Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-09-2022, 08:14 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Yamaha, Honda, Harley and Indian all make large bore V-twins with a good bit more power than the 1700 produces. If Ma Kaw wants to still have a bit of the big cruiser market she is far behind the competition. Sure the 1700 can get the boosts from Ivan and aftermarket pipes, etc, but really the 1700 needs to be updated.

I recently rented an Indian Pursuit to ride the Twisted Sisters in Texas. The Pursuit is a 912 lb big bike, but it handles easily, and makes GOBs of power stock; 124 hp and 129 ft lb of torque. And it likes to spin the revs easily. Smooth power, very little if any vibes, but, the heat cooking my right calf was significant. Now, it was near 95F on the ride, but I had the lower vents open and I could still really feel the heat.

Up here in east central Wisconsin right now would be great for riding in early to late fall.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-10-2022, 05:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
Yamaha, Honda, Harley and Indian all make large bore V-twins with a good bit more power than the 1700 produces.
Honda? In what? Biggest V-twin they still offer is the 1300cc Fury. Harley and Yamaha are air-cooled (that's a big 'no' from me) and Indians are hella expensive. The Kaws are excellent value and make damn good power with the flash, intake and pipes.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 10-21-2022, 01:35 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Oh, right, the 1800 Honda is no more. That Fury looks to be a useless bike to me, likewise the 1300 Interstate. I just don't like the front wheel kicked way out there like an attempt to be a factory chopper. Air cooled engines aren't bad, I'd consider a Yamaha Eluder or an Indian Chieftain. I've ridden the Indian Pursuit for six hours and MAN did it pump serious heat onto my right calf even with the lower vents open.