Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Help with new 1999 Nomad

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. About a month ago I got a 1999 VN1500 Nomad, and I've started fixing it up. It looked really great in terms of rust and condition, but now that I'm starting to get into it, it seems like a lot of the maintenance wasn't done, or started being skipped in recent years. I'm not sure how you guys like to do things around here, but I have some questions about it that I'd like to ask. Is it okay that I make one thread for my whole project, or should I split it up into separate issues? Overall I'm considering all the major maintenance items due to be done. I have a Clymer, and a pdf of the Kawi book.

I'll make a proper intro in the right forum here soon, but for now here are some things I could really use some help with. Thanks for reading.

Swingarm
I've been familiarizing myself with the older threads about all the issues with servicing the swingarm and final drive.
-With Honda Moly 60 no longer available, is Honda77 considered acceptable now? Where should I use this, and where should the more average moly grease go, specifically? It seems expensive. I saw someone say they cut the 77 with normal moly. I'm not very familiar with this bike yet, so I could use some help with which grease goes where in the swingarm.
-All Balls doesn't seem to have swingarm bearings for this. Are these the needle bearings I see people mention they are rebuilding, and if so, is that why I'm not to replace them. I'm supposed to rebuild them?
-Are there any items a beginner might not know to order here, o-rings and seals and such?

Carburetor
-In Canada here the season is pretty limited. Have any Canadians done the carb coolant bypass and had problems with it? I'm considering doing that but need more info.
-Any tips for getting the float pin out? On this one there's not really anything to get purchase on, and I'm aftraid to crack the tower if I try to punch it out. It's in there solid.
-Suggestion for a Canadian online source to get carb parts? Sirius doesn't seem to have a full kit for this.
-Bike came with K&N intake and V&H Bagger exhaust (another story). The carb doesn't have a jet kit, and I see V&H makes one themselves? Which one is recommended? I see a DynoJet, V&H, and K&L on the site.

That's probably good for now, there's a bit more but these are what are on my mind at the moment. That and the fact that it's already June and my bike looks like this. Thanks for any help in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (95.7 KB, 61 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by gleam; 06-01-2016 at 08:53 PM.

Tags
carburetor, new member, swingarm