Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Paint Protection Film

Hi All,

Has anyone used the 3M Paint Protection Film to protect there tanks? I have a 08 Nomad and was thinking about something like this http://www.thetankslapper.biz/

Thanks
Bill

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #2

Paint Protection Film

The ad says " almost completely invisible."
I'd have to see it in person before I bought it.

OH yeah, Welcome to the site.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #3

Paint Protection Film

The ones I have seen are noticeable, they have a slightly cloudy look to them, maybe that brand is improved over the ones I have seen.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #4

Paint Protection Film

This product has been used in the auto industry for years. You can find certain auto and truck-models where they have used this near fenders and running-boards for rock-chip protection.

No, it is not invisible but it doesn't come "out of the box" completely cloudy either.

I have seen this on street bikes more than cruisers and it didn't look too bad. These guys are constantly leaning on their tanks -- so I can see why they might be concerned.

I suppose if you are worried about the resale value of your bike, then protecting the paint would be something you might consider.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #5

Paint Protection Film

Thanks for the link. My concern has been under the front of the seat where the seat is rubbing on the end of the tank. I have marks and scratches already and only have a little over 2K on the bike. This looks like it would work well for protecting this area. I wonder how easy it would be to remove or how well it will hold up to abrasion. I know, who cares or can see this area? I do every time I wash the bike and it bothers me. Did I hear anal? Why Yes, I do resemble that remark!

While I'm at it, anyone have an opium on the quality of the factory paint. It seems a little brittle to me. My paint chips at the slightest provocation. Just wondering?????

Happy Winter to all the SnowMads!
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #6

Paint Protection Film

I had the 3M paint prtection on the front of my truck. I worked really well. No yellowing. In my opinion i would go with the 3M.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #7

Paint Protection Film

I would absolutely recommend the product for our front fenders, front of hard bags, and edges of the tank. I have the product on my car and just love it. You wouldn't know it was on the hood, side mirrors, lower bumper area, unless you looked for the edge. Nice thing about the product is that when it starts to get rock chips in it, you can remove and reapply with a new piece. When I get my front fender repainted , I will apply the product for sure.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #8

Paint Protection Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by James "Bubba" Andreu
Thanks for the link. My concern has been under the front of the seat where the seat is rubbing on the end of the tank. I have marks and scratches already and only have a little over 2K on the bike. This looks like it would work well for protecting this area. I wonder how easy it would be to remove or how well it will hold up to abrasion. I know, who cares or can see this area? I do every time I wash the bike and it bothers me. Did I hear anal? Why Yes, I do resemble that remark!

While I'm at it, anyone have an opium on the quality of the factory paint. It seems a little brittle to me. My paint chips at the slightest provocation. Just wondering?????

I agree with you! I think you could chip the Nomads paint just by staring at it hard. My Nomad is 2 1/2 years old and has 43,000 miles on it and it needs a new paint job.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Paint Protection Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsid1
I had the 3M paint prtection on the front of my truck. I worked really well. No yellowing. In my opinion i would go with the 3M.
same here on my van and I put it on the front of the hardbags, I have some left and on the side of the tank is a good idea, just have to wait till spring.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Paint Protection Film

Nice just what I am looking for...
I had a post in the forum referencing the area just under the front of the drivers seat whereas it "wears" on the finish...
Thanks

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Old 01-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Paint Protection Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by James "Bubba" Andreu

You been tryin' ta' smoke that paint? man that's sum hard up if you ask me, but then I didn't know there was any opium in that paint...

Just kidding, I know that's a typo, but I couldn't help myself..

3-M is as good as it gets in my opium, and for under the seat it should be nice.. before you install it polish and buff out any flaws...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Paint Protection Film

Brian and I both have a piece on our front fenders where the fork bag hits the fender. It us barely noticeable and has been on for 6 years with no peeling or yellowing.