Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobbs74 View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of this hose would you? I'm trying to figure out where it is on the air box
Remove the right side air box cover and look at about the 11:00 oclock position of the black back part of the air box, you will see a hole. on the back side of that hole is the hose that needs to be plugged up.

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by RACNRAY; 04-30-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #17

As per RACNRAY'S suggestion. I plugged this port with black silicone. It did eliminate 80% of the backfiring after I installed the slash cuts. I'm guessing a PCV and a good tune would make it perfect.
Avon Grips with Ray's Throttle Mod
Vance and Hines slipons

Old 04-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #18

Send a message via MSN to cndfireman
I also did the marble in the hose fix and installed a gasket in between the intake and throttle plate as other posts have suggested. I have noticed a 90% improvement in the popping on decel. Something I can definitely live with until I can find 500$ for a fuel processor.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Remove the right side air box cover and look at about the 11:00 oclock position of the black back part of the air box, you will see a hole. on the back side of that hole is the hose that needs to be plugged up.

RACNRAY
I have the FP true duals installed with stock air intake. Would it be a good idea to plug this hose for this setup also?
VBA#02576

Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #20

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav1 View Post
I have the FP true duals installed with stock air intake. Would it be a good idea to plug this hose for this setup also?
It would be a good idea to plug the hose even if you did nothing else to your bike. ALL Kawasaki's V-Twins need to have this hose plugged.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-01-2014, 02:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynker View Post
It would be a good idea to plug the hose even if you did nothing else to your bike. ALL Kawasaki's V-Twins need to have this hose plugged.

Why is that?
VBA #02592

Bash In the Bitterroots 2014
SE Rally in Nacoochee Valley 2016

Don't regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #22

I've marbled the hose, changed the crush washers and a friend has tried the Fuel programer, both our bikes pop on decel. Its worse if you dont close the throttle completely. My thinking is that its cool air being sucked back into the mufflers creating popping when it hits the hot air and metal inside the muffler. Trying some drag baffles in the inlet to the slip-ons, ordered them tonight. Check out the GREAT advice I got on a tread I started, "Taming V&H slip-ons"

Old 05-08-2014, 03:46 AM   #23
Top Contributor

Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #24

Just listen to racnray ........the man is the best and most accurate on kawasaki mechanics.......

Old 05-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post

RACNRAY
Plugged the hole and took a nice ride the other day. Definite improvement on the popping and backfiring on decel. Probably more than 70% better.
VBA#02576

Old 05-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav1 View Post
Plugged the hole and took a nice ride the other day. Definite improvement on the popping and backfiring on decel. Probably more than 70% better.
I took the airbox off and I see the hole. Do I just plug the hole or do I take the hose off and plug the hose

Old 05-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #27
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynker View Post

Even with a stock exhaust?
Rockford Fosgate Punch PEQ Equalizer
Garmin Nuvi 4555 GPS Unit
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Laam Custom Seat w/modified Backrest
Avon Grips w/RACNRAY's mod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Clearview Large Windshield
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

"I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas A. Edison

Old 05-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobbs74 View Post
I took the airbox off and I see the hole. Do I just plug the hole or do I take the hose off and plug the hose
Okay......filled 'er up with 89 octane today and took a nice ride. I have to say I was smiling ear to ear the whole time now that the significant popping and backfiring is reduced. There is still a little bit, but totally tolerable.
The combo of Cobra Power Pro, FP Exhaust, Corbin seat, and Ray's throttle mod have turned this Vaq into the finest ride ever (for me)! It sounds unbelievable and runs with smooth power now. Can't wait for my first long trip in June.

For plugging the hole, I believe the "right" way to do it would be to pull the hose and plug it with a marble. I took the easy way out and plugged the hole from the front with a good dose of clear silicone with a 204degrees C rating. After my last ride, I pulled the cover and the silicone looked fine and was intact. I'll check it again in a couple of weeks.
VBA#02576

Old 06-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #29
Advanced Member

Vulcanhunterbagger...I have the same backfiring prob with the Cobra FI2000R pro auto tuner and Vance and Hines 2-1 pro pipe on my Vaquero also....and I know my system is tight, I always do my own exhaust work and re-torque the nuts a few times. It is likely the pair system and a tech at the local Kaw stealership here in town agrees. I had the same problem on my '02 Kaw meanstreak 1500 and eliminated the problem by taking out the whole smog system and plugging the valve off going into the throttle body. I am mounting a new intake from Roaring Toyz next week and when I take off the stock air bowl on the left side, should expose that hose going to the pair system. I will plug it off and report the results later after test riding. HOPE IT WORKS RACNRAY THANKS FOR THE TIP!!

Old 06-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #30

RACNRAY, hello. New guy here!..Thinking about plogging this kleen are hose on my 13 Voyager, is there any long term negative effects to the engine that your aware of? or is this just a emission / smog thing. I currently have the Cobra slip on's with a FI2000R tuner, I also added that Thunder gasket to the Throttle body. Bike runs well!!.Just still just a little nagging exhaust pop every now and then.
Thanx in advance!