Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #1

Anyway to go with a Keyless Gas Cap?

Hi, I completed Gadgets tutorial on the hard bags so now I can open them without the key. Has anyone figured out a way to open the gas cap without using a key? I really don't need/want to use a key each time I open the gas cap. Thanks for any suggestions, Jody

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Not that I am aware of... All I can think of is to 'waste' a key, inserting it, then cutting ot off 1/4 inch high, and creating a knob of somesort to suit your taste. A small dob of clear shoe goo on the knob to keep it there, but none down the lock.

Over all I think this is a poor idea, as i do with the bags latches. Getting too sloppy for mere convience isn't going to end up the best idea.

A locked bag closed properly stands little to no chance of popping open, One that isn't locked stands a far higher chance.

Not to mention you lost the security from some theft and illegal search and seizure.

In the other had do what suits you. I carry one key and have another not easy to get hidden on the bike.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

You'd still have to have some way to release/secure the latch mechanism inside. It's not like the cap screws on.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #4

I can still lock my bags...If I choose...I have lived without locking my bags now for about 40 years with no mishaps. The only time I lock the bags is when I'm in a populated area which is far and few in South Dakota.lol...Since my tank is only 4.2 gallons, it seems like I'm always reaching down for the key to unlock the cap...Somebody, somewhere who is alot smarter than me must have figured it out...Thanks for the replies, Jody
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Not that I am aware of... All I can think of is to 'waste' a key, inserting it, then cutting ot off 1/4 inch high, and creating a knob of somesort to suit your taste. A small dob of clear shoe goo on the knob to keep it there, but none down the lock.

Over all I think this is a poor idea, as i do with the bags latches. Getting too sloppy for mere convience isn't going to end up the best idea.

A locked bag closed properly stands little to no chance of popping open, One that isn't locked stands a far higher chance.

Not to mention you lost the security from some theft and illegal search and seizure.

In the other had do what suits you. I carry one key and have another not easy to get hidden on the bike.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #5

I'd do as macmac suggested. Get a cheap key cut at a key shop, grind it down, epoxy glue or solder a chrome drawer pull knob or something plastic like a color matching dice on it and leave it in the cap. If you feel the need for a more secure fuel filler can then pull it out and stick it in a saddle bag. If memory serves me right, I think the Nomad is the first bike I've had with a locking cap. I may do this myself, thanks for the idea.
VBA #656
Black 2007 1600 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #6

Yes, I think Mac has the right idea

Old 04-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #7

I don't think it is a good idea at all....If you leave a cut off key with a handle on it in your gas tank cap for convienance.....Can't someone (a thief) just take the key out of your gas cap and into your ignition...then start it up......and ride off with your bike????

Old 04-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #8

I don't think that would be a problem because when you cut a key for the gas cap, you would have to cut off more because it doesn't go in very far to trip the lever on the gas cap. If I were to take it out of the gas cap and try to start the bike, it would be to short, therefore it wouldn't go in all the way...At least on my bike when I measured it that's how it came out...I appreciate your reply though, Jody
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFUGIO
I don't think it is a good idea at all....If you leave a cut off key with a handle on it in your gas tank cap for convienance.....Can't someone (a thief) just take the key out of your gas cap and into your ignition...then start it up......and ride off with your bike????

Old 04-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #9

Yes that is a possibility. Hence the remove it when you feel the need advice. If I leave my ride where I can't see it I always lock the ignition switch. I might talk to our local locksmith / biker to see if he can change the tumblers in the cap lock then the cap key could stay in place unless I'm afraid of gas thieves or mean little kids dropping rocks in the tank.
VBA #656
Black 2007 1600 Nomad

Old 04-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Quote:
Not to worry. The key only goes in halfway in the gas cap. Just have the blank cut for the first half and it won't work in the ignition.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #11

Quote:
That's what I was wondering??? It would be quit obvious would it?

I'd bet you could find one that has a base ring is held in place with one screw and then a top that screw on. Have you tried a google search?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #12

Yellow Jacket has it right. A short key for the cap would not work the ignition. Problem solved!
VBA #656
Black 2007 1600 Nomad

Old 04-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Now let me see, I have the key in the ignition when I pull in to a service station. I just reach over and pull it out and stick it in the gas cap. I must have used five calories doing that. I don't find that to be a big problem unless you don't have fingers.

I'm with Mac and the others. You never know when someone may want to steal your gas. When I am around people I don't know, I don't trust any of them. Most bikers can be trusted, it is the other part of the population I worry about. I don't want to tempt anyone that might be broke and want my gas.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 04-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #14

This has absolutely nothing to do with losing the 5 calories, although that wouldn't hurt me. It has to do with the convenience of simply opening up your gas cap without taking the key out of the ignition and putting it into the slot for the gas cap to fill up the tank. I'm not paranoid about someone stealing my 4 gallons of gas or putting rocks in my tank or anything else... In over 40 years none of that has happened yet and I never had a lid with a lock on it...I simply want to be able to pull up to the pump, lift my lid and fill the tank and close it. Not dealing with a key. American ingenuity is alive and well and I will figure it out. Oops, I hear someone outside my door now trying to steal my 4 gallons of gas, while someone else is walking down my driveway with a bucket, I think he's going to be putting rocks in my unlocked tank, I'll have to get up and burn 20 calories to see what's going on... Thanks for the replys though, it makes me more determined than ever...Jody
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Now let me see, I have the key in the ignition when I pull in to a service station. I just reach over and pull it out and stick it in the gas cap. I must have used five calories doing that. I don't find that to be a big problem unless you don't have fingers.

I'm with Mac and the others. You never know when someone may want to steal your gas. When I am around people I don't know, I don't trust any of them. Most bikers can be trusted, it is the other part of the population I worry about. I don't want to tempt anyone that might be broke and want my gas.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Some folks pull the key out after start-up and pocket it. You can turn the switch nearly off, shutting off all power, and be able to turn switch back on to start w/o the key. Very convienient. The inconvienience is getting to your key(s) to unlock the tank.

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!