Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Sheepskin Baaahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadbehappy
I bought a black one from Costco 2 years ago for $19. it was large enough that I was able to cut it in two and give half to a friend for his bike. It doesn't have any straps to mount it, but I only use it for long trips and simply sewed a couple of pieces of an elastic material and a hook.

Brian
A real sheep hide for 19 bucks??? Or some man made car wash mitt that looks like sheep hide?

I have several and ride or not with no straps. Why would it need a strap if I am sitting on it?

Well, once it was held down on another bike, my Liberty bike, and went up the sissy bar back reast and down to the saddle all one piece.

Another is just tossed on at a whim. I take them off after every ride to air and roll them up fur side in in rain to put away or tie on the rack. Drying these takes a long time, but the ride is well worth it.

No one likes steamed clam or toasted nuts much..

Used to be several place to get Icelandic sheep hides in NH, but they seem to be gone. Wool is going too. it's real hard to find anything in real wool anymore and when you do the price is just nuts.

This is so bad i can't even find a button down dress shirt any more, and so use army navy store blankets and make my own.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #17

Sheepskin Baaahhh

;)

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 05-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #18
Advanced Member

Sheepskin Baaahhh

I would be afraid of sitting on the tank the first time I hit the brakes.
I assume there is some kind of backing that keeps that from happening.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #19
Top Contributor

Sheepskin Baaahhh

Alaska Leather. Enter deadsheep in the coupon box and get 10% off the price.

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/StoreFront

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 05-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #20

Sheepskin Baaahhh

Okay I am sold on getting the sheep skin.....now the question is to add the gel pad or not. What do you all suggest?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #21

Sheepskin Baaahhh

Another question. What size did you get for the Nomad. It says that the medium will fit, but my measuring shows I need a large.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #22

Sheepskin Baaahhh

I used the large and it fit perfectly. I would try the sheepskin before thinking about a gel pad. Just my 2 cents.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #23
Advanced Member

Sheepskin Baaahhh

If you get the whole skin, you can cover both seats. I use a very thin bungy to hold the back from flapping when my wife's not on board, and the center is held down by the back rest. The Airhawk has a non-skid bottome that really holds on to the stock seat. I'm 6'4 and could really use more seat, so skin goes up my tank and does a great job of giving me a little more seat; I don't put my weight on the tank, but it does get the family jewels.

Using the whole skin really gets even the HD riders asking questions at bike nite. It also goes on and off within 10 seconds, but the backrest and it's off.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #24

Sheepskin Baaahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac

I have several and ride or not with no straps. Why would it need a strap if I am sitting on it?

I had a small one that just covered the flat part of the seat. It velcro'd onto a gell pad. I stopped to take a picture in Wyoming in the ever present wind and lost it. I didn't line up the velcro and as soon as I stepped off it was 20 yards away and still moving through a farmers field.

I've got a strap for the new one.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #25

Sheepskin Baaahhh

So, do you use with your current gel pads, or did you get the gel pad with the sheep skin?

Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #26

Sheepskin Baaahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog
So, do you use with your current gel pads, or did you get the gel pad with the sheep skin?
I've had the gel pad for 11 years. They soak up a lot of heat in the summer, and the sheep's skin prevents it from getting so hot.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #27

Sheepskin Baaahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by James "Bubba" Andreu
Any suggestions on the color. Will the black get hot when left in the sun or does it stay cool. I'm asking because my wife has issues with the hot seat after being parked and I wanted to get a black sheepskin for her but she feels that will not help as the black will still get hot. I just can't bring myself to put a white sheepskin on the bike.
Thanks,
In the summer, I carry a small white towel in my saddle bags and when the bike will be sitting in the sun for several hours, I just set it over the seats. I makes a huge difference.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #28

Sheepskin Baaahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist

In the summer, I carry a small white towel in my saddle bags and when the bike will be sitting in the sun for several hours, I just set it over the seats. I makes a huge difference.

My driver's backrest folds forward, and when it's really hot I sometimes park at the right angle to the sun so that when I fold it forward, it shades the seat. That works well too.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #29
Top Contributor

Sheepskin Baaahhh

Ive got a black sheepskin and its not hot in 107 degrees temp in the summer. feels good in the winter too. Mine has been wet a few times and its still like new.