Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #1

Engine Temp light on.

I read the instructions for changing my coolant on Gadget's page and thought I'd give it a try. The job was pretty straight forward. I Engine Ice to replace the coolant. I ran the engine without the radiator cap for a while to get the air out and there's new coolant in the overflow bottle. I let the engine idle for about 15 minutes whie the cap on when I finished.

The problem is that since I changed the coolant and let the engine idle for 15 minutes, my temperature warning light is on when the bike's not running. As soon as I start the engine, the light goes out.

Anyone have any idea what I could have done to cause the temperature light to stay on? There is no coolant leaking. By the way, it's been about 2 hours since I shut the engine down and the light still comes up when I turn on the ignition switch.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #2

Engine Temp light on.

Sounds like an Air pocket in there somewhere.

When i did mine After filling with coolant I took the water pump drain bolt out to get all the air out of the system.

There is also air bleeder bolt in the casting below radiator cap but I didn't use that the water pump drain did the trick.

I used Engine Ice also, good stuff.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #3

Engine Temp light on.

The light should come on when you turn the key on, but go out after asecond when the bike starts.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #4

Engine Temp light on.

Thanks for the information.

I went out for the evening and just got home and turned the ignition switch on and the temp light still comes on and stays on...the kicker is that when I start the engine the light goes out.

Is there a way to test the fan to make sure I didn't do something to a wire that goes to it? I tried to keep tension off the wires that lead out of the speedometer housing, but it got pushed around a little while I was moving gas tank around.

I'm going to take it for a short ride in the morning to see what happens. When the bike cools, I'll try bleeding the air out of the system again.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Engine Temp light on.

If your ignition switch is in the on position the red light will and should be on. When you start the engine the light will go off unless you have a problem.

If the light is on and your ignition seitch is off then you have a real problem.

Once again, engine switch on and engine not running light should be on. Engine running, light should go out.

Doesn't sound like you have a problem if I am reading your statement right.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #6

Engine Temp light on.

I read your post again and what you describe is normal.

With the key on and engine NOT running the light should be on, start the engine and light goes out this is normal.

This tests the light to be sure it's working before you start the engine.

everything is normal you do not have a problem.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #7

Engine Temp light on.

I read it again also, and it seems to do what it should be doing. Theres nothing wrong.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #8

Engine Temp light on.

I read it again also, and it seems to do what it should be doing. Theres nothing wrong.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #9

Engine Temp light on.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #10

Engine Temp light on.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Engine Temp light on.

I agree there is nothing wrong.

Key switch ON no engine running yet the red light is on, because there is No Oil pressure.

Key on engine started the red light goes off.

Key on engine running for 15 minutes and then the red light comes on you have a problem, either no oil psi (unlikely) or a too hot a engine (not likey in this case).

If you didn't crack the top left water pump bolt loose to bleed trapped air from the pump gallery, you may want to. If you do, this can be done cold, stone cold.

All you do is loosen that bolt and watch closely for bubbles. If you get a constant drip the pump is bleed. If you get bubbles, allow a moment for the air to escape and re-snug that bolt.

Wipe up and that is done.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Engine Temp light on.

Key switch ON no engine running yet the red light is on, because there is No Oil pressure.

Key on engine running for 15 minutes and then the red light comes on you have a problem, either no oil psi (unlikely) or a too hot a engine (not likey in this case).

If you didn't crack the top left water pump bolt loose to bleed trapped air from the pump gallery, you may want to. If you do, this can be done cold, stone cold.

All you do is loosen that bolt and watch closely for bubbles. If you get a constant drip the pump is bleed. If you get bubbles, allow a moment for the air to escape and re-snug that bolt.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Engine Temp light on.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Engine Temp light on.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #15

Engine Temp light on.

Whew....thanks!! I was thinking that was the case, it just goes to show that you can look at things without seeing (i.e. not paying attention to the simple things around you). I took a long ride this morning and all was well.

Steve thanks for the tip about the bleeder bolt on the water pump. I let the engine idle and waited for the air bubbles to stop (this method works fine for a car, but it sure is messy with a 2005 FI Nomad.) I'll check that bolt later this week.