a little more confortable for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
That looks like a great deal on that bike, you couldn't get one here like that for that price.
I had a buddy from Red Deer Alberta come down on a plane a couple years back. He stayed here at the house, soaked up a week's worth of night life then went home with a nice newer/used Ford Excursion and a 34' boat with twin stern drives and 454 big block chevys. Taking adavantage of those lower prices.........

Last edited by danimal2; 09-30-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #13

Congrats on getting her off the pillion and onto her own set of wheels! And even better if it is her choice. My wife is on her third bike, a Vulcan 900. She started with a 500, then a Shadow Aero, and over the past 7 years, she has put over 50,000 miles on two wheels. I consider her my best riding partner. Hope it works that way for you two!

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad

Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
Congrats on getting her off the pillion and onto her own set of wheels! And even better if it is her choice. My wife is on her third bike, a Vulcan 900. She started with a 500, then a Shadow Aero, and over the past 7 years, she has put over 50,000 miles on two wheels. I consider her my best riding partner. Hope it works that way for you two!

Thanks
Yep entirely her choice. I was fine with her riding on back. We do everything else together so this will just be another thing. I could've gone either way, but am real happy she wanted to do this.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #15

Great starter bike. Easy to handle and low center of gravity. Add crash bars, then go to a home improvement center and get some foam pipe insulation to put around the bars with tape/zip ties, etc. Then let her go practice in the parking lot. I still do that from time to time after watching Jerry Paladino vids. :-)