Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #16

Update:

Bike back together. Grounds isolated and in a heavy duty connector. Haven't rode yet but ran the bike in the garage with all accessories going including the Kuryakyn RTB controller. Grounds stayed cool and speedo sat on Zero. All dash lamps and signals worked as well as the needle sweep when first turning on the key. Uhhhhhh....turned it off pretty quick when I realized that I had not connected the fuel line D'oh!!
Got a birthday party today so had to quit. Hopefully my problem is solved.
BTW Mac, the ECU is supposed to look that way. Guessing that the stuff under the gel is some sort of heat sink or something. Looked online and they all look that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (42.7 KB, 20 views)
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Kybenz; 08-25-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #17

Pissed

I am leaning towards the orange connector as being THE CULPRIT. Same thing as a loose connection on an electrical outlet, just keeps arcing until it overheats and burns. Typically a short will run the length of a wire and blow a fuse. None of that happened.The only burnt area was right there at the connector. And ALL of my accessories are fused and relay switched, wired directly to the battery via their own independent power supply. Nothing jumpers through my bikes harness. So if it is a short there is no sign of it anywhere and believe me I looked, headlight out, tank off, seats off, ECU out. No signs of chafing or arcing anywhere. Also took off the lower left chrome cover and checked all those connections, a couple had very slight oxidation, cleaned them all up and reassembled with dielectric compound.
Time will tell. Still would like to hear if any others on here have inspected their connector. If there is any sign of burning I would yank that puppy outta there and make a better junction. I think that this is not a matter of if ,but when, and in my case on Interstate 75 heading into downtown Cincinnati on a 90+ degree day was not the most opportune time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010171.jpg (94.6 KB, 21 views)
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Last edited by Kybenz; 08-25-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Where is it? I sort of doubt there is arcing. This is more like a high resistance connection. Current can't pass or flow well and gets hot trying too. Like a electric stove, but this isn't made to do that and so it can't take the heat.

Reading across the connector you should get 0.00 volts and nothing else. If you get anything else there is a resistance.

Don't be shooting gas all over the place either....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Don't be shooting gas all over the place either....
You heard that?? Excuse me.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #20

Mac, By where is it I assume you mean the connector. On mine it is in the battery well, under the seat, towards the front of the bike under the just behind the tank. Where the harness comes into that area. It is wrapped in tape. And yes, you are right, it is not an arcing problem but more a high resistance issue in the loose connector that I feel just became a runaway problem from the vibration of riding and heat buildup.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Thanks..... it would have to be located there..... I just hate pulling the battery out. The 1600's have the World's All time Worst Piss Poor Battery Box.

Nothing like the 1500's. I have a dog collar on my battery but i still just hate the way that battery box is set up.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Thanks..... it would have to be located there..... I just hate pulling the battery out. The 1600's have the World's All time Worst Piss Poor Battery Box.

Nothing like the 1500's. I have a dog collar on my battery but i still just hate the way that battery box is set up.
If it's like mine you should be able to get to it just by removing the seat.
Comes off the junction where the harness comes through the frame in to the battery box.If you look at my pics closely you can see that the battery(See Non spillable sticker) was still installed when I found the connector. you can also see the fuel tank bolt with the flexible wire holder on the left side rear of the tank. Look for a taped up rectangle. Don't let the white connector at the base fool you, that is a separate harness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(2).jpg (45.5 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Kybenz; 08-26-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #23
Sr. Contributor

It's probably the fact the orange is taped up so I haven't seen it. For the first 3 or 4 years i pulled the battery out in winter, leaving it in the basement on a charger. Now i just put the bike in a enclosed trailer with the charger and bring in the seats. Vinyls don't like NH cold, which pulls the stitching.

My 06 is like the 05's so I will have a look at that connector before very long.

While I may know some How To and be able to tell it to some people, I am not a mind reader. If what ever doesn't break on my bike i don't know about it.

When it breaks on 2 guys bikes in a week, and my bike has one, I want to check in about it. I learn as much as I get to help, or try to get to help.

Besides Jared dropped my crystal ball

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #24

Quote:
It's probably the fact the orange is taped up so I haven't seen it. For the first 3 or 4 years i pulled the battery out in winter, leaving it in the basement on a charger. Now i just put the bike in a enclosed trailer with the charger and bring in the seats. Vinyls don't like NH cold, which pulls the stitching.

My 06 is like the 05's so I will have a look at that connector before very long.

While I may know some How To and be able to tell it to some people, I am not a mind reader. If what ever doesn't break on my bike i don't know about it.

When it breaks on 2 guys bikes in a week, and my bike has one, I want to check in about it. I learn as much as I get to help, or try to get to help.

Besides Jared dropped my crystal ball
Yep, I, like you, learn by doing and or reading the trials and tribulations of others. Also, like you, I like people who get to the point and give you the neccesary facts. You, my interweb friend, are a true asset to this board and I always enjoy reading your helpful and sometimes witty replies to all who come seeking answers. Just thought I would do my part to hopefully keep a fellow traveler from having this happen to them. I do find it funny that it happened to two 2005 1600 Classics in a matter of weeks. I would venture to say that this problem is lurking under more than a few riders butts. Would love to hear from others who take the time to pull their seat and untape the connector. Wish I had looked at mine after reading Irishguys post. I PM'd him to see what his final results were but have not heard back, I hope it's cause he's busy riding. Thanks again for your and others contribution to this forum. I don't post a lot but I read daily. Great cast of characters here.