Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Top Contributor

2010 Voyager observations.

It appears my Voyager is using a little oil. I am putting in a half litre or so every 1000 kms.
Next oil change I am going back to dino oil (Kawasai brand 10w40).
I changed to Amsoil at 5,000 kms hoping it would help with the 1st to 2nd gearchange, it does not.

At 10,000 kms the stock Bridgestones are almost worn out. I have Michelin Commander II's on order. They should be here next week.

I was manouvering the bike in the garage tonight. There was a noise coming from the rear of the bike when I pushed it forwards or backwards. It appears it is the belt making the noise. I put the bike up on the jack and rotated the wheel and its coming from the belt.
Maybe I need some kind of belt dressing ? I do not hear it when I am driving.
I will take a closer look when I take the wheels out next week to have the new tires installed.

While the bike was up in the air I checked for play in the steering head bearings.
It looks like I need to adjust them. I can feel some movement. I had noticed while riding that the front end had some movement in the forks front to back. Not a shimmy in the handlebars, just a deflection in the forks from front to rear. I put it down to the front wheel being out of balance but now I think its play in the neck bearings.

Now at 10,000 kms on the bike and very happy with my purchase. With new tires and some adjustments it should be good for the rest of the season.

Update.
What I thought was play in the neck bearings is actually play in the fork tube bearings (bushes).
I took the steering stem apart tonight and greased the bearings and readjusted them. No play there.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by redjay; 06-11-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #2

What size CommanderII did you order for the rear tire?

Ray
Minnesota
2010-1700-Nomad
VBA#01525

Old 06-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Top Contributor

180/65-16