Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

OEM Muffler catalyst 1700 Voyager

Has anyone done a two plate rear de-baffle, and then removed the front baffle plate/disc and left the catalyst in tact?

I really like the sound of the two plate debaffle. It runs much better and the fuel mileage is improved 3-4 mpg on average. Unfortunately the rider felt heat reduction is minimal at best.I am thinking of less restriction and the catalyst will keep it quiet.

I have used Cobra slip-ons with a fuel controller successfully, but extended cruise at interstate speed, especially bucking a wind produces an annoying drone that has had my ears ringing.

I know the big 3 is the answer, but then I am still dealing with loud exhaust and possible intake noise. I don't want it to sound like a sewing machine, but I also don't want hearing loss.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #2

I did the 2 plate removal bak in June 2011, was a nice improvement in sound and power.

RACNRAY

Old 06-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

Yeah, but

I have done and know how it sounds and performs with a 2 plate debaffle. What about the original catalyst question? Cooler, but still quiet? Thanks

Last edited by H8BUGZ; 06-10-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
I did the 2 plate removal bak in June 2011, was a nice improvement in sound and power.

RACNRAY
Is there a write-up on this somewhere? I'm curious now as to what this is

Old 06-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

CBO-you just take a 1 1/4" holesaw to cut the disc out, down inside the mufflers. You can reach the first plate easily. The second one in you will need a drill bit extension. I made a plastic bit stop to prevent catalyst damage from going too deep one the second plate. The catalyst is very close behind the second plate. I had no trouble fishing out the cut plates with a hook bent in a coat hanger. It is still pretty quiet, but has a really nice tone. Not like the original "whoosh" of a Jetson's space ship! I'm still looking for a quiet solution to eliminating rider felt heat.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
CBO-you just take a 1 1/4" holesaw to cut the disc out, down inside the mufflers. You can reach the first plate easily. The second one in you will need a drill bit extension. I made a plastic bit stop to prevent catalyst damage from going too deep one the second plate. The catalyst is very close behind the second plate. I had no trouble fishing out the cut plates with a hook bent in a coat hanger. It is still pretty quiet, but has a really nice tone. Not like the original "whoosh" of a Jetson's space ship! I'm still looking for a quiet solution to eliminating rider felt heat.
When you say that you can reach the first plate easily, please tell me how far into the tailpipe did you go? On my 2013 Nomad 1700, you don't hit anything until 9.5 inches in. Is that what you found?
Freedom Performance Eagle Slip Ons
Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Kit
Batwing fairing

2017 Indian Springfield
Wife who is a great cook!
Manning, SC

Old 06-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

You are probably correct. It's been a while. I would guess 9" first plate, maybe 14" second plate. I know the hex style bit extensions that fit in snap shut tool chucks are not long enough. You will need the set screw type bit extension. The catalyst are way in the front. Maybe 4" thick. There is another disc ahead of the cats. That disc forces exhaust through a series of 3/16 holes before entering the cats. Just like the 5 or 6 rows of holes you can see from looking into the back of a debaffled pipe.The left would be easy to cut out. The RH pipe would need to be dissected because of the bend that goes under the bike. If you want significant volume from the 2 plate removal, I think you might be disappointed. Improved, but not rafter shaking loud. perfect for me, but not that much heat reduction.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
You can wrap the exhaust with header wrap. Should reduce the heat felt in your legs by about 50% from what I have read. I try to ride highway so the heat is not an issue for me unless I get stuck in traffic.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #9

I have my pipes wrapped too! I'm into this bike 1.5 years and 20K miles. That being said, it's apparent I hammer down the road a fair piece. When contemplating this bike purchase, i did not believe heat would really be an issue. I thought it was just the boulevard cruising, bar hopping, sandal wearing crowd that was getting hot.

Yesterday it was 94 degrees here. With wrapped pipes, Cobra slip-ons, frame mount heat deflectors and a fuel controller, my inner forearms, chest and boots felt like I was in front of a hanging shop furnace. This setup works up to about 85 degrees. After that you cook. And I am speaking of highway speeds of 65-80 mph.

Can anyone with the big 3 honestly say that they don't experience the same thing.

BOTH HEAT AND SOUND ARE SO SUBJECTIVE FROM ONE PERSON TO ANOTHER.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #10

I have no issue with heat as long as I'm moving.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 06-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #11

I bet removing the catalysts would help lower the heat. They are there to burn up whatever is left unburnt from the engine, so you know they are a heat source.
Cobra Scalloped Slip-ons

Thunder Mfg. Intake Gasket
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Corbin heated seat.
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 with Mobil 1 M1-110 filter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Chrome passenger running board covers
All new fluids and lube.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #12

It's a big v-twin. Nothing will get rid of that heat.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 06-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
Top Contributor

I never had a heat issue unless stopped in traffic on a 30c day.

If you are getting hot from the engine at 65 to 80 mph there is something wrong.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #14

baffle removal

I recently removed the front baffle and re adjusted the dobeck 2050st processor so far I see no difference in noise as for power the first baffle made noticeable difference in torque esp. when pulling up moderate grades the second made slight improvement but the noise increased a little and has an irritating krackling noise on decal the overall increase in noise is moderate both # 2 plates fell down under the cats & so far have not been able to get them out with magnets or hooks the cat material is 5-6 inches long & with it removed I think the noise would be to much

Old 06-17-2015, 01:14 AM   #15

I went through the painful process of de-baffling and gutting the catalysts from my stock mufflers last year. It had a nice sound when all was said and done, but took probably 30 hours of work from start to finish. This of course meant completely separating the innards of the mufflers from the shells, cutting the innards open, removing the catalysts, drilling out all the baffle plates, re-welding the inner muffler body back together, reinstalling the innards back into the muffler shells, welding the shells shut, and having the canisters re-chromed. It was a neat experience, but, lesson learned. $400 for a set of slip-ons is way cheaper than 30 hours of my time.