Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Pinging help

Since I never had a bike that pinged I assume the clattering sound when the engine is under load is "pinging".When I bought my 2005 I followed every ones advise and installed the Cobra FI2000.The initial settings of 3-5-0 lowered my gas milage to below 35 mpg so I set at 2-4-0.That worked in cool weather with 89 octane.Now that it is 95-100 degrees the clattering started again.I reset the Cobra at 3-5-0 and all is well at normal throttle roll on unless I snap the throttle wide open at higher speeds in 4th or 5th gear and the pinging starts.I guess my question is do I bump up the 3,5,or 0 or just start using 91 octane?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Pinging help

start using 91 octane. Cost wise it's a wash because you get better mileage tuned for premium than mid grade. If not, turn the second pot to 6..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Pinging help

I hope Cj has some answers for you. I have never set up the Cobra unit, and wonder if yours is set up.

I hear what guys do is hold throttle with a throttle lock at ??? RPM. and then pot 1 on the cobra will change RPM, but won't at idle speed. Once I found that out I didn't like Cobra units anymore.

Then I can't understand why you didn't get better MPG's in the first place. I did twice on my 01 and again on my 06 with primitive TFI solder on units.

Explain what it is you have for intake, exhaust, and if you have ISC's or not. Be detailed.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Pinging help

Mac,it's box stock except for the debaffle.Bike has about 9000 miles on it and the Cobra was installed at about 7500 miles.My mpg at 2-4-0 set up was 38-41.When I went to 3-5-0 it was about 38mpg but that was an easy 50-55 mph and only checked once.I can live with it at that setting because it doesn't ping at normal throttle roll on.Like you suggested I thought I would go from 5 to 6 on the second pot and if I stayed off the wide open throttle it shouldn't effect the gas mileage too much.My goal is to let the engine run as cool as possible,keep the gas mileage as high as possible,and stop the ping.For the few times I have to make a quick pass at full throttle I would like it not to clatter.Bottom line is to do what's best for the motor even if the gas mileage suffers.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Pinging help

Like BD says you might want to bump up the octane you are using. That reminds me, I have got to go and buy some octane myself. May just fill up with premium rather than regular this time.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Pinging help

If it were my bike ths is what I would do. I would get my hands on a tach, a shjop tach even with no setting for 2 clys, as many don't have a setting for that, but have a setting for 4.

The real rpm isn't important , but seeing rpm climb is.

I would hook into the left side coils outter most primary wire for the tach with a stepped female slide connector. Fire up the bike, see the tach read something, and allow a warm up time. While the engine was warming up I would go get a box fan and set that up blowing it on the rad and engine.

With that done I would double the engine rpm and lock the throttle with a throttle lock or tape or tie it, to be around 1,800 rpm in real time not a 4 cly tach, but double the idle base what ever the tach says.

Then I would turn all the pots off. And see if RPM dropped any.

Then with just pot 1 turn the pot 1 only up watching the tach, and keep turning to pass best rpm. When you see a drop passing best rpm, go back to best.

See then if it matched your original setting. I'ld like to know that myself. I'ld also like to know if nothing happens.

Pot 2 is road testing for WOT (Wide Open Throttle) I think I might just try setting 5, right off since you get ping on 4.

That's about all I can guess.... Cj is the Cobra guy, atleast he explains it well.

For the coolest possible engine, you need a set of freer flowing pipes. There is not way of getting around that. That will cool the engine, by letting more air in and letting more air out.

By doing that you should also see a increase in power upto 10% depending on what you run for a intake set up, and get better MPG's for it.

Yes that was a surprise to me too the first time. What it proves to me is the ecu setting are so lean the engine strains to idle. This is the first engine in my life where i modded it a little and gave it more fuel and got better MPG's. I did this twice and expected better MPG's the 2nd time.

The fact it did, and guys I installed TFI's for also got better MPG's is plain up straight proof the ecu is too lean. That other proof is ping.

These engines are 9:1 compression ratio engine, and the industry calls for 87 octane in that ration. So may kawwi and the EPA are tryin to pull somebodys leg, and break all the laws of physics. You ask any broom pushin wanna be gear head tech and he will tell yoiu 14 parts air to 1 part fuel IS the correct ratio to strive for too.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #7

Pinging help

c2w, ping is destructive to your engine. Heat and lower altitudes increase it's likleyhood. You might try a antifreeze additive that improves the cooling of your engine and see if that helps.
Beyond that find a tatic that you like and use it. That can be run premium or crank up the FI controller and run regular or use mid grade and back off the controller a bit but always down shift for acceleration.
In a year and 10,000 miles 36mpg vs 40 mpg means 277 gallons vs 250 gallons of gas. 277 gallons of 87 octane cost $997 at $3.60 a gallon. 250 gallons of 91 octane cost $1000 at $4.00 a gallon. The reduced mileage cost is offset by the reduced fuel cost. You come out the same financially so just do what you decide is right for your motor.
Repairing one piston with a hole in it from detonation will cost about the same as 4 years fuel would cost at the 10,000 mile a year average. That knock or rattle that you hear and we call "ping" is not a harmless anoyance like the word "ping" might sound like it is. It is actually a event much like a ballpean hammer whacking the top of your piston as it comes up the cylinder on it's way to top dead center and the combustion event. Ping is nasty!

2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 06-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Pinging help

Even with an FI2000R, open intake and pipes, I was never able to completely alleviate pinging in my 2007 even with premium I could get it to ping on a hot day. This is during the summer months of April-October here in the desert. The rest of the time, I could burn 87 or 89 without pinging.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Pinging help

Az and NH are very different places. I get 0 audible ping, and can't tell is if get any inaudible ping. I think I live 800 feet above sea level.

I am sure the resrictive goat belly holds in heated gasses that ram back into the combustion chamber hard. This is called back pressure and IMO there is too much in the stock set up baffles or no baffels.

There must be some back pressure for these engines as no back pressure would kill low end power, but too much is as bad if not worse.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Pinging help

Open up that air intake next, and then maybe pipes. Gut that straw it is sipping out of between the jugs. If you need more after that, get the pipes. My mileage is about 38 mpg and at times in best conditions 40-41mpg. It will not ping when lugging. It has been 95 degrees lately and still does well. If I get stuck in too much stop and go, idling in traffic, and then punch it, I will get ping. As the engine cools from airflow, it will go back to not pinging. This is on 87octane. I have found equal or better MPG on 87 for what it is worth.

Setup:
Chuckers dual
Cobra FI2000
V&H Baggers

Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #11

Pinging help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese72
Open up that air intake next, and then maybe pipes. Gut that straw it is sipping out of between the jugs. If you need more after that, get the pipes. My mileage is about 38 mpg and at times in best conditions 40-41mpg. It will not ping when lugging. It has been 95 degrees lately and still does well. If I get stuck in too much stop and go, idling in traffic, and then punch it, I will get ping. As the engine cools from airflow, it will go back to not pinging. This is on 87octane. I have found equal or better MPG on 87 for what it is worth.

Setup:
Chuckers dual
Cobra FI2000
V&H Baggers
I am with Cocheese. More mods are needed. The pinging stops when you reduce the heat. Goat belly, lean fuel mixture, hot air intake, is a recipe for pinging. With all the pinging, I would think Nomads would have a reputation for trashing pistons. But they don't.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Pinging help

Since hot weather has arrived I am back to mid-grade and premium. I do not hear any pinging and never have with my '08. During the winter and when we had cooler weather I used 87 octane but now back to the higher grades.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Pinging help

I have a 2007 with Chuckster's intake right side only, stock debaffled pipes coasters, california bike with smog crap removed and a tobeck TFI. I can't stop the ping if in 5th gear. If I am going down the highway at 70-75 showing and start up a small hill, it pings. If I am going 70-75 and roll on the throttle at all it pings. It does not matter if it is 89 or 91 octane. The tfi is currently set at 4-3-1-9
Any suggestions?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Pinging help

Are using a quality gas, Shell, BP, or Marathon?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #15

Pinging help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmjr77
I have a 2007 with Chuckster's intake right side only, stock debaffled pipes coasters, california bike with smog crap removed and a tobeck TFI. I can't stop the ping if in 5th gear. If I am going down the highway at 70-75 showing and start up a small hill, it pings. If I am going 70-75 and roll on the throttle at all it pings. It does not matter if it is 89 or 91 octane. The tfi is currently set at 4-3-1-9
Any suggestions?
I think the second number is too low. I am set at 3-6-1-9. That second number is when you crack the throttle like when you start up hill or roll on throttle. You may need to use some sea foam or other cylinder cleaner. But I bet things will be much better when you raise the second pot. Anyway that is my suggestion.